Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living off grid

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The main goal is to avoid the County Council if at all possible.

I believe you'd need permission for a soak away? They'd want you to build a septic tank wouldnt they?

You should be able to get away with a composting toilet, or there's a place down here where they are using a reed bed to process the waste. This at least doesn't use any power as far as I know. The council tends to push plastic septic tanks with a little pump in them on a lot of people, obviously this would create a very high base load for an off the power grid system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its strange how people can be so anti-living off the grid and want to throw everyone into towns where they are completely dependent on what the council and the shops have to offer. It seems like they are only interested in factory farming people to drive up the GDP of the country or something

Infuriating.

As far as I can see you need "planning permission" to go and live outdoors, under a tree.

And you wont get it.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Infuriating.

As far as I can see you need "planning permission" to go and live outdoors, under a tree.

And you wont get it.

I wouldn't believe that so quickly, there are quite a few county councils in this country. Maybe some have bought into the 'lets throw them all into tiny cages in the city' ideology but surely not all. There's also a nonzero amount of people living off the grid already (or still).

If you put in a good application, maybe enlist an architect or an engineer and back up your figures - how much power you're going to need, water, etc and how your system is going to generate enough I don't see why they would refuse you. If you go in with the attitude that they're all out to get you you'll get nowhere. Even if you get refused there are 31 more counties to try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Our problem is that we already have the land. And its in a very touristy area in the west, even though the land itself is hidden away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AuntieCap

Hi all
    Currently off grid, its challenging to say the least
    but it generates a cosy satisfaction that keeps
    me keen and the wee family safe n warm.....
    Im lookin for folk in the same boat for some troubleshooting
    skillshare n good life hacking
    Peace
    M

• Advertisement

AuntieCap wrote: »
    Hi all
    Currently off grid, its challenging to say the least
    but it generates a cosy satisfaction that keeps
    me keen and the wee family safe n warm.....
    Im lookin for folk in the same boat for some troubleshooting
    skillshare n good life hacking
    Peace
    M

What sort of troubleshooting and what part of the country do you be in?

Hi ****bag
    SXSW doorstep to west cork....
    need some wiring help really, a couple of mini usb hubs
    about the place would help, but need to step it down from 12dc to 5dc..
    electronics not my strong point but some folk might have this in place already...
    Are you off grid
    M

sorry bout the expletive mods....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi ****bag
    electronics not my strong point but some folk might have this in place already...
    Are you off grid
    M

Step 1. Buy one or more cigarette lighter USB adapters (for a car).

Step 2. Solder wires to the connections on the adapter, the pin at the back is positive and the tabs on the sides are negative.

Step 3. Buy a junction box and a blanking plate,install adapter in box,you will have to do this so that the port is on the side of the box.

Step 4. Mount your new USB socket where needed and wire back to your 12v system.

Step 5. Enjoy.

Disclaimer.... If you're not confident in your ability to complete the above then don't do it. Remember electricity is dangerous, regardless of the voltage.

Hey thanks for that.....
    I'm hoping for something more elaborate
    Don't trust those cigarette sockets much...
    lookin for a transformer down to a 4 way hub...
    thanks again...
    Anyone given this a shot:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hey thanks for that.....
    I'm hoping for something more elaborate
    Don't trust those cigarette sockets much...
    lookin for a transformer down to a 4 way hub...
    thanks again...
    Anyone given this a shot:-)

Transformers are rarely used these days and for DC to DC a transformer wouldn't work without a load of electronics anyway.

I'd do the job with one of these type of 12v>5V Converters thats a fairly powerful one which can handle 25W you could get a much cheaper one.

You'd also want a fuse on the 12V input side and I'd put another on the 5V side just to be sure. You can use automotive (car) fuses for both. Probably 5amp on both sides would be OK.

Hi ****bag
    Are you off grid
    M

I'm not but I made a 12 to 5v switching regulator from parts not too long ago. You need to make sure the thing you get is a switching regulator or it will waste far too much power (about 70%). The ones I have here are only 1A but I'm tempted to make more powerful ones as phones these days draw more than 1A from the charger.
    You can get switching regulators (3A) on ebay for a couple of quid, they just take long to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

I wonder has anyone done a dry toilet and nobody has bothered them about it ? does the local council come out and ask you about your loo? i have managed to get a generator for heavy diy jobs, drills etc. i wonder has anyone here done a small wind turbine ?

It has taken me nearly a year to get things together but i am now ready. everything finally signed up.....anyone with new tips on living off grid ? I have watched endless clips on youtube, mostly american, , are there any irish ones online? anyone else down in the south west that would like to share imformation? making the use of my last month with constant internet access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

if you live off-grid and are 100% self sufficient the greedy tax man won't get a bean out of you.. and that just won't do... they want money out of you whatever way they can get it...
    Its strange how people can be so anti-living off the grid and want to throw everyone into towns where they are completely dependent on what the council and the shops have to offer. It seems like they are only interested in factory farming people to drive up the GDP of the country or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

cambasque wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone done a dry toilet and nobody has bothered them about it ? does the local council come out and ask you about your loo? i have managed to get a generator for heavy diy jobs, drills etc. i wonder has anyone here done a small wind turbine ?

I met a guy i went to school with who is an electrician, he showed me a project he did with a turbine, car alternator and batteries that he now runs his garage off

CamperMan wrote: »
    if you live off-grid and are 100% self sufficient the greedy tax man won't get a bean out of you.. and that just won't do... they want money out of you whatever way they can get it...

Except for the property tax Pig Phil brought in. Only the homeless and members of the friendly traveling community escape that one. One could always horse down a dwelling where nobody would care to look and take the risk

Still don't know why they insisted on bringing that in. The 100 odd million it brought in isn't going to save Ireland. It seems more like that somewhere in some high up EU office that we mortals don't know about there is a sheet of paper with boxes left unticked if a place doesn't have property tax, post codes or water charges and something must be done about it for the sake of conforming to the European model.

that sounds a bit right, most of europe have all those taxes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

This is something I am becoming more & more interested in. I recently met an elderly man(83yrs old) who lives in an isolated rural area. He is living here with over 17yrs & told me that he searched very hard to find a place that offered such isolation. He is harvesting rain water, has free flowing water from a spring at the top of the hill & up until this year was growing all his own veg & kept his own chickens and pigs.

He is basically living in a cabin in the woods. He told me he had plans to install his own wind turbine but just never got around to it. The only electricity he has is for a radio & cooker.

The question I have for ye is do isolation & off-grid go hand in hand? The reason I ask is because I can only imagine that if I was to do it myself, off-grid that is, that I would like to do it in a similar area to where this guy lives. Opinions please...

Kiltris wrote: »
    This is something I am becoming more & more interested in. I recently met an elderly man(83yrs old) who lives in an isolated rural area. He is living here with over 17yrs & told me that he searched very hard to find a place that offered such isolation. He is harvesting rain water, has free flowing water from a spring at the top of the hill & up until this year was growing all his own veg & kept his own chickens and pigs.

He is basically living in a cabin in the woods. He told me he had plans to install his own wind turbine but just never got around to it. The only electricity he has is for a radio & cooker.

The question I have for ye is do isolation & off-grid go hand in hand? The reason I ask is because I can only imagine that if I was to do it myself, off-grid that is, that I would like to do it in a similar area to where this guy lives. Opinions please...

Not necessary, you could probably take a terrace house off the grid if you wanted although it isn't done too often and tis handy if you have land to grow stuff and can put up a turbine without the neighbours complaining it lowers the tone. Met a few people there recently who were the only 2 in habitants of an island, but their family owns the house and tis only used for part of the year, but they didn't seem like the 'hermit' type who want to be isolated all the time

• Advertisement

I suppose when I look at it, the guy I met was looking for isolation and the whole self sufficiency thing came with it, considering where he is and his circumstances etc. I wonder do a lot of off-griders seek a certain amount of isolation, no distractions, away from the hustle & bustle of the modern fast paced life everybody nowadays is living or is it just to live a greener, possibly bill free life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Kiltris wrote: »
    I suppose when I look at it, the guy I met was looking for isolation and the whole self sufficiency thing came with it, considering where he is and his circumstances etc. I wonder do a lot of off-griders seek a certain amount of isolation, no distractions, away from the hustle & bustle of the modern fast paced life everybody nowadays is living or is it just to live a greener, possibly bill free life.

You don't need to be far from a town to get a good deal of isolation. In Ireland you could be quite isolated yet no more than ten miles from a county town. Just put up gates and get a couple of big dogs and you can be totally isolated.

my3cents wrote: »
    You don't need to be far from a town to get a good deal of isolation. In Ireland you could be quite isolated yet no more than ten miles from a county town. Just put up gates and get a couple of big dogs and you can be totally isolated.

Very true. All depends on what each individual is after I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

certainly something im becoming more and more interested in as i get older. i even done ray mears's fundamentals of bushcraft course a few years ago just to see what the story is. im sure people live off the grid for many different reasons but i suspect a lot of these people live a very peaceful life away from all the distractions of city life. i greatly respect the skills and knowledge required to do so, so hats off to these people. i also suspect off the grid people have a much greater respect for themselves, others and the environment compared to most of us living otherwise.

Advertisement