Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool U21 v Manchester Utd U21 Premier League Play-Off Semi-Final

• 01-05-2014 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

icmef5.jpg

No proper preview from the LFC official site but some stats - Liverpool U21s have scored 55 goals this season over 21 games, conceding 30 and so rather reflecting the senior side.

Liverpool who are managed by Alex Inglethorpe play a fluid 4-3-3 as a rule often without an actual proper striker as they are either on loan or injured or in the U18s, with goals being spread across the front six.

This is fairly typical recent starting 11

Fulton,
    Randall, Paez, Jones, Smith
    Peterson Rossiter Lussey,
    Brannagan, Dunn Teixeira,

I'd expect to see the best U18 forward players in the squad - Ojo, Sinclair, Wilson, Kent

EDIT - Ojo and Sinclair played in todays U18 win against Bolton

Here is the Man Utd preview
    "When you're this close, you want to win it," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "We know it's going to be a tough game. I just hope everyone is fit and available and we put on a Manchester United performance."

James Wilson and James Weir have been carrying knocks but both have been vital in the run-in, scoring some crucial goals.

"Wilson came off at Reading because we were just wary of losing him altogether for the rest of the season," explained Joyce. "Hopefully, he will still play a part this season. Weir has done tremendously well but has not trained a great deal between games. Some of them are getting wrapped in cotton wool a little bit as they've had a long, hard season and picked up little niggles from time to time."

The two clubs met in United's opening U21 game of the season when Adnan Januzaj starred for the home side and Fabio Borini, who will play for Sunderland at Old Trafford this weekend, scored twice for Liverpool in a 4-2 victory. Only four of United's 16 players on duty in August appear likely to run out at Anfield - Ben Amos, Guillermo Varela, Charni Ekangamene and unused substitute Joe Rothwell - emphasising the changing nature of the squad this term.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

United's best chance to restore some pride and do one over on Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bit off topic but I personally wouldn't be the biggest fan of U-21. I don't really see the difference moving from the reserve format to the U-21 format has made.

I think 99% of the players that are really going to step up and do the business for their clubs will be involved with their first teams or out on loan in the lower leagues at the sort of age they're supposed to be playing in these competitions.

It's handy for giving first team players that need a bit of match fitness a run but overall that's not what it's there for and it seems a bit of a waste to me.

I've been to a few of the Sunderland games, and while it's excellent value being free for season ticket holders and only a couple of quid for others, it's clear that none of the U-21 players that have not been involved with the first team thus far will ever make it in the Premier League.

I'm unsure what it's like at other clubs but how many of these Liverpool players are likely to go on to do anything for the first team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paully D wrote: »
    Bit off topic but I personally wouldn't be the biggest fan of U-21. I don't really see the difference moving from the reserve format to the U-21 format has made.

I think 99% of the players that are really going to step up and do the business for their clubs will be involved with their first teams or out on loan in the lower leagues at the sort of age they're supposed to be playing in these competitions.

It's handy for giving first team players that need a bit of match fitness a run but overall that's not what it's there for and it seems a bit of a waste to me.

I've been to a few of the Sunderland games, and while it's excellent value being free for season ticket holders and only a couple of quid for others, it's clear that none of the U-21 players that have not been involved with the first team thus far will ever make it in the Premier League.

I'm unsure what it's like at other clubs but how many of these Liverpool players are likely to go on to do anything for the first team?

The league is being tweaked again for next season but I doubt it'll make much difference to the nature of it - there are too few games and that will remain the case, the only good news is that Liverpool will now be in the UEFA Champions League Youth tournament as a fillip. As for players, well Sterling is the shining light from the Academy - he looked the business from the first moment really. Several others are on loan making a mark - Conor Coady at Sheffield Utd, Suso at Almeria, Wisdom at Derby, its very hard to be certain about who will make it as todays 17 year old hot shot might well hit a wall and drift out of contention by 19 but there are a number I'd have hopes for - Jordan Rossiter, Jack Dunn, Cameron Branagan, Harry Wilson, Jordon Ibe (now on loan), Brad Smith, Ryan Mclaughlin (also on loan), Joao Carlos Teixeira.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Liverpool profile

BU21PL leading scorers
    10 Jack Dunn
    7 Kristoffer Peterson
    6 Joao Carlos Teixeira

BU21PL leading appearances
    20 Lloyd Jones
    17 Jordan Rossiter
    16 Jack Dunn
    14 Brad Smith
    13 Cameron Brannagan

Usual formation
    Diamond, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Usual style of play
    Alex Inglethorpe's side play the same way as the first team. They can play a diamond formation, 4-2-3-1 and even a 4-3-3. They play a slick, fast-passing and pressing game.

Man Utd profile

Leading appearances
    18 Reece James
    17 Charni Ekangamene
    16 Guillermo Varela

Leading scorers
    7 James Wilson
    6 Jesse Lingard
    3 James Weir, Larnell Cole

Formation
    4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1

Usual style of play
    James Wilson leads the line with two holding midfielders and an emphasis on width, especially on the right with Saidy Janko and Guillermo Varela doubling up down that side.

Hopefully Wilson is fit for this one. Could do with his lethal finishing tonight.

• Advertisement

Nice one, should get to see this tonight

oh and MUTV showing this free-to-air tonight for those without BT Sport.

TheTownie wrote: »
    oh and MUTV showing this free-to-air tonight for those without BT Sport.

Hopefully Paddy Crerand is commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Remember watching previous U21/Reserve games between United & Liverpool and they carry the spirited rivalry through on the pitch in those too, if not more so than the senior fixtures due to a greater deal of local talent playing.

If I remember correctly, there was a tie being played at Anfield a year or two ago where there was 3 or 4 red cards and a good few goals in what was a tight game. Was one of the most enjoyable matches I had seen in a long time at that stage, hopefully it'll be the same tonight.

Nailz wrote: »
    Remember watching previous U21/Reserve games between United & Liverpool and they carry the spirited rivalry through on the pitch in those too, if not more so than the senior fixtures due to a greater deal of local talent playing.

If I remember correctly, there was a tie being played at Anfield a year or two ago where there was 3 or 4 red cards and a good few goals in what was a tight game. Was one of the most enjoyable matches I had seen in a long time at that stage, hopefully it'll be the same tonight.

I think Flanno or Stephen Sama saw red, Januzaj was very good in that game

• Advertisement

Fulton
    McLaughlin - Paez - Jones - Smith
    Williams
    Branagan - Lussey-
    ----Peterson - Dunn - Teixeira

Rossiter injured :(

Utd

BmpkN2-IYAAzDvm.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

is this free on chorus? or just sky? (MUTV)

Utd XI: Amos; Varela, McNair, Ekangamene, James; Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira; Lawrence, Janko, Wilson

Subs: J.Pereira, Weir, Harrop, Love, Willock

lordgoat wrote: »
    is this free on chorus? or just sky? (MUTV)

Chorus? Are you typing from the 90s? ;)

Its on BT Sport subscription and either MUtv or LFCtv or by looking into a stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

First can of guinness open. Looking forward to this! :)

Liverpool as shaky as Shaky Stevens on a Kangoo Hammer drill but starting to get better possession.

should have buried that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very surprising to see rossiter not involved, surely injured?

klose wrote: »
    Very surprising to see rossiter not involved, surely injured?

injured

Man Utd pick up teh first yellow card, JCT fouled with the ball glued to his feet.

*sign on sign on, you'll never work again* Kuality NOT! :p

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Man Utd pick up teh first yellow card, JCT fouled with the ball glued to his feet.

Was hardly a bad tackle.

Pereira Special !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wowzers. Some goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

What a goal :D Get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Another belgian?? What's goin on down there?

Great strike!

Jack Dunn nearly with a quick reply as we head to HT

paulieeye wrote: »
    Another belgian?? What's goin on down there?

Grew up in Belgium but parents are Brazilian. said he wants to represent Brazil.

Glued to his feet? Is that sarcasm? It was an awful touch and the tackle was all ball. Maybe a free but no way a card.

Tom Lawrence best player on the pitch in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

lordgoat wrote: »
    Glued to his feet? Is that sarcasm? It was an awful touch and the tackle was all ball. Maybe a free but no way a card.

Tom Lawrence best player on the pitch in the first half.

Teixeira running him close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I'm impressed from the bits I've seen of Tom Lawrence. Man U's Best Player on the Pitch so far.

Peterson's too Quiet. We probably need Wilson to come on to RW, and move Peterson to LW and Tex to AM. We are too Predictable in our Attack.

I'm impressed from the bits I've seen of Tom Lawrence. Man U's Best Player on the Pitch so far.

Peterson's too Quiet. We probably need Wilson to come on to RW, and move Peterson to LW and Tex to AM. We are too Predictable in our Attack.

Lawrence looks a good player all right. Wilson seems isolated, but doesn't need many chances. He could get a goal if he gets half a chance

Utd defence is well drilled, I guess Nicky Butt is going to make sure of that! Liverpool faced with 9/10 men once they have the ball, Wilson would be useful as would Ibe or Sterling ;)

Utd defence is well drilled, I guess Nicky Butt is going to make sure of that! Liverpool faced with 9/10 men once they have the ball, Wilson would be useful as would Ibe or Sterling ;)

We really miss Ibe. The U-21s are Toothless without him.

Another thing is Dunn, though Good, is not a Natural Striker. I wonder why we didn't Buy one?

Dcully wrote: »
    Teixeira running him close.

He's been good, great control but in terms of a threat, he hasn't shown it yet.

This could be more down to how the team is set up.

Similar to Wilson; up front on his own looks isolated but needs more from his team mates to bring him into the game.

• Advertisement

Another thing is Dunn, though Good, is not a Natural Striker. I wonder why we didn't Buy one?

This could be quite wrong but I wonder if Inglethorpe is happy enough to continue without one as it forces other players to be a bit more clever and to play their way into shooting positions using brains rather than pace, physical power/height

I'm not sure Butt has much to do with that. Warren Joyce does the vast majority of the coaching for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Does Nicky Butt have his coaching badges?

How was that not a booking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How was that not a booking ?

Just hacked him down, silly decision.
    United should really have this wrapped up by now, much the better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Score?

Score?

Liverpool 0-1 Man U.

Just hacked him down, silly decision.
    United should really have this wrapped up by now, much the better team.

Been very impressed by Lawrence and some of the interchanging has been brilliant to watch.

We look really solid at the back and Liverpool have offered nothing in this second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Much different Liverpool team from the start of the season. All better players are loaned out, I say next season they should keep as many and let them get some sort of European experience with the U21 Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Much different Liverpool team from the start of the season. All better players are loaned out, I say next season they should keep as many and let them get some sort of European experience with the U21 Champions League

the same could be the same for all the top clubs who loan out their best young players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How did he miss?

Haha what a miss.

2 sorry Misses. Unbelievable!

Get in :D Nice start to the weekend.

Beating Liverpool at any age level is always satisfying.

Good stuff. United march on. Solid team display.

• Advertisement
Advertisement