Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Other than the 30 minutes around halfway through, thought it was a pretty good showing.

Edit: Thought the TLOU trailer was ridiculous. Spoilers galore. Hope people who haven't played it weren't completely spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It is, confirmed by rockstar

Yay. I never spotted PC mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Uncharted 4 deadly.. I must have missed it. Whats the gameplay like?

If I pickup a PS4 it will be to play UC4 and TLOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If there were no CGI trailers, there would be no big E3 conferences from the likes of Sony and MS. Games take 3-4 years on average to make, and most are not in a presentable state until near their release date. It's the nature of the beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Even the gameplay videos from e3 can't be trusted. The important things are the games that are announced, their exclusivity or whether they're multi platform, who's developing them and what their pedigree is.

Anyone expecting to take anything more reliable than that from e3 is codding themselves, and it's every bit as bad on and off the show floor for some games

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

mystic86 wrote: »
    Just cause something shown is CGI doesn't mean that segment should be discounted, MS fans not happy on here

oh im not discounting anything i was just expecting to see something of worth gameplay wise instead of constant mini movies.

im perfectly happy tbh, i got to see lots.of gameplay from XB1 and lots of news on the PS conference for games.that are cross platform especially GTA V, couldn't be happier as an XB1 owner in fact :)

tok9 wrote: »
    Other than the 30 minutes around halfway through, thought it was a pretty good showing.

Edit: Thought the TLOU trailer was ridiculous. Spoilers galore. Hope people who haven't played it weren't completely spoiled.

They're only spoilers if you have context though. I don't think people who'd never played it would've had anything ruined by that trailer due to lack of context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm surprised people care so much about gameplay footage. I'm just happy with new ip's getting announced.

One thing I was hoping for was Fallout 4 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Oat23 wrote: »
    Yay. I never spotted PC mentioned anywhere.

http://www.rockstargames.com/
    PC confirmed on Rockstar's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

COYVB wrote: »
    Even the gameplay videos from e3 can't be trusted. The important things are the games that are announced, their exclusivity or whether they're multi platform, who's developing them and what their pedigree is.

Anyone expecting to take anything more reliable than that from e3 is codding themselves, and it's every bit as bad on and off the show floor for some games

I don't think it should be trusted but its a hell of a lot better indicator than CGI. It is E3 after all.

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm surprised people care so much about gameplay footage. I'm just happy with new ip's getting announced.

seriously? So i could show you an epic CGI movie with dramatic music and then deliver a top down shooter that plays crap and you would see that as a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

miju wrote: »

Bethesda said it won't be at E3 or even talked about at E3 a week ago. I'd love it if they just turned around next year and said here it is, Fallout 4 and it's out next month. Much better than a year of teasing and delays imo.

Bethesda have said on multiple occasions that there was no chance of an announcement. its in development, but they're not going to show it yet. Next years blizzcon at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

nothing baffling about it. How many games did they show gameplay from??

Yes there is.

I was bored off my tits watching the Microsoft announcements, I was giggling like a kid through Sony's!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

They're only spoilers if you have context though. I don't think people who'd never played it would've had anything ruined by that trailer due to lack of context

I completely agree regarding context however there were still some very obvious spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

seriously? So i could show you an epic CGI movie with dramatic music and then deliver a top down shooter that plays crap and you would see that as a good thing?

Don't be intentionally thick. If the CGI gives a solid idea of the gameplay its worthy of a bit of hype. No one would ever be as dense as youre suggesting.

I don't think it should be trusted but its a hell of a lot better indicator than CGI. It is E3 after all.

Neither are a good indicator. Not even hands on time at e3 is reliable. These guys are very good at polishing their demo sections very very well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CGI has no place in showing a game off, it's just false advertising at the end of the day. I don't pay any attention to CGI movies that are show casing games as to me they are showing nothing except how the game could look in 10 years time.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Don't be intentionally thick. If the CGI gives a solid idea of the gameplay its worthy of a bit of hype. No one would ever be as dense as youre suggesting.

im not being thick, CGI cannot in anyway give any indication of gameplay and PLENTY of developers have been even denser that what I suggested ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CGI has no place in showing a game off, it's just false advertising at the end of the day. I don't pay any attention to CGI movies that are show casing games as to me they are showing nothing except how the game could look in 10 years time.

Depends on whether they want to advertise the gameplay or the premise.

Does anyone take them to be anything other than announcement cinematics though? They're not intended to be out forward as gameplay, and there are very clear naming conventions to differentiate what each kind of footage is.

I wouldn't call cgi false advertising, I'd call it pointless as an indicator of anything other than story and tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well that's a pretty closed question to ask.

I trust Naughty dog and Miyazaki when it comes to games so seeing gameplay now wouldn't make much difference. Games like Abzu and No Man's Sky tips what they showed in my gaming direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Just in case it's my post that riled some of you up, let me clarify; CGI is fine, especially for a teaser or reveal.

But after that, further down the development road, have more to show than "just" CGI movies. I don't see what's so wrong about wanting that tbh.

im not being thick, CGI cannot in anyway give any indication of gameplay

Of course it can, it just usually doesn't

Of course it can, it just usually doesn't

give me a clear example of how it can be indicative of gameplay drawing on your journalistic experience of course

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Just in case it's my post that riled some of you up, let me clarify; CGI is fine, especially for a teaser or reveal.

But after that, further down the development road, have more to show than "just" CGI movies. I don't see what's so wrong about wanting that tbh.

Just out of interest, are there particular games you expected to see gameplay footage of but got CGI instead?

give me a clear example of how it can be indicative of gameplay drawing on your journalistic experience of course

The famous Killzone 2 trailer pretty much showed you what the game would be like to play, without it been actual gameplay footage :P

Yeti Beast wrote: »

Gameplay is shown when it's ready, the problem is that games are announced way too early so it feels line forever before we get gameplay videos. Its usually cgi, followed by screens, followed by another cgi, then more screens, then the gameplay reveal.

The problem is when a game is announced a year or more ahead of time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Benzino wrote: »
    Just out of interest, are there particular games you expected to see gameplay footage of but got CGI instead?

No, I'm talking in general and wish all studios and developers would do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement