Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most efficient forward from play in hurling

• 02-05-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Has there been any research done to find the most efficient scorer in hurling?
    Most scores from play per minutes played I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No, but if you're willing to put the work in, I'd appreciate it :p

In recent years, I'd imagine it's John Mullane tbqh. An absolutely sublime hurler.

Although effiency from play, and most points scored don't necessarily equate to the same thing. A forward who can win ball and create space for others might be seen as more efficient than someone who regularly picks up 2 or 3 points from play. Both are good assets...... but then you could look at things like what team they play in, and what particular style they play, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd warrant its a hurler playing in Division 2 or 3 of the league.

some of those lesser counties have an outstanding forward to carry the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

http://www.hurlingstats.com/blog/

That was a great website. Unfortunately they don't seem to be updating it anymore. But in recent years John Mullane and Lar Corbett were the outstanding two in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pat Horgan was amazing in terms of scores per possession last year IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

John Mullane for me, interesting to see the stats though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

It’s one of the annoying things about the GAA. It can be very difficult to find out stats like this or even who played in certain matches. There was an article in one of the papers (Indo?) when Shefflin took the top spot for scores from play detailing the top 10 or so and also some modern greats. I can’t find it but remember some of it. Bear in mind that to appear you would need to have played a lot of matches to get a high total figure before it then gave the points per match, so it’s hardly a complete list.

Most efficient of all time was Nicky Rackard. By a mile. I can’t find the from play scores but his total of 59-96 from 36 games looks about right so I’d say he didn’t take frees. A ridiculous goal scoring record which sees him top the pile. One of his team mates came in second, again with a bucket load of goals. I can’t for the life of me remember his name but I’m sure a Wexican could help us out here. I’d also be interested if anybody could give some insight into why these two on the same team scored so many goals. It can’t be as simple as that being the way the game was played back then as the likes of Christy Ring don’t come close to matching their goal rate.

As most have guessed John Mullane is the most efficient scorer of the modern era, at 3.6 points a match. As I said on upthedeise back in the day, he’s a bit of a one trick pony but it’s one hell of a trick. The man was a scoring machine. If he had stayed playing there’s a good chance he would have overtaken Shefflin in the overall scores from play chart although this would obviously have dented his average rate.

Lar Corbett and Dan Shanahan both went through a spell where their scoring rates were incredible. Over their whole career though they would still come in below Mullane.

One major surprise to me was that DJ Carey was comfortably the lowest of the people mentioned in the article. Obviously there were other aspects to his game and all that but I would still have expected him to have one of the highest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Morte wrote: »
    One major surprise to me was that DJ Carey was comfortably the lowest of the people mentioned in the article. Obviously there were other aspects to his game and all that but I would still have expected him to have one of the highest rates.

I think that just shows you can prove anything with statistics. John Mullane was a brilliant player but I doubt if too many people would argue that he was better than DJ Carey.

Mullane very often seemed content to just take his point, even in games where Waterford were behind and needed goals. DJ was the opposite and this is the reason why he is the most exciting hurler I've ever seen.

When DJ was in his prime and playing at No 12, he absolutely terrified every other team. If he gathered the ball within 50 yards of goal and had any space at all, the only thing on his mind was goals. He had no interest in just knocking it over the bar. He just ran straight for goal and both scored and created umpteen goals by doing so. His personal scoring rate from play might have been greater if he'd just taken the point but Kilkenny would have been a lesser team.

Eddie Brennan, while not quite possessing the same skills as DJ, had a similar attitude. I particularly remember the Cork team of a few years ago often struggling to score goals. They had great speedsters like the O'Connor twins but they always seemed content to take their points when a more single minded attitude towards goals might well have paid dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 liamv90

shane o donnell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Morte wrote: »
    It’s one of the annoying things about the GAA. It can be very difficult to find out stats like this or even who played in certain matches. There was an article in one of the papers (Indo?) when Shefflin took the top spot for scores from play detailing the top 10 or so and also some modern greats. I can’t find it but remember some of it. Bear in mind that to appear you would need to have played a lot of matches to get a high total figure before it then gave the points per match, so it’s hardly a complete list.

Most efficient of all time was Nicky Rackard. By a mile. I can’t find the from play scores but his total of 59-96 from 36 games looks about right so I’d say he didn’t take frees. A ridiculous goal scoring record which sees him top the pile. One of his team mates came in second, again with a bucket load of goals. I can’t for the life of me remember his name but I’m sure a Wexican could help us out here. I’d also be interested if anybody could give some insight into why these two on the same team scored so many goals. It can’t be as simple as that being the way the game was played back then as the likes of Christy Ring don’t come close to matching their goal rate.

As most have guessed John Mullane is the most efficient scorer of the modern era, at 3.6 points a match. As I said on upthedeise back in the day, he’s a bit of a one trick pony but it’s one hell of a trick. The man was a scoring machine. If he had stayed playing there’s a good chance he would have overtaken Shefflin in the overall scores from play chart although this would obviously have dented his average rate.

Lar Corbett and Dan Shanahan both went through a spell where their scoring rates were incredible. Over their whole career though they would still come in below Mullane.

hardly tim flood you're thinking of no?

Advertisement