Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a baby in Vancouver

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Everyone,

I am a Galway girl who has been in Vancouver for almost 2 years. Like it a lot, it's not home though and we miss everyone but making the most of it. I am 5 weeks pregnant and due our first child on Dec 29th. Wondering has anyone any experience having a child abroad. Not sure how we'll cope without family but I guess we just have to get on with it. Very excited :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Congrats :D:D

From what ive heard its bloody expensive! My workmates wive is American and they had there first child here last year. Cant remember how much of the top of my head but it was alot of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oak2014

Haha no we are actually fine in that regard, we have insurance. But I do know that they chuck you out as soon as you give birth. You don't get 2 or three nights in hospital...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Oak2014 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am a Galway girl who has been in Vancouver for almost 2 years. Like it a lot, it's not home though and we miss everyone but making the most of it. I am 5 weeks pregnant and due our first child on Dec 29th. Wondering has anyone any experience having a child abroad. Not sure how we'll cope without family but I guess we just have to get on with it. Very excited :)

SO i'm guessing the feckin New Years eve party is cancelled.

Congrats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Hi Everyone,

We had a baby here in Edmonton 2 years ago.
    Care was really good
    Total cost to us was 60 bucks for a semi private room
    You will not be delayed long in the hospital,
    We got two nights just because baby arrived just before midnight.
    They will generally keep you until the baby does it's first pee and poop.

We had no family around but we coped OK, it's a matter of getting on with it really, you'll find your feet pretty quick!

Yes I guess you have to find your feet very fast. So you found the whole experience a positive one then? I have my first gyn apt on May 12th, and probably a scan in June sometime. It's our first baby so I cannot compare the Irish system but I think they are very good here. Here is hoping anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Hi Everyone,

I'm another Galway person here in Vancouver.
    My brother and his girlfriend had a baby in Australia last year and my parents flew out for the birth.
    A couple I know in Vancouver from Kerry recently had a baby and they are very happy.
    Congratulations!

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I'm another Galway person here in Vancouver.
    My brother and his girlfriend had a baby in Australia last year and my parents flew out for the birth.
    A couple I know in Vancouver from Kerry recently had a baby and they are very happy.
    Congratulations!

Ah thats great. Do you know if the Kerry couple had a good experience with the hospitals etc?
    How are you liking Vancouver yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Ah thats great. Do you know if the Kerry couple had a good experience with the hospitals etc?
    How are you liking Vancouver yourself?

I like Vancouver even though I'm currently put of work so that's not so good.
    I'm 2 years here now.

I haven't been talking to the couple from Kerry in a while but I've seen Facebook photos and I'm delighted for them.
    I'll be talking to them soon I think, I might call over to them.
    I'll let you know.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

Hi Ladies, we're here 2 years also and I'm currently pregnant with our first, due in Nov and thrilled. I've signed up with a midwife and will deliver in BC Woman's as we live Downtown. So far the care here has been amazing, I can ring my midwife anytime I need to and the appointments are usually over half hour long so I can ask a million and one questions. I've had tests and exams and blood draws and it's all covered by MSP which is a huge weight off our minds!

All our family is back home too so it's scary thinking about the first few months by ourselves but plenty of people have done it and I'm sure it'll be grand.

Whereabouts are you thinking you'll deliver?

tinyfox wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, we're here 2 years also and I'm currently pregnant with our first, due in Nov and thrilled. I've signed up with a midwife and will deliver in BC Woman's as we live Downtown. So far the care here has been amazing, I can ring my midwife anytime I need to and the appointments are usually over half hour long so I can ask a million and one questions. I've had tests and exams and blood draws and it's all covered by MSP which is a huge weight off our minds!

All our family is back home too so it's scary thinking about the first few months by ourselves but plenty of people have done it and I'm sure it'll be grand.

Whereabouts are you thinking you'll deliver?

Congratulations!!!! That's great. how are you feeling? We live down the road from BC Woman's hospital so i'll be delivering there too!! I went to a walk in clinic downtown (one we normally go to) and they refered me to a GYN. I have an under active thyroid that's why they refered me to a GYN. I have my appointment on May 12th. Not sure if that the same as a midwife?!! haha I've had bloods taken, that's it so far. It is exciting though!

• Advertisement

Well I had my first OB appointment this morning and it went great. I have an ultrasound next week (I'll be 8weeks). The doctor was great, friendly and i can email him anytime with questions. Yayyyy ;)

Advertisement