Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim race pace

Options
  • 02-05-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

How hard do people tend to go in the swim section of the tri.
    Did the aquathon in the NAC in April, did a good swim for me but think I may have gone too hard.
    Had very little left for the run and was pretty much going backwards after this.

So the queston is do people go all out, 80%, 70% etc for the swim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

as hard as i can for the first 150m or so to catch feet and avoid the melee and then just working hard until the exit, i dont back off as such just that the start pace is not sustainable. if i get to follow feet then perhaps i might ease off in the draft a bit but generally even on someones feet i am still hard at it to stick with them. certainly not in your 80-70% range much higher than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

For me........for a sprint, as hard as I can sustain (90%); for olympic and HIM slightly lower effort but not much (80-90%). IM a bit slower (75%). You can practice the pacing in training to get a feel for level of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Only have done sprints so its as hard a pace I can maintain. When I go longer i'll drop pace accordingly
    I need to go as high a pace as possible as bike is so crap.
    Key is going as comfortably as you can while as quick as you can go IMO..

Advertisement