Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical examination

Options
  • 02-05-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

I have to do a medical examination and then send the results to the US embassy. Anyone who has done this can you please explain to me how you sent them off? They say something about a courier but I can't find details on the link they referred me to.

ETA: ok so link is http://usvisa-info.com and I've registered an account but still not seeing how I can select how to send in documents through the DPD Courier Send service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I have to do a medical examination and then send the results to the US embassy. Anyone who has done this can you please explain to me how you sent them off? They say something about a courier but I can't find details on the link they referred me to.

ETA: ok so link is http://usvisa-info.com and I've registered an account but still not seeing how I can select how to send in documents through the DPD Courier Send service.

My guess is that is not an official website looks a bit dodgy and does not have a .gov address, I wouldn't give them any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

spideog7 wrote: »
    My guess is that is not an official website looks a bit dodgy and does not have a .gov address, I wouldn't give them any info.

Agreed. Google the US embassy in Ireland, and follow their instructions. Not sure what class of visa you need a medical exam for, but they should be able to give you direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

spideog7 wrote: »

Me neither. Wouldn't touch that site with a 10 ft barge pole, especially if they want any of my personal details, or even more importantly, my moolah.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ETA: ok so link is http://usvisa-info.com
    http://who.is/whois/usvisa-info.com
    Registrant Name: Whois Agent
    Registrant Organization: Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
    Registrant Street: PO Box 639
    Registrant City: Kirkland
    Registrant State/Province: WA
    Looks dodgy.

/edit
    I stand corrected. Seems it's legit, but holy christ it's a weird url!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

To clarify, the website was on the letter that the US Embassy themselves handed to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

To clarify, the website was on the letter that the US Embassy themselves handed to me.

It also appears to be listed on several US embassy websites, I stand corrected. I've never used it OP so can't help with your original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It's a few years since I did my medical exam but back then they gave you your results in a sealed envelope that you brought with you (still sealed) to the embassy for your interview.

Just reading the info on the embassy site (http://dublin.usembassy.gov/medical_exam.html), it seems as though the process is the same. It was Dr. Gleeson when I did mine in 2009

Hi yea, yeah it'll be with Dr. Gleeson. My circumstances are somehwhat different, I've already had my interview for a J1 visa and have had my visa temporarily denied due to having to admit I've been arrested for being drunk and disorderly before. I've been told I have to do a medical as a result.

It says alternatively I could send it in by registered or express post but I don't want to do this if the courier is free and potentially faster. How long does express post take does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... and have had my visa temporarily denied due to having to admit I've been arrested for being drunk and disorderly before. I've been told I have to do a medical as a result.

If the medical was mandated as a result of the D & D conviction then I suspect that they will pay special attention to the Gamma GT (an enzyme in the liver) reading which indicates whether you are a heavy drinker or not. If the GGT number is elevated (needs to be in the range 8-60), you'd need to hit the wagon for about 6 weeks to get it down to regular levels.

In some countries you can only get your driving licence back after a drunk driving conviction if the GGT number is within normal levels.

coylemj wrote: »
    If the medical was mandated as a result of the D & D conviction then I suspect that they will pay special attention to the Gamma GT (an enzyme in the liver) reading which indicates whether you are a heavy drinker or not. If the GGT number is elevated (needs to be in the range 8-60), you'd need to hit the wagon for about 6 weeks to get it down to regular levels.

In some countries you can only get your driving licence back after a drunk driving conviction if the GGT number is within normal levels.

I presume that this is revealed in blood tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I presume that this is revealed in blood tests?

Yes, provided the doctor asks for liver function tests when submitting the samples.

Thanks

I got my passport back as I need it to present for medical examination, does this get enclosed in my medical report when I send them to the embassy? There's no mention of it and I presume they still need my passport if I'm to proceed with the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 qualitycontrol

Hi yea, yeah it'll be with Dr. Gleeson. My circumstances are somehwhat different, I've already had my interview for a J1 visa and have had my visa temporarily denied due to having to admit I've been arrested for being drunk and disorderly before. I've been told I have to do a medical as a result.

It says alternatively I could send it in by registered or express post but I don't want to do this if the courier is free and potentially faster. How long does express post take does anyone know?

I sent you a PM with a few questions about the medical examination as I've to take one soon under similar circumstances and I'm wondering what to expect.

Let me know if you have the time to answer them as it would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I did this exam myself last November for my Embassy interview for my greencard. I did not have to send the results via courier I had to go collect the results which were in a sealed envelope and take that sealed envelope to the embassy on the day of my interview and hand it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

the_syco wrote: »
    http://who.is/whois/usvisa-info.com

Looks dodgy.

/edit
    I stand corrected. Seems it's legit, but holy christ it's a weird url!

Kirkland, Wa is a suburb of Seattle. Nice place. Very techy as its right next door to Microsoft HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Kirkland, Wa is a suburb of Seattle. Nice place. Very techy as its right next door to Microsoft HQ.

Id expect them to use a .gov address to be honest not a .info. It still may not be legit as that is the address of the company the domain was bought though not the address of the person or company who owns it. Hence the techy address.

Advertisement