Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wait, Platinum are working on the new Crackdown? Well that's something to get excited about, although Anarchy Reigns showed there's a lot of work to be done in terms of transferring their OTT gameplay style to a multiplayer sphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Tell gamers to stop shelling out billions each year for CoD. They are just going where the money is sadly :(

that is what frightens me for every deadly premonition and dark souls that makes me just love gaming I see another cod , battlefield , homefront and every other shooter , not that I hate shooters but its just so annoying that the dollar means more than creativity. understandable as the publisher needs to make profits but I would love to see cost down and let developers create unique games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It would be funny if Sony announces Shenmue later.

Xenji wrote: »
    It would be funny if Sony announces Shenmue later.

DONT TEASE ME :(

Wait, Platinum are working on the new Crackdown? Well that's something to get excited about, although Anarchy Reigns showed there's a lot of work to be done in terms of transferring their OTT gameplay style to a multiplayer sphere.

I think it was the game shown before Crackdown, Scalebound is its name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xenji wrote: »
    I think it was the game shown before Crackdown, Scalebound is its name.

Kotaku are reporting they're on board with Crackdown too, as well as Scalebound: http://kotaku.com/new-crackdown-goes-multiplayer-in-a-big-way-1588149589

Could just be post conference confusion, but exciting if so - Platinum Games' er... games are potentially system sellers for me. Either way, looking forward to seeing more of Scalebound.

Kotaku are reporting they're on board with Crackdown too, as well as Scalebound: http://kotaku.com/new-crackdown-goes-multiplayer-in-a-big-way-1588149589

Could just be post conference confusion, but exciting if so - Platinum Games' er... games are potentially system sellers for me.

They have yet to put out a bad game in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sony. Valve. Sony. Valve.

PSN EXCLUSIVE HATS

god damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

then the show should be cut down to the extent on what you have to show.

If they did that we would get 40+ minutes of the Xbox team going on about kinetic rubbish or how amazing it's TV features are :(

Witcher 3 stole the show for me. Want that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The industry is consuming itself at the moment. There's pretty much two types of big-budget game, the first person shooter and the open world style adventure/shooter. Yeah they look great, but they're essentially the exact same game over and over and over again with one of a small handful of key mechanics becoming the main focus for each title.

The indie scene is better than ever, but with the focus and dollars going on uninspired retreads you have to wonder if we're approaching critical mass like we had in the mid 90s with platformers and fighting games, only this time new hardware hasn't introduced anything new or revolutionary.

I don't see where the game changer that's so desperately needed is coming from and that's a massive concern

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

weren't the snes and the mega drive something like 99.9999% identikit platformers?

NO

SNES was 16 bit

Genesis was 32 bit'

GET YOUR **** TOGETHER MORDIE

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

EA next. How long is it due to last? May skip it since half of it will probably be about how they made the ball rounder in FIFA

weren't the snes and the mega drive something like 99.9999% identikit platformers?

Pretty much, with the other .0001% being fighting games. But those consoles were followed with a pretty major shift in hardware, with the Saturn, PlayStation and N64 offering developers the ability to do something different and never seen before for console players.

Since then it's been a gradual march towards where we are now in terms of the big budget end of the spectrum; incredibly polished games that make relatively minor improvements as part of a 12/24 month release schedule. Outside of indie it's all games by committee, and that's a very bad thing given that there's no new hardware coming to completely change things (unless Morpheus really delivers and developers are willing to try new things, but again that'll likely only be indies trying anything new)

thing is with quarter billion dollar budgets they're afraid to innovate. Innovation can flop.

THE POWER OF THE CLOUD ? MORE LIKE A FOG THATS SPEWING OUT OF YOUR ARSE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    EA next. How long is it due to last? May skip it since half of it will probably be about how they made the ball rounder in FIFA

EA exec: "In this iteration of FIFA, we've added realistic physic and friction algorithms to each individual blade of grass on the pitch, providing the most realistic FIFA ever!!"

Players: "What difference will this make to gameplay?"

EA: "None at all, just hold left on the analogue to go towards their goal and press [ ] to shoot, then begin calling your friend a useless gobs***e when you score a goal...."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tomb Raider and the Temple of Osiris has also been announced as a sequel to Guardian of Light
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/06/09/lara-croft-and-the-temple-of-osiris-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Do Nintendo have an actual conference, or are they just doing it all online?

Kiith wrote: »

They are doing it all online tomorrow.

• Advertisement

IGN: "I look at Evolve and think 'I can't wait to play that with everyone' and I look at games like Division and think 'are my friends ever going to play that'."

Pretty much.

In fact it underpins a big problem: with so many similar games and platforms you're always figuring out with friends which console to get, what title to buy, and you end up with groups splintered between console A and B, Battlefield or Call of Duty, etc. etc.

They ought to really stop that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is the Fifa one on now ? Where can i watch

Overheal wrote: »
    thing is with quarter billion dollar budgets they're afraid to innovate. Innovation can flop.

That's the massive issue. The more money a game makes for a company, the more money they put into their next titles, the more by numbers the game becomes, the more other developers and publishers copy that game, the more money they put into it, and the cycle continues until we're left with one big, brown and grey open world shooter with a billion dollar budget that sells 50 million copies and churns out 4 $15 DLC packs a year and a sequel every 12 months

Kiith wrote: »

Their last conference was 2012, after that they decided (rightly) that there was bugger all point in wasting money on it and instead plough their cash into the actual area on the show floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Are they showing more of the Division tomorrow????

Is the Fifa one on now ? Where can i watch

Just watch last year's, it'll save you waiting 20 minutes and you'll never know the difference

They'll be showing more later during Ubisoft's conference, but the game won't be out until 2016, so it's basically going to be a redux of Watch Dogs where it'll get to a point of mass indifference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ubi will be showing it again or more of it tonight at 23:00 at their show.

COYVB wrote: »
    That's the massive issue. The more money a game makes for a company, the more money they put into their next titles, the more by numbers the game becomes, the more other developers and publishers copy that game, the more money they put into it, and the cycle continues until we're left with one big, brown and grey open world shooter with a billion dollar budget that sells 50 million copies and churns out 4 $15 DLC packs a year and a sequel every 12 months

Yes Fallout 3, exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Tomb Raider and the Temple of Osiris has also been announced as a sequel to Guardian of Light
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/06/09/lara-croft-and-the-temple-of-osiris-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

Could be good (as Guardian was AMAZING) but since its 4 players, I wonder if the mix puzzle solving and shooting of Guardian will be ditched in favour of purely "Pew pew pew take that ancient evil bang bang bang"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement