Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panting and restless dog

• 02-05-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi, my lurcher woke me up last night beside me panting. I ended up getting out of bed and taking her and the other little one out for a widdle but she was still pretty restless afterwards so it wasn't the need of widdles.

She's panting at the moment and has just been out for widdles, standin staring at the door.
    I have a hinge and use a door stop and the door closed itself. So have wedged it open again but shes just staring at the door. Its almost like she can see a ghost ( I don't believe this stuff but its for descriptive purposes)

So shes now stood panting and staring at the door which shut itself earlier.

When I google it, its all alarm bells and worry. But should I be worried? Its not like her, she will normally pant like that after a run but you know what lurchers are like, sleep sleep sleep. She's keeping me up as well as they sleep in the room with me and the panting is keeping me awake.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Panting if not after exercise or high temps (environmentally wise) can be a sign of stress. That stress could be anything Mince Pie.

Lurchers are pretty stoic dogs so I won't beat around the bush. If she continues this into tomorrow I'd personally be making a vet appointment....and I very rarely recommend the vet straight off on here.

How old is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

anniehoo wrote: »
    Panting if not after exercise or high temps (environmentally wise) can be a sign of stress. That stress could be anything Mince Pie.

Lurchers are pretty stoic dogs so I won't beat around the bush. If she continues this into tomorrow I'd personally be making a vet appointment....and I very rarely recommend the vet straight off on here.

How old is she?

Thanks Anniehoo for getting back to me so quickly as I know its a quiet time of night.
    She is 6 and generally quite chilled (although she is quite a boisterous lurcher unlike the usual timid norm when out)
    We have security going around the block recently on an hourly basis but thats been for a few weeks now.

At first it was just annoying (just started last night) but now I'm a it concerned as it totally woke me up last night as she was right beside me on the bed. When I told them to get off they would't, it was like they were freaked and wanted to be close to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Abnormal behaviour (which this is) that lasts longer than 48hrs is a vet visit for me Mince Pie.

Panting is a normal physiological response for dogs...in conditions that you would expect them to do so as mentioned. The fact she's doing this outside of this is the reason to be concerned.

Is she drinking excessively/off her food/urinating too much or too little/tender to touch anywhere/agitated/has anything changed environmentally/has she eaten anything different?

We all know our pets and they all have off days that you wouldn't be concerned about....but 48hrs "off form" is my limit. ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    Abnormal behaviour (which this is) that lasts longer than 48hrs is a vet visit for me Mince Pie.

Panting is a normal physiological response for dogs...in conditions that you would expect them to do so as mentioned. The fact she's doing this outside of this is the reason to be concerned.

Is she drinking excessively/off her food/urinating too much or too little/tender to touch anywhere/agitated/has anything changed environmentally/has she eaten anything different?

We all know our pets and they all have off days that you wouldn't be concerned about....but 48hrs "off form" is my limit. ;)

No no change in anything other than skittish behaviour. As I said it really is like theres a ghost I can't see cos she keeps staring at the door and going over and looking at it. Its just weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is she neutered?

Would there be a chance something was hanging around outside that door that wouldn't normally? Cat, fox, another dog, a person?

• Advertisement

she settled down in the end and wasn't woken up. There's a fairly good chance there is the scent of foxes as there is a den in the field next to me.
    There's also security doing hourly rounds. Spoke to the neighbours and there is one particular guy who rattles their dogs as well and the kids don't like him either so it might be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Panting excessively can be a sign of pain mincepie, as can restlessness. Its possible shes hurt herself (even if she doesnt appear injured) or she could have abdominal pain, back pain etc. - any type of pain really. Personally if it were my dog Id have her checked at the vet just to be sure.

I'll see how she is today and this evening and if she's still panting I'll definitely take her to the vets.
    I don't think its pain though purely because of how focused she was on the door and also the other little one was barking lots the previous night.

They sleep in with me and were pretty settled last night but will be keeping a close eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Just to say that mine have been in a heap the past few nights. They sleep with me too and I've had to put the fan on and give them extra water throughout the night. Even the smallest fittest one. I've been the same myself and struggling to sleep and I put it down to the very humid weather the past few days. I have fibromyalgia and it's the worse I've ever been.

Oh and forgot to mention, I had some steak that I hadn't gotten round to eating so was cutting up pieces and taking that out with me rather than putting their leads on for widdles.
    That may have had something to do with it as it was on the counter. Panting stopped when we all went to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

this may sound crazy but i told my family breeder that my jrt bassett cross has been hyper all week, and i mean hyper. racing round, barking at nothing, hysterical. never seen her like this.

opinion is that the moon is going through strange phases; their critters are acting up too.

they are more sensitive to these things than we are.

Just to say that mine have been in a heap the past few nights. They sleep with me too and I've had to put the fan on and give them extra water throughout the night. Even the smallest fittest one. I've been the same myself and struggling to sleep and I put it down to the very humid weather the past fewe. days. I have fibromyalgia and it's the worse I've ever been.

thank you; i was getting into despair as my m.e is terrible. was putting it down to far too much activity re hospitals last week.

tis the moon...

I concur, no panty today. Must be a phase.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I concur, no panty today. Must be a phase.

yes my wee rascal is calmer too thankfully. she has the bounce of the jrt and the build and weight of the bassett. a real handful at times. she often will not let me past the stairgate.

Advertisement