Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather Jacket infestation...

• 02-05-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

As the title says I have an infestation of leather jackets in my lawn.

Has anyone any advice on what I can do to prevent them next season??

I have sprayed Clinch XL and have removed 1,000's of the little grubs by watering to encourage them to the surface for the birds to feed on/and raking them off.

If I re-sow the lawn will they destroy any new seed???? I had used lawn seed orginally but would use it again!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

I feel your pain. I have a relatively big garden and to be honest I've given up on getting rid of them but i will say this, it's most satisfying watching the birds gobble them up after bringing the little buggers to the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

This is what the little fe*&Ers have done to my lawn...

The lawn is raked and sprayed with clinch also it seems to be killing them. (Along with the birds eating them!)

I would be grateful for any advice on how to repair the lawn and prevent them coming back????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Nobbies wrote: »
    This is what the little fe*&Ers have done to my lawn...

The lawn is raked and sprayed with clinch also it seems to be killing them. (Along with the birds eating them!)

I would be grateful for any advice on how to repair the lawn and prevent them coming back????

Are you serious about the birds dying from secondary poisoning?

redser7 wrote: »
    Are you serious about the birds dying from secondary poisoning?

God no... :eek: I meant the birds are enjoying eating the little grubs that have ruined my lawn!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Glad to hear it. Read that the other way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

They seem to be in cycles . I am on my third spray. They seem to dye off and about 10 days later a new infestation starts. I think the best way is to keep with they cycles until they stop or slow down significantly.
    Incidently . the poster with the picture. It looks like you have some grass there that will recover. You might need to spray a weed killer to give the grass a chance later on. Keep it fertilized.

I have an acre of lawn and had to Invest on a sprayer for my compact trActor. I just could not keep up when I was spraying with a knapsack.

They seem to be rampant after last years warm summer and very mild winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi . How much is your clinch xl . And what wre your dilutions . I am using trigger and it is 1/100. I pay 25 euro for a litre. So in a knapsack it would be 20 ml approx.

Hi . How much is your clinch xl . And what wre your dilutions . I am using trigger and it is 1/100. I pay 25 euro for a litre. So in a knapsack it would be 20 ml approx.

Same dilutions as you say... I paid €44.29 for my litre of Clinch... €14 of that was courier delivery!!!! (That was from National Agrochemical in Lusk) 25euro sounds better can I ask where you got it from???

Advertisement