Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Has there been an announcement regarding playstation tv?

Got the tail end on the radio, sony to rival xbox one with playstation tv?

I dont think it is, what I think, you think it is.

It's basically an Apple TV for Games.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/10/introducing-playstation-tv/

14201101067_ab89f34744.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's basically a Vita that is configured to output to a TV.
    You can use the Vita memory cards and game carts in it.
    You also use the Dualshock 3 as a controller, and the Dualshock 4 will be usable later via an update.
    There are limits in terms of usable games due to the lack of front and rear touch pads, although this is emulated on the controller via button shortcuts and the analogue sticks.
    And it has been selling quite well in Japan as well.

I can't wait to pick one up so I can download and play the masses of Vita games I have accrued via my PSN+ account and also my physical games collection.

Happy days!

The Vita TV / Playstation TV trailer

The PS4 remote play feature review on the Vita TV
    Seems to be some lag that might really p1ss a person off, especially with action and fighting games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Damn, i should have taken those Vita PS+ games when i had the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kiith wrote: »
    Damn, i should have taken those Vita PS+ games when i had the chance...

Yep.

I even have a Vita and keep forgetting to take them. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just keep buying them and storing them on the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wait hang on. So I can play my digital PS3/vita games with playstation tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just keep buying them and storing them on the PS3.

You don't even need to store them on the PS3. If you purchase them through the site then you can download them anytime you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep, I just "purchase" them so they're added to the download list. Same with PS4 titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

cloud493 wrote: »
    Wait hang on. So I can play my digital PS3/vita games with playstation tv?

you can play (most)Vita/psp/ps1 games on it. PS2/ps3 games will be through playstation now

this is essentially a vita home console it has a mem card and vita games slot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdE4kONvFE

Listening to them chat about Dragon Age I am liking the sound of it!

They mention that there will be NO enemy scaling so you could come across something strong that you need to do a runner from, or you can go back to an area and be stronger than the enemies.

I dont know why Skyrim/Fallout don't do this as it completely ruins the immersion in their games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

joe123 wrote: »
    They mention that there will be NO enemy scaling so you could come across something strong that you need to do a runner from, or you can go back to an area and be stronger than the enemies.

I dont know why Skyrim/Fallout don't do this as it completely ruins the immersion in their games.

This is one of the things that I always find off putting about RPGs. Why am I bothering to level up if I never actually perceive myself as having gotten more powerful? What's the point in +1 strength when all my opponents get +1 defense?

I like the idea of enemies that will rip you to shreds if you encounter them early, but become manageable later. Or enemies that are a decent opponent early on, but fall before you in swathes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

joe123 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdE4kONvFE

Listening to them chat about Dragon Age I am liking the sound of it!

What i liked about that interview was that the first area is bigger than all of DA:O, they mentioned that a speedrun took 50+ hours.. SOLD!

it does sound like it'll be worth the extravagant origin pricetag, and hopefully it lives up to that hype too considering DA2 was mostly repetitive dullness all the way through aside from it's main quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What i liked about that interview was that the first area is bigger than all of DA:O, they mentioned that a speedrun took 50+ hours.. SOLD!

Maybe I'm getting too old for this kind of thing but that actually turns me off the game.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This is one of the things that I always find off putting about RPGs. Why am I bothering to level up if I never actually perceive myself as having gotten more powerful? What's the point in +1 strength when all my opponents get +1 defense?

Because console players.

*legs it out of thread*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Otacon wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting too old for this kind of thing but that actually turns me off the game.

:o
    Depends on how they define the game play really; take Skyrim. I've put down over 200h into the game but it could be done in small chunks or marathon sessions all depending on the time I had available but there was no issue to jump back in to explore another area when I felt like it. I still have not completed all the stuff in there but if you asked me up front I'd tell you no way I could spend that much time in the game (heck I spent most of that time doing everything BUT the main quest :P ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Because console players.

*legs it out of thread*

Console players don't enjoy it either. Scaling is, imo, an overwhelmingly negative thing in games.

It was stupid in Oblivion, you were better off going into the Deadric parts as a lower level because the really strong enemies never spawned in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Console players don't enjoy it either. Scaling is, imo, an overwhelmingly negative thing in games.

It was stupid in Oblivion, you were better off going into the Deadric parts as a lower level because the really strong enemies never spawned in.
    Am I the only one who like scaling to a degree? For example in Skyrim there were some scaling and at certain points things were deadly but the scaling was capped so you could easily get more powerful then they could. That meant that you still had the risk to die but you could also wtfpwn a enemy quite easily if you decided to do so (i.e. dragon shouts, armor, spells etc. out scaled the enemy).

I don't mind scaling as long as it's done slower then your level speed and with a zone hard cap (i.e. newbie zones capped at level 5, boss zones at level 80, max level for player is 100 for example). That way you still have interesting fights but you don't get punished for leveling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yep, I just "purchase" them so they're added to the download list. Same with PS4 titles.

Off topic, but people are in the know here.

Think I'll pick up a white PS4 in september, can I sign up for playstation plus now and add the free games to my download queue via the website? for 50 or so euros a year it seems like a no-brainer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Scaling is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible. If I walk into some place I shouldn't be then I should get mashed in the head and die. My hand should not be held to make it "easier" for me. At the same time, if the game doesn't make it abundantly clear to me that my level 4 Withurd will not even survive opening the door of this level 50 castle before I go to the trouble of dying horribly, then it has failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Nody wrote: »
    Am I the only one who like scaling to a degree? For example in Skyrim there were some scaling and at certain points things were deadly but the scaling was capped so you could easily get more powerful then they could. That meant that you still had the risk to die but you could also wtfpwn a enemy quite easily if you decided to do so (i.e. dragon shouts, armor, spells etc. out scaled the enemy).

I don't mind scaling as long as it's done slower then your level speed and with a zone hard cap (i.e. newbie zones capped at level 5, boss zones at level 80, max level for player is 100 for example). That way you still have interesting fights but you don't get punished for leveling up.

Scaling at a level of say 0.2 for every 1 you go up for example I could deal with. To keep things interesting. Given the nature of Bethesda game though I suppose scaling is sorta needed. It gives you free reign to explore everywhere without bottlenecking you. Still hated it though :P

The Scaling in this was basically 0.9:1 so you never really put a gulf between you and any enemy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Think I'll pick up a white PS4 in september, can I sign up for playstation plus now and add the free games to my download queue via the website? for 50 or so euros a year it seems like a no-brainer.

Yup. Create a PSN ID if you don't already have one and simply 'purchase' the games via the website every month.

Make sure you 'buy' all of the games too, even the PS3 and Vita ones, as they might sway you to getting one when they are cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Aye, that's what I do. I don't have a PS4 yet but I purchase the new games every month on the sonyentertainment.com website.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shiminay wrote: »
    Scaling is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible. If I walk into some place I shouldn't be then I should get mashed in the head and die. My hand should not be held to make it "easier" for me. At the same time, if the game doesn't make it abundantly clear to me that my level 4 Withurd will not even survive opening the door of this level 50 castle before I go to the trouble of dying horribly, then it has failed.

Borderlands had the right idea, you'd see a skull beside an enemy's health bar if they were too high level for you. Leveling up in Elder scrolls seems to have zero benefit apart from not getting encumbered by any loot you pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Great showing from Nintendo yesterday, they delivered the games they needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Great showing from Nintendo yesterday, they delivered the games they needed to.

Nintendo stole the show at E3 this year imo. Sure most of what they should is at least 6-8 months off at least but it was refreshing and needed. The gaming industry would be lost without them at this stage apart from the Indies making a little come back. I'm only after coming back to Nintendo after abandoning them since the N64 days and Res 4 on the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But Nintendo weren't at E3, remember? :) Funny how many of the sites that led with that headline are praising Nintendo for what they did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But Nintendo weren't at E3, remember? :) Funny how many of the sites that led with that headline are praising Nintendo for what they did

Is that because they dont have a live stage conference anymore to spawn cringe inducing moments from like MS and Sony do?

• I looked at the Destiny trailer last night from E3; does anybody get the feeling it plays very much like Borderlands??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I looked at the Destiny trailer last night from E3; does anybody get the feeling it plays very much like Borderlands??

Yeah it's exactly like borderlands, was apparent in the gameplay trailer from last year too. It even has legendary weapons and all that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I looked at the Destiny trailer last night from E3; does anybody get the feeling it plays very much like Borderlands??

Sure does, it's like Halo meets Boarderlands meets Tribes. Some of the weapon designs are heavily based on Boarderlands like the heavy MGs and some of the battle rifles. It has loot that is grouped by rarity colour just like Boarderlands too. White-common, Green-average, Purple-superior and Gold-rare stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement