Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection to eFibre network?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I looked in to getting eFibre for my house and saw that we were located in the correct area (according to the map on eircom's website) to receive this package. However, as a check I ran our land line number through the test and was disappointed to see that our line was not suitable for eFibre? 

Is there any that eircom could do in order to fix this? I think it is because we are connected directly to the exchange rather than the new cabinets being installed. 

I did a bit of research on the area im living in (Kilcoole) and it appears that people living north and south of appear to qualify for this. 

We are currently with SKY, but since eircom own the lines are you in charge of connecting lines to the network?

I also located about 5 possible cabinets (in and around Kilcoole) our house could connect to, so I am just wondering if we could be connected to this network?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lilywhitebhoy

Good man Simon I came on here to ask the exact same question as we live in a 10 yr old estate  in Dundalk and our lines bypass the cab around the corner and go directly to the exchange 3.3km away which equates to a maximum 4mb broadband.  So I was wondering what it would take to get eircom to connect our estate to the cab 240 meters from the house in the direction of the exchange. There's only 17 houses in our estate so a 25 pair is all that's needed and I'm certain there is at least one empty block in the cab. All it would take is a splice in the manhole at the cab. 

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SimonFM

Good man Simon I came on here to ask the exact same question as we live in a 10 yr old estate  in Dundalk and our lines bypass the cab around the corner and go directly to the exchange 3.3km away which equates to a maximum 4mb broadband.  So I was wondering what it would take to get eircom to connect our estate to the cab 240 meters from the house in the direction of the exchange. There's only 17 houses in our estate so a 25 pair is all that's needed and I'm certain there is at least one empty block in the cab. All it would take is a splice in the manhole at the cab. 
    Such is life :( <3. I dream of watching Netflix with not having to wait for Kevin Spacey's face to not be blurred out in 'House of Cards' </3 . 
    I'm just assuming it only takes changing our line from the exchange to the cabinets, but SKY can't do anything until Eircom upgrade the network. Our house it right outside where the fibre cable runs so it's frustrating when we can't connect to it when it's only 10 metres from the house (give or take) and sure we stop them as they went passed and asked them what they were laying down. 

Its just annoying to know that something so good is (Literally) outside your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Sky fibre isn't in Ireland yet anyway.. They won't give you any information either, unless you offered to join them.. 

Sky fibre isn't in Ireland yet anyway.. They won't give you any information either, unless you offered to join them.. 
    But surely eircom can still connect us up the existing network that will give us greater than 200 kb/s download? Because I know that SKY package exists in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They won't do it. 

• Advertisement

They won't do it. 
    because we are not Eircom user or because it's too much hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They just have a policy at the moment of not moving people to cabinets if they are not connected to them. Doesn't matter if Eircom customer or not. 

They just have a policy at the moment of not moving people to cabinets if they are not connected to them. Doesn't matter if Eircom customer or not. 
    Do you know why this is?

SimonFM wrote: »
    But surely eircom can still connect us up the existing network that will give us greater than 200 kb/s download? Because I know that SKY package exists in Ireland

Sky fibre isn't in Ireland

Do you know why this is?

Why would they, they make more money if you're on their network rather than with Sky or UPC etc

• Advertisement

Do you know why this is?

Why would they, they make more money if you're on their network rather than with Sky or UPC etc
    because they own the lines? and it would benefit them to do it now rather than later.... but I see your point.
    if we were with them, would we get stand a better chance of being upgraded?

because they own the lines? and it would benefit them to do it now rather than later.... but I see your point.

You stand a better chance of being told you're able to avail of it... No, is the answer to your question. They'll upgrade the exchange regardless, but I wonder if more people on eircom in a certain area would get them to upgrade the exchange faster... Example: 10 minutes from me the VDSL cabs were installed, months ago... Yet I'm still waiting and eircom can tell me nothing..

You stand a better chance of being told you're able to avail of it... No, is the answer to your question. They'll upgrade the exchange regardless, but I wonder if more people on eircom in a certain area would get them to upgrade the exchange faster... Example: 10 minutes from me the VDSL cabs were installed, months ago... Yet I'm still waiting and eircom can tell me nothing..
    so there's a chance that they could have seen this post and ignored it? :( </3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

so there's a chance that they could have seen this post and ignored it? :( </3
    No, the reps don't work on weekends and tomorrow is a bank holiday so it will be more than likely Tuesday before you receive a reply from a Rep.

No, the reps don't work on weekends and tomorrow is a bank holiday so it will be more than likely Tuesday before you receive a reply from a Rep.

They reply will be asking for you address.. (Through PM) they'll then check the plans... I've seen a few threads, but no ones ever said if they were right or not..

Advertisement