Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish in ALDI grow bags

• 02-05-2014 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've been using ALDI Organic compost bags the last few weeks and found them ok, looks and smells a bit off but probably does the job because my herbs from a few weeks back are thriving.

I was given a bag of last years ALDI growbag that was in a shed (fine condition) and i decided to open it and use it for propagating tomato seeds in a few trays. When i sifted through it i got dozens of bits of plastic like sweet bags and nozzles and lots of random bits of rubbish. Some of the plastic was sharp and nearly cut my fingers, I'm sure its Bakelite type plastic.

I always knew ALDI and LIDL were cheap crap merchants but this is taking the piss. They must be buying from companies that use old landfill sites to make compost.

Be careful what you buy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You should bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Give it back to whoever gave it ti you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Doubt it is from landfill. It is likely recycled from commercial organic bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Doubt it is from landfill. It is likely recycled from commercial organic bins.

This. Thus you get whatever someone else has thrown away. A good reason never to throw plastic or other non-organic rubbish in the plant recycling bin. The cheap composts are always made from this.
    B&Q compost and growbags are usually good though, the Irish peat board supply them and they're pretty cheap - 5 for the price of 4, I think they're around €2 each.

Advertisement