Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt. Leinster/Blackstairs walk

Options
  • 02-05-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently scratching my head trying to plan a decent length hike in the Blackstairs / Mt. Leinster area, probably 18km or so.

A circular walk of any length seems quite difficult, and even a linear walk with a car split appears difficult due to the lack of any parking for more than 1 or 2 cars at a time.

Any ideas anyone (I'm thinking BarryD here :)) I do have the EW Mapping map of the area BTW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well seeing as you ask so nicely Alun :), you could park at the Burren Rock in Ballycrystal, walk back down the road to forest entrance on left and use the track and old bog road to gain Black Rock, Moanyer etc. Then on up to Moats of Crann and onto Mount Leinster, descend via Stoolyen, onto Knockroe (maybe detour to the Giant's Table). About where it says Dray Road, below the Holy Year cross, there's a gate and an unofficial agreed route down to the road. Then follow the road across the Scollagh Gap and enter the forest where Cornadoya is. There's a route through this which you can figure out from the map which will take up to Clorogue More. Thence to Clorogue Beg and continue north to where paths lead into the wood where it says Fords. This is a walkers path that will lead back towards car. About 18km and a good days tramp I'd say!!

You could of course, skip out the Scollagh Gap road part and just head directly from Knockroe to Clorogue More - about 17 km. In practice this is what most people would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I knew you'd come up with the goods .. local knowledge is always valuable in these things! I'll take a look at the map later and plot that out, thanks!

EDIT: Had a look and that looks good! I had an old route we did ages ago that covered a lot of similar terrain, except we took a few slightly 'dodgy' routes here and there that if we'd had your map back then would have been a lot easier!

I thought of including Knockroe to extend it slightly, but couldn't see an obvious and legal way down, so thanks for that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

No problem Alun, but if you something different, approach from the west, Tomduff or Crannagh, off the beaten track - shorter though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

We have had a race at Mount Leinster various times over the years. Recent details here: https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/835/
    An obliging local gave us access to a field behind his house for parking adjacent to the trail head, for something like 2 quid a car.

Advertisement