Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo size - too small?

• 01-05-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hiya folks,

I hope it’s ok to post this here. I’m pretty set on my next (and first text) tattoo. It’s a pretty simple one and I was hoping to keep it fairly small and discreet but I’m worried about it being too small and bleeding into itself later on.

This is the quote and font: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img834/5561/0hvb.jpg

Realistically, will I need to make it bigger to avoid it becoming a mess a few years down the line? If anyone has any opinions or advice, I’d really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

How small are you looking to make it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The size of that image is going to be different for everyone depending on screen size and resolution. If it's the size it came up on my screen, 4cm x 1cm, then yes, it's too small, and the lines that are close together would be at a high risk of bleeding into each other. If you go along to any good tattoo artist, they'll be better positioned to tell you what size they'd need to make it to have it work as you want it.
    I'd say at least twice the measurements I mentioned above, but I'm no artist!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Oops, sorry should have said that I was hoping to get it done on one line on my inner wrist, so yes it would have to be around the measurements you mentioned. Any bigger and I'll have to change the location because it won't fit.

Oh, I'll be following any advice my tattoo artist gives, I just wanted to get an idea before I went in. Plus I've seen some brilliant text tattoos some of my friends had done by very talented artists and they still bled after a few years so I guess I'm just being overly cautious by asking here and googling it.

Think I need to go and have another think about where else I can to put it so it can be bigger but still discreet enough to hide for work.

Thank you guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

how did you think "discreet" and arrive at "wrist"?

how did you think "discreet" and arrive at "wrist"?

I would only need to cover it for where I work presently and that could easily be done with a few bracelets. My boss doesn't care if we have tattoos so long as they are not visible to customers. It's a lot harder to cover somewhere else on the forearm or even the upper arm without wearing long sleeves every day of the year.

Added to that, I would simply personally prefer a small tattoo, not huge decorative writing taking up a lot of space

Short of getting in on my foot (which I don't really want), on my ribs (personally think something so small would look silly there) or my shoulder (which is already tattoed) I thought wrist was the better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Naydy wrote: »
    I would only need to cover it for where I work presently and that could easily be done with a few bracelets. My boss doesn't care if we have tattoos so long as they are not visible to customers. It's a lot harder to cover somewhere else on the forearm or even the upper arm without wearing long sleeves every day of the year.

Added to that, I would simply personally prefer a small tattoo, not huge decorative writing taking up a lot of space

Short of getting in on my foot (which I don't really want), on my ribs (personally think something so small would look silly there) or my shoulder (which is already tattoed) I thought wrist was the better option.

the wrist is one of the single least discreet spots on the body, and one of the worst spots for going really small. the sun exposure and constant movement mean things are more likely to fade and spread. and who knows if you feel like wearing a few bracelets forever. by all means get it where you want it, but discreet it is not.

the wrist is one of the single least discreet spots on the body, and one of the worst spots for going really small. the sun exposure and constant movement mean things are more likely to fade and spread. and who knows if you feel like wearing a few bracelets forever. by all means get it where you want it, but discreet it is not.

Fine, not discreet, "easily hidden when the need arises" would probably have been a better way to put it. I'm not concerned about needing to hide it forever as the job I'm in now is just temporary, in the career I'm studying for, tattoos are very, very common and acceptable.

But I wanted to know if getting text so small was a bad idea and it seems it is, so I'll be rethinking what I'm going to do. I'm not going to knowingly go for a bad size/font/location so thank you for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Op, just to let you know, I have wrist tattoos and there's nothing discreet or easy to hide about them. Most of the time they're the first tattoo of mine people see. I love mine, but got them thinking 'oh, i'll just throw a watch or bracelet on and no one will know' but it's rarely the case. Not trying to put you off, just letting you know!

Op, just to let you know, I have wrist tattoos and there's nothing discreet or easy to hide about them. Most of the time they're the first tattoo of mine people see. I love mine, but got them thinking 'oh, i'll just throw a watch or bracelet on and no one will know' but it's rarely the case. Not trying to put you off, just letting you know!

Thanks, it is good to hear opinions from people who have them. I was going by a work colleague who has one and hides hers very well but it seems that's not the case for lots of people.

I've been doing more research on how big text tattoos should be, and it surprised me how large its recommended to have it, so I definitely won't risk it on my wrist, just have to decide on somewhere else now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm the opposite of everyone on here in that I have a tattoo on my wrist (3mmx3mm) and people don't seem to notice it that often. I do wear a watch and bracelet on that wrist but I wouldn't say that they cover it but yet people that I have known for ages are still only noticing it now. Now it's obviously not invisible but I'd actually consider mine to be surprisingly discreet enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm the opposite of everyone on here in that I have a tattoo on my wrist (3mmx3mm) and people don't seem to notice it that often. I do wear a watch and bracelet on that wrist but I wouldn't say that they cover it but yet people that I have known for ages are still only noticing it now. Now it's obviously not invisible but I'd actually consider mine to be surprisingly discreet enough.

You sure with those measurements? :P

On a more serious note yes a wrist tattoo can be discreet, depending on what your definition of discreet is. A quick rule of thumb I find that if you can cover it with a shirt sleeve then it is discreet. Your idea strikes me as being too small to work though (mainly because the font is so intricate).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

P_1 wrote: »
    You sure with those measurements? :P

Oops! CM!

Advertisement