Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• COYVB wrote: »
    Big discs, high speed broadband and large(r) hard drives = laziness in terms of file size IMO

I'm still massively frustrated with the size of the game patches and considering the regularity of having to download them.

My Dead Rising 3 install corrupted recently, it's now going to involve another 25 GB download even with the install disk. ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sooooooooooo no ZOE3 then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Overheal wrote: »
    Sooooooooooo no ZOE3 then

No :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hate people. It's because you all fap over snake moar! Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bp50UTzCYAAVpzP.jpg

The line to play a Smash bros demo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RasTa wrote: »
    Bp50UTzCYAAVpzP.jpg

The line to play a Smash bros demo.

Honestly, why would you bother your hole doing that for any game…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And people say the Wii U is a dead console...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Honestly, why would you bother your hole doing that for any game…

I ques for the Xbox launch event but that was ticketed and had comfy bean bags. I can't imagine doing what they are doing but it is a very big game in the States with a huge scene

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby wrote: »

Apparently not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently not.

People will still say it though. Even if they're wrong.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

It is an insignificant console still IMO it was released in what 2012 and has about 6 mill sales give or take.

Compared to what XB1 and PS4 have already sold since launch it's ridiculously off the pace PS4 have sold 7 million units and XB1 figures are unclear but in the region of 5 million. Despite what people here might like to think it's time to build a lead was before PS4 and XB1 launch, the fact that lead has already been surpassed says it all to me.

However, Smash Bros has been played competitively for a long time and is not Wii U dependent nor has it ever been ;) Big difference

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We shall see.
    I don't think the information to hand can accurately predict the impact of the new home home edition of Super Smash Bros, it could well sell a packet.

But plenty of people calling time on the machine as well as claiming to have the "truth" that Nintendo games irrelevant.
    I would hope the Direct showing proved that those people are simply full of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

miju wrote: »
    However, Smash Bros has been played competitively for a long time and is not Wii U dependent nor has it ever been ;) Big difference

What ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Partly because the PS4 has natively higher res textures than it's X1's counter parts and partly because of the compression method used on the PS4.

Wolfenstein is a 51gb download on the PS4 and all.
    That's not really how it works, the assets will be the same size on both versions given the marginal difference in output resolution. As for the texture compression methods, the technique used will be engine dependent rather than platform.

Digital Foundry did a nice comparison here for Wolfenstein while Ready At Dawn talked about some of the texture compression techniques used in The Order here for example. :)
    COYVB wrote: »
    Big discs, high speed broadband and large(r) hard drives = laziness in terms of file size IMO
    If you're referring to some games shipping with uncompressed audio the argument there is that it avoids CPU usage spikes at the cost of increased I/O and memory bandwidth. The counter to that is that games are often bound more by bandwidth than compute costs so in other cases you're best served by compressing them. That explains why some music is often compressed while sound effects aren't. There's also the argument that uncompressed will simply sound better although one can easily argue that the majority of people don't have the equipment necessary to even hear the difference.

In the case of Wolfenstein, the larger size could be attributed to the manner in which iDTech5 deals with textures as part of the MegaTexture tech. I've not played it yet (nor RAGE as it happens) so can't comment that much but I flicked through this post and it has some nice straight forward info on it.

In either case anyway, it's far from laziness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

miju wrote: »

Not really sure what the argument is here? The series has always been dependent on Nintendo hardware. Smash Bros Melee was a big hit, and the Gamecube was what many would deem a 'failure' (in the financial as opposed to the creative sense) too.

You know, it's only in the last month or two I've actually come to realise how big of a deal Smash Bros. is - certainly never thought it enjoyed quite as loyal and passionate a fanbase as it does. I initially thought the early 3DS version would have made quite a dent in the potential market (I still think it's a rather confused move on Nintendo's behalf) but now I can see the Wii U version giving the console a boost similar to Mario Kart. One or two more of those boosts should reinforce Nintendo's niche - and there's no harm with niches whatsoever, especially since a few of the games on the way look like they can easily match 3D World and Mario Kart levels of quality. It's looking more and more likely Wii U will never be any more than a distant third place, but if they keep putting out software to the quality they have been then who the hell cares (other than their shareholders)? Certainly it's already looking like the console will have a minimum of 10-15 superb, must play titles, even if it is put to pasture or succeeded in 2015 or 2016. Not a bad haul of games whatsoever - although I still believe Nintendo need to go for broke and release a major new, ambitious IP with the production values and quality of a Mario, Zelda or Metroid: their Princess Mononoke or Wall-E if you will. I'm sure Splatoon will be a riot, but I'm not sure it will be 'that' game Nintendo undoubtedly have in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Heres how I rate the different platforms this generation (For me).

Exclusives - PC > Nintendo > Sony > Xbox
    Multiplatform - PC > Sony > Xbox > Nintendo

Primary System = PC
    Secondary = Wii U

The main exclusive IP's from Nintendo just offer more than those on the other consoles, they are just so much different than what I can get from 3rd party developers. People talk about Halo and such... but the fact is I can get better shooters on PC, what I can't get is something like Zelda !

Whether or not the console is as successful as the other consoles means nothing to me.. as long as Nintendo get those big IP's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I must be the only gamer here that having played all sorts of games on all sorts of platforms for the past 24 years,( think I started in 1990/1) actually like the Halo games. Didn't like paying them on the PC, but on Xbox yeah.

That Captain Toad Treasure Tracker game looks a right laugh.
    I loved coming across them in Super Mario 3D World, I wonder if they can build on that into a complete title, worthy of a physical release?

Splatoon looks like it has the spirit of Powerstone beating at its heart, and that's no bad thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just came out of the The Division hands-off demo. Looks like a fascinating RPG, but I strongly suspect it requires a dedicated small group of friends to get the best out of it. You can basically explore all of midtown manhattan, surface, subsurface and super surface, and there seems to be such a ridiculous variety of skills you can choose to level up, I suspect it will take some time to get used to it all.

I must be the only gamer here that having played all sorts of games on all sorts of platforms for the past 24 years,( think I started in 1990/1) actually like the Halo games. Didn't like paying them on the PC, but on Xbox yeah.

Your not alone Ive owned / own pretty much every console since the Amstrad bar the PS4 and Dreamcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've a ps4 and a wii U if I had to get rid of one tomorrow it would be the ps4 all the games I've played on it are more of the same except for a few indie games, Resogun springs to mind, but there is definitely a bit of magic in the Nintendo stuff.
    It's sad that there is such a negative view of the system and it's sad that so many people won't get to experience some of the best games out their because of there views on Nintendo.
    And although sales are very slow don't count Nintendo out yet! They are doing most things right at the moment and hopefully it will create momentum for the future and get third party developers back on board!

I started in the late 70s and have every console I've ever owned as well as many I never had the chance to own.
    And I never get bored of new hardware and games, though the wife seems to think 42 is a bit old for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

iamtony wrote: »
    I've a ps4 and a wii U if I had to get rid of one tomorrow it would be the ps4 all the games I've played on it are more of the same except for a few indie games, Resogun springs to mind, but there is definitely a bit of magic in the Nintendo stuff.
    It's sad that there is such a negative view of the system and it's sad that so many people won't get to experience some of the best games out their because of there views on Nintendo.
    And although sales are very slow don't count Nintendo out yet! They are doing most things right at the moment and hopefully it will create momentum for the future and get third party developers back on board!

Nintendo for me just re-use a lot of their IP way too much, and I'd love to see Nintendo sort out their console for kids look on things, a lot of gamers are adults and Nintendo should cater for those too.

ZombieU is a prime example, i was like nice! nintendo are finally waking up to making a new console for adults as well as kids and then they toned it down and forced people to only buy the game after 11pm? *shakes head*

Nintendo should just make a console that is targeted for both age groups with maybe a on/off parental switch like an xbox or playstation and will be innovative with hardware, at least make the console something that developers don't have to jump through hoops to develop for.

My 5c worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

BordorFox wrote: »
    Nintendo for me just re-use a lot of their IP way too much

Nintendo's problem is a weird one. Let's say they benched their flagship IPs for the next 5 years and worked with all new characters in all new universes, the games would, for the most part, be very much the same as they would've been with Mario or Zelda or Donkey Kong in them. That is to say they'd be best in breed, or close to, within their genres. I think Nintendo's mentality is why bother when they have all the assets already there from their key franchises.

The world doesn't need another 2D Mario or Donkey Kong game at the moment, but that tends to only be part of what Nintendo does. The issue is that with such blanket coverage for the key franchise characters for the company people get jaded. Would a reskin make Mario-tired people more interested in a new 2D platformer? People might disagree, but I think it would TBH.

Nintendo's greatest strength its fast becoming its greatest weakness

It doesn't matter how different each game featuring Mario is, it's still going to be seen by too many people as "another game with Mario"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think Nintendo will eventually call it a day in the console market and simply make games for other consoles similar to Sega back in 2001 when they decided to no longer create and sell consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

461558213414def11fb2ce2568f93739.png

Would absolutely love to hear a bit more on the above. A game I'm really looking forward to along with Rime. Hopefully we'll see them again at Gamescom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

COYVB wrote: »
    Nintendo's problem is a weird one. Let's say they benched their flagship IPs for the next 5 years and worked with all new characters in all new universes, the games would, for the most part, be very much the same as they would've been with Mario or Zelda or Donkey Kong in them. That is to say they'd be best in breed, or close to, within their genres. I think Nintendo's mentality is why bother when they have all the assets already there from their key franchises.

The world doesn't need another 2D Mario or Donkey Kong game at the moment, but that tends to only be part of what Nintendo does. The issue is that with such blanket coverage for the key franchise characters for the company people get jaded. Would a reskin make Mario-tired people more interested in a new 2D platformer? People might disagree, but I think it would TBH.

Nintendo's greatest strength its fast becoming its greatest weakness

It doesn't matter how different each game featuring Mario is, it's still going to be seen by too many people as "another game with Mario"

Nintendo could still work with their IP but embrace developers and other studios too, which is not something they do and shows when you look at their current categories.

The Wii U is very close to the specs of a Xbox 360 but they made it even worse in terms of working with the hardware and the gamepad/tablet controller, this is where the likes of sony made steps with making the ps4 developr friendly and getting much praise for doing so and microsoft almost doing the same bar the esram hurdle.

If nintendo want to survive, which i want them to, they will have to put out a system that can stand up against the competition, and unfortunately the WiiU is just not up to that.

Well how about that. Ask and you shall receive! (Didn't work with TLG :( )

Some info here too

new-trailer-and-details-for-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and The Witness are the two games I bought a PS4 for. It's those sort of games (to which I'd add No Man's Sky) that make me excited about the next gen, not whatever AAA franchises will be enjoying their 7th sequel.

• Advertisement

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and The Witness are the two games I bought a PS4 for. It's those sort of games (to which I'd add No Man's Sky) that make me excited about the next gen, not whatever AAA franchises will be enjoying their 7th sequel.

I love a good AAA but I completely agree.. they were the reason behind me picking it up too (along with Rime) .

I thought the Witness would have been out by now.. just hoping it's out before 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement