Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    People really need to give this feature a read as even a primer to this debate. It's far from as simple as some folk are making it out to be.

It sure could be though depending on the specific game engines. Besides don't promise gamers double fps at 720p just give them the 720p option. Same as a computer I get no promise of framerates at specific resolutions but I can least be sure or a marginal increase. 40 frames, 50 frames hell it's still better than 30 right

How about that 1080p 60fps halo 2 though am I right? Not buying a console for it lol but if you have it already, you are excited like a 15 year old boy again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Overheal wrote: »
    It sure could be though depending on the specific game engines. Besides don't promise gamers double fps at 720p just give them the 720p option. Same as a computer I get no promise of framerates at specific resolutions but I can least be sure or a marginal increase. 40 frames, 50 frames hell it's still better than 30 right

How about that 1080p 60fps halo 2 though am I right? Not buying a console for it lol but if you have it already, you are excited like a 15 year old boy again

Engine is one that I was thinking about recently when playing wolfenstein as far as I know they are the first to pull off 1080p 60fps across all platforms, open to correction there , but it got me to thinking if it was the engine in their case that got them there :confused:

I mean that's always going to be a no brainer. Everything about the game design dictates the performance. Developers can now boast "5000 French peasants on screen" because the hardware will tolerate it, without bringing the game down below the console makers certification requirement - namely, 1080p 30ps etc

It's up to a developer what they want to shoot for: fidelity and light bloom and particle effects for 1080p 60 fps or do they want to dial back some settings to achieve smoother framerates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's like setting stat points to an RPG character. You have so many points for so many slots but you can't max out everything as you don't have enough points to do it, which in this case the points is console power. Where do you cut your corners basically, and make do with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's like setting stat points to an RPG character. You have so many points for so many slots but you can't max out everything as you don't have enough points to do it, which in this case the points is console power. Where do you cut your corners basically, and make do with what you have.

And like RPG stat trees, the longer you persist, the more stat points you get to play with

We'll see 1080p at 60fps as the norm within a few years on both systems

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

0I22WFe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ugh I do not mind boogie but that francis character is so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

COYVB wrote: »
    And like RPG stat trees, the longer you persist, the more stat points you get to play with

This. Just look at the difference between the initial offerings on PS3 / 360 compared to the games coming out in the last year. As time wears on lessons are learned and developers become more proficient at making optimizations to squeeze every last drop out of the hardware.

It works out great for PC games too, because with almost everything being cross platform these days, you end up getting games in the latter half of the console generation that look great but run at high / max settings on mid range machines. Limited hardware + optimization = win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Except that's on the late side if you look at development in general (4k TVs, 4k upscaling on normal monitors and PC gaming is there today) once again.

• Advertisement

I don't know about anyone else here but I was really impressed with Future Warfare from purely a graphical stand point. At times I was looking at it and it reminded me of the Halo feature movie in quality. Just the lighting and particle effect really wowed me and it's the first time a CoD game has ever done that to me. Sure it's gone all Halo, Crysis, Titanfall with an ID problem but it looked great. Shame about the visual feed back from firing that gun though, just didn't look or feel satisfying to shoot compared to other shooters imo.

Nody wrote: »
    Except that's on the late side if you look at development in general (4k TVs, 4k upscaling on normal monitors and PC gaming is there today) once again.

Get a €400 PC running the latest games at 4k and 60fps though. Can't be done for the time being or for a good while at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I find it quite hard to believe that without some drastic changes in the way games are rendered. Or a serious drop in visual quality.

Get a €400 PC running the latest games at 4k and 60fps though. Can't be done for the time being or for a good while at that price point.

Pedantic argument as you can't get a console to get you even 1080p at 60fps half the time for 400 euros. Nevermind 3840x2160

Nody wrote: »

It took HDTV about a decade to get any proper foothold. 4K won't be the norm until, at best, the very end of these consoles' life cycles

I find it quite hard to believe that without some drastic changes in the way games are rendered. Or a serious drop in visual quality.

It's also hard to believe when developers will choose richer visuals to higher frames, when they can squeeze more efficiencies from the hardware and engines.

Really? Take a look at the first batch of PS3 games, and compare them to The Last of Us. Exact same hardware

I'd say it can be done alright. Some game are there already, alright they are not open world games but still. The consoles are only 6 months old, look how far the last gen consoles came in 7 years, heck even 2 years after launch. Look and compare Forza 2 and Forza 4, unreal difference. F2 was 30fps and F4 is at 60fps and the graphics increase is not even funny.

It took HDTV about a decade to get any proper foothold. 4K won't be the norm until, at best, the very end of these consoles' life cycles

Disagree. Graphics cards are starting to adopt the resolution. Monitors will begin to adopt the resolution. I suppose it's a toss up whether 4k monitor refresh syncing will become the norm first. Probably both, as G-sync and it's compatriots will mean a huge performance offload from the system which can be put to higher resolution

Nintendo wins this after 20 seconds

• Advertisement

Nintendo wins this after 20 seconds

What what did I miss jumping into stream now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What what did I miss jumping into stream now

Best opening ever

Best opening ever

I hate you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Am I on drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

THAT MADE ME PISS MYSELF LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Disagree. Graphics cards are starting to adopt the resolution. Monitors will begin to adopt the resolution. I suppose it's a toss up whether 4k monitor refresh syncing will become the norm first. Probably both, as G-sync and it's compatriots will mean a huge performance offload from the system which can be put to higher resolution

I would say you're making a mistake in equating what is available to or used by top end gaming PCs with the norm. HDTVs only became commonplace in households in the last couple of years, most PC gamers play on average machines, most gamers play on consoles. The norm will be slow to adopt 4k, just as it was with 1080p.

I can't remember a more unique, self aware and honest intro to anything like this before. Fair play to them

I. Can. Be. Megaman??????

;_:

And actually Megaman!!!

;_:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My hat comes off to Nintendo with that intro, gg guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement