Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESPN 30 for 30 : Soccer Stories ...

• 02-05-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

ESPN are currently airing their latest 30 for 30 documentary series - this time focusing on soccer.

I know the Hillsborough one has already been mentioned but I thought the series deserved it's own thread.

The series will consist of :

• Hillsborough
    • The Opposition
    • Maradonna '86
    • Ceasefire Massacre
    • The Myth Of Garrincha
    • Mysteries of the Rimet Trophy
    • Barbosa: The Man Who Made Brazil Cry
    • White, Blue and White
    http://espn.go.com/30for30/soccer

Watched Ceasefire Massacre last night. 23mins long, expected more to be honest. Felt it wasn't up to the usual standard of previous 30 for 30's I've watched. Didn't really learn anything new from it, but perhaps it's more for the US / International market.

Have The Myth Of Garrincha and Maradonn '86 lined up for viewing next ...

Anybody watch any of them so far .... thoughts, recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

They're non-soccer documentaries are pretty spectacular too, they're on US netflix, definitely worth a watch.

Cheers for the info OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

tigger123 wrote: »
    They're non-soccer documentaries are pretty spectacular too, they're on US netflix, definitely worth a watch.

Cheers for the info OP!

Yeah I've watched a fair few of the other 30 for 30's and have rarely been disappointed. Excellent documentaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The Hillsborough one was excellent (Note: Its 1 hour 45 mins) but I agree with Loughinisland. I expected more from it, covered too much too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Be interested to see the Garrincha one. By all accounts he had a fairly remarkable life.

I remember reading a book 10 years ago and it had the line in it "If you ask football supporters anywhere in the world who the best player of all time was in all but 2 countries they will answer 'Pele'. In Argentina they will answer 'Maradona' and in Brazil they will answer 'Garrincha' "

Now obviously the above is hardly accurate in many ways but it was meant to illustrate how highly he is thought of in Brazil. I saw his bust right outside the Maracana when I was over there. Apparently part of what made him such a great dribbler was that his legs are slightly bowed from having childhood rickets and it made it more difficult to guess where he was going to go. Legend has it that he also had a 13" penis and was a great womaniser and alcoholic. Apparently he died a pauper having drank himself to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Great series but was bit dissapointed with ceasefire massacre. Some of the documentaries from the original series are really excellent. My favourites were Catching Hell and The Best that Never Was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,013 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Two Escobars is another great 30 for 30 it's an old one but well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Where did you watch it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Be interested to see the Garrincha one. By all accounts he had a fairly remarkable life.

I remember reading a book 10 years ago and it had the line in it "If you ask football supporters anywhere in the world who the best player of all time was in all but 2 countries they will answer 'Pele'. In Argentina they will answer 'Maradona' and in Brazil they will answer 'Garrincha' "

Now obviously the above is hardly accurate in many ways but it was meant to illustrate how highly he is thought of in Brazil. I saw his bust right outside the Maracana when I was over there. Apparently part of what made him such a great dribbler was that his legs are slightly bowed from having childhood rickets and it made it more difficult to guess where he was going to go. Legend has it that he also had a 13" penis and was a great womaniser and alcoholic. Apparently he died a pauper having drank himself to death.
    he lost his virginity to a goat :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,013 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

clsmooth wrote: »
    Where did you watch it??

Alot of the 30 for 30's are up on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

he also had a 13" penis ....

No wonder he was bow legged ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just out of no stone unturned the follow up this, truly remarkable film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ariana Numerous Tribe