Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 223 vs savage - Which one and which twist rate

Options
  • 02-05-2014 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am going to buy a 223 and was wondering what twist rate would be best suited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chucks17hmr

Which would be a more accrate rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭p.e.s.

I am going to buy a 223 and was wondering what twist rate would be best suited?

It all depends what you want it for. Light bullets need say 1 in 12 or 14 but heavy bullets say anything over 60 gr need faster rates of twist ie 1 in 8. Longer heavier bullets will have a higher bc and suit the longer ranges while the lighter bullets have higher velocities and are more suited to vermin hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

100yds 12 or 14 and lighter flat base, 300yds 1/8 if windy and heavier boat tail.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I can get 0.5" group on a good day with my Tikka T3 1:8, but the T3 Lite 1:12 is a one raggedy hole rig.

For hunting, this accuracy difference is splitting hairs. For target, it's important.

1:8, 1:9, 1:10 will stabilise heavier bullets, which will perform marginally better at long ranges.

1:12 will stabilise 55gr 223 ammo and lighter.

Personally, I don't need more than MOA accuracy (and I can't achieve 0.5" groups from improvised field positions) so I mostly have my 1:8 to increase the choice of ammo available to me.

You have to consider your own, particular requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chucks17hmr

Hello,
    I am considering buying a new savage axis 223 (1 in 12 twist), was hoping someone has experience with this rifle, any comment would be much appreciated...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

1:12 gets you the lighter range of bullets generally from 55 on down for smaller game and varmints. Don't use 68s or 69s in the 1:12 or you will get flyers and probably "keyholes". Savage makes an accurate rifle and here is a pretty decent review of the rifle in .223 and overall commentary:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_edge_detail.htm

Advertisement