Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravans Stolen from Strandhill

Options
  • 02-05-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

You never know who might have their eyes to the ground or ears to the road or whatever. Anyway unfortunatlely these may be long gone from the county but if the scummers start this racket and get away with it, Sligo will be retargeted.
    Please see below picture of one of the Caravans stolen from the Caravan Park in Strandhill on Wednesday 30/4/14 at approx. 3:15am.

It’s a 2014 Hobby Prestige 720 with a grey stripe, it’s over 7 metres in length.

The second caravan is similar only 5 metres in length with a blue stripe.

Both caravan can be seen on CCTV leaving after each other & apparently went in the Ballisodare direction.

Anyone who may have information can contact the Gardai in Sligo.

Caravan_zpsd7a5b3b1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Quite possible they could be traversing the continent. Jumping the gun you think? A friend of mine who's a serious fishing fanatic, had a new and pretty expensive outboard engine stolen from one his boat sheds. It may have been on Lough Gill, but I'm not sure. Anyway, three weeks later he recovers the engine - from a boat yard Poland. Apparently he had some high tech tracker concealed in the engine and was able to follow its progress through Europe and eventually recover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Slightly off topic, but you've got to admire their balls here. two quite large caravans, and just drove them away and so far has got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

There's nothing remotely admirable about thieving scumbags imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Slightly off topic, but you've got to admire their balls here. two quite large caravans, and just drove them away and so far has got away with it.

What would the feeling be if the caravans belonged to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

You would want top have a neck like a jockeys bollix to pull off what these scum bags did, I heard about this on the news, it beggars belief how they got as far as Charlestown without Gardaí noticing them, I hope they owners get thm back soon, however I don't hold out much hope to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i was walking the dog through there on saturday, noticed wheel clamps on most caravans and thought it was a bit OTT, who would rob them out of there. Shows what I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

As a matter of interest, were the two caravans locked or clamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Quite possible they could be traversing the continent. Jumping the gun you think? A friend of mine who's a serious fishing fanatic, had a new and pretty expensive outboard engine stolen from one his boat sheds. It may have been on Lough Gill, but I'm not sure. Anyway, three weeks later he recovers the engine - from a boat yard Poland. Apparently he had some high tech tracker concealed in the engine and was able to follow its progress through Europe and eventually recover it.

That's what I was thinking, why pay 40 grand for a new caravan and not pay an extra 200 or so for a GPS Tracker?

Plazaman wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, why pay 40 grand for a new caravan and not pay an extra 200 or so for a GPS Tracker?

Is it known that they didn't?

Kettleson wrote: »
    Is it known that they didn't?

Couldn't say for certain. Only summising seeing as we haven't heard that they were recovered which should be easy enough to do if they were trackable (unless whisked out of the country at high speed).

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    Couldn't say for certain. Only summising seeing as we haven't heard that they were recovered which should be easy enough to do if they were trackable (unless whisked out of the country at high speed).

Indeed, I see what you mean. I wonder how long the process takes to track and retrieve and whether or not the thieves have found some way of finding the trackers and removing them? I wouldn't put that beyond their ability.

(The dog thieves thought nothing in roughly removing micro chips from dogs they had stolen). I would have thought the theft of the caravans was well planned, possibly quickly re-sprayed, and possibly not too far away.

Edit: a quick google shows that a Radio Frequency scanner can be used to find the GPS tracker on any vehicle if you have the time and intention to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My parents' caravan was stolen from the sea area in Easkey last night.

It's a Swift Conqueror 580 LUX. It has a white, Irish number plate but with a funny NI number, iirc - only has a couple of numbers and letters.

A long shot, but if anyone spots it, could you let me know? Thanks.

This isn't it, but it's pretty much exactly like this:

5gRWPC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Jesus El Weirdo, sorry to hear that! I'm sure your parents worked hard to buy that unlike these thieving scummers who think it's their right to take somebody else's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

The EU brought in regulations restricting use of 2 stroke engines, which meant fishermen had to buy 4 stroke engines. These are much heavier and hard if not impossible for one person to lift. Hence many boats left lying around with engines sitting by the side of the lake. I've heard reliable reports that shipping containers are leaving the country for eastern europe within second hand engines. Worse still, sometimes they simple cut it off the boat leaving the boat damaged.

Shame to see people's caravans going missing. It takes a certain type of brass neck to steal a caravan in plain sight

El Weirdo wrote: »
    My parents' caravan was stolen from the sea area in Easkey last night.

It's a Swift Conqueror 580 LUX. It has a white, Irish number plate but with a funny NI number, iirc - only has a couple of numbers and letters.

A long shot, but if anyone spots it, could you let me know? Thanks....

Sorry to hear that EW, I can't wish enough bad luck on these fúckers. May an appendage drop off.

As a matter of interest, since I brought it up, I was googling one of these puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

But You still needs credits http://www.trackershop.ie/top-up-credits
    I know that if You can afford expensive car/caravan/boat/etc. You should be able to pay for this device and credits when needed:)

Advertisement