Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What kind of a game is Rapture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

What determines a console lifespan successful ? Is it sales for one company to sell more than the other ? If it is you can throw that fanboy mentality out the ****ing window. Is the games the consoles has determine how successful the platform is ? Yes , yes it is.

Ever since the gamecube nintendo were happy to be the secondary consoles in peoples homes making a platform with reasonable specs to keep console price low and affordable as they see consoles and videogames toys at the end of the day for families to enjoy together , it has been this way since the 80s and thats not going to change nor I want it to.

If wiiu sells like piss but ends up being profitable for nintendo with the carry on off great exclusives then the console is successful in my eyes. Nintendo tried to capulise of both markets and failed just like sony and microsoft did with the ps move and kinetic.

Nintendo now knows wii u is going to be the secondary consoles in peoples homes , but if it ends up being a niche console with niche games I could give a **** as long as the games are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Amiibos will make Nintendo more money than the 3DS and Wii U combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure if it was mentioned already Payday 2 coming to PS4/One , getting a little tired of all these reissues to be honest. Though I will get metro redux :)

COYVB wrote: »

I am a 24 year old man and I have few planned to buy ....you know .......for science

• Advertisement

I am a 24 year old man and I have few planned to buy ....you know .......for science

I'll be buying them all anyway. Takes a decent idea for kids in Skylanders and Infinity and tweaks it enough to make it a massively attractive proposition for grown up Nintendo fans

I'll be buying them all anyway. Takes a decent idea for kids in Skylanders and Infinity and tweaks it enough to make it a massively attractive proposition for grown up Nintendo fans

They seem to be better detailed than skylanders and infinity , even if one was not to use them they still make nice figures to display

Yeah, they're high quality figures, but what steals the show is the usefulness of them, and the fact that my Mario will be completely different to yours, and that if we wanted, you could borrow my Mario to play against "me" in Smash Bros or Mario Kart, or to train at Smash Bros I could play against "myself" to learn my flaws. That's simply brilliant

*edit*

Or if im calling around to a mate's house I can bring my character with me and use it on their console, while still tracking my progress away from my own machine.

There's a LOT more to this than I think most people realise. It ain't a Skylanders retread

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tok9 wrote: »
    Well how about that. Ask and you shall receive! (Didn't work with TLG :( )

Some info here too

new-trailer-and-details-for-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/

heh, there is no way my GPUs are going to handle that at those settings. Almost time to retire my Twin Drive System and upgrade for something bigger and scarier. Have to wait until I'm not $40,000 in debt though. #college

Yeah, they're high quality figures, but what steals the show is the usefulness of them, and the fact that my Mario will be completely different to yours, and that if we wanted, you could borrow my Mario to play against "me" in Smash Bros or Mario Kart, or to train at Smash Bros I could play against "myself" to learn my flaws. That's simply brilliant

*edit*

Or if im calling around to a mate's house I can bring my character with me and use it on their console, while still tracking my progress away from my own machine.

There's a LOT more to this than I think most people realise. It ain't a Skylanders retread

Yes , even when nintendo takes ideas one of the very few times they still manage to do things different enough to make it unique.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

What determines a console lifespan successful ? Is it sales for one company to sell more than the other ? If it is you can throw that fanboy mentality out the ****ing window. Is the games the consoles has determine how successful the platform is ? Yes , yes it

its nothing to do with fanboy mentality. As for your question i would say Nintendo massive dropping sales forecasts as unsuccessful.

fanboy mentality aside consoles and their games live off the commercial success of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Again I'll point out their last adventure into this foray with Disney Infinity and Skylanders didn't make them more money than the 3DS.

Who knows though could be third time lucky for Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

miju wrote: »
    Again I'll point out their last adventure into this foray with Disney Infinity and Skylanders didn't make them more money than the 3DS.

Who knows though could be third time lucky for Nintendo

Nintendo didn't make those so I don't really see your point.

Why would Disney and Activision products make Nintendo money? Activision has made more than $2bn from Skylanders so far, which is pretty decent. But I'm confused why Nintendo would be entitled to a cut on any money that they make from selling plastic figures?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But Skylanders and Infinity aren't Nintendo games, they just appeared on Nintendo consoles. And they were massive financial successes, albeit multi format ones so therefore didn't benefit any individual company (except Activision and Disney).

For the record, I have no interest in Nintendo figures, and don't believe their cited functionality (graphical transitions aside) couldn't be achieved far cheaper with some sort of memory card. But if it's a hit for them, good on 'em, god knows they need it.

its nothing to do with fanboy mentality. As for your question i would say Nintendo massive dropping sales forecasts as unsuccessful.

fanboy mentality aside consoles and their games live off the commercial success of each other.

Forcast change all the time , it does not mean anything. Wii u struggling no one ever said otherwise but thats down to marketing and selling the system to the public. 3ds has near 50 million consumers now that still build on nintendo losses which cannot be said about sony and microsoft as they need to bank on the success of there consoles.

But Skylanders and Infinity aren't Nintendo games, they just appeared on Nintendo consoles. And they were massive financial successes, albeit multi format ones so therefore didn't benefit any individual company (except Activision and Disney).

For the record, I have no interest in Nintendo figures, and don't believe their cited functionality (graphical transitions aside) couldn't be achieved far cheaper with some sort of memory card. But if it's a hit for them, good on 'em, god knows they need it.

Nintendo is more valuable of a company than sony now , it has been reported that they could lose money for what 50 ? and still be around without a problem. This is not make or break for them but its going to increase the value and knowledge of there mascots to a wider range of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nintendo is more valuable of a company than sony now , it has been reported that they could lose money for what 50 ? and still be around without a problem. This is not make or break for them but its going to increase the value and knowledge of there mascots to a wider range of players.

Um... what?

Not even close.

Sony
    Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

08/01/14

Tonight the streams crossed. After a disappointing earnings report from Sony in early November broke their comeback story (largely due to huge losses from box-office bombs), Sony's stock has dipped substantially and tonight in the Tokyo stock exchange Sony's market capitalization has fallen to 1.86 trillion yen ($17.769 billion).

Sony

After bouncing off their multi-year lows last February Nintendo's stock has rallied more than 50% in the past few months perhaps as the 3DS posted decent numbers, or perhaps because of investor optimism that Nintendo will change strategies after the next quarterly earnings. Nintendo's market capitalization is now 1.93 trillion yen ($18.437 billion).

Nintendo

This could have changed again, but they are still close.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... Forbes or Metro. I'm struggling to decide which is a better source.

Oh it's just too vexing, I give up.
    Xenji wrote: »
    This could have changed again, but they are still close.

'Things have changed, and they are no longer close. As per Forbes.

4 billion gap if we are going by forbes is still a small gap so they are neck and neck. Should speak volumes though the power of nintendo ips that they still are up there with a company like sony which was the apple in the 80s and 90s and nintendo managed to still be successful without 3rd party which in all honestly if sony did not have they be gone ages ago.

I just wish we can push behind this milking , kiddy comments and just play the games and enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Ah come on guys, the metro report is from January. It was true then. It's not now. Sony's market cap is $20 billion, Nintendo's is $16 billion.

You're not exactly comparing like with like though. Nintendo is pretty much solely in videogames, with a workforce of around 5,000. Sony is in multiple electronic sectors (for now anyway) and employs around 146,000 people. It would be kind of shocking if Sony's market cap wasn't higher to be honest.

There are other things that are important as well, anyway, like profit levels or the fact that Nintendo has 0 debt and plenty of cash in the bank, while Sony have $12 billion in debt.

And now moving away from my day job, who really gives a damn other than investors and so forth which is worth more? I could care less, as long as they both continue in existence and continue to make excellent games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Over the last 15 years I think, even though I have owned mostly everything, I could have lives without Xbox consoles, Sony and Nintendo have had the exclusive titles that have mattered, and there little I think I'd have missed by not owning a Xbox or a 360.
    I'd have missed Halo, gods know there was precious little as good on the PS3, but then I have the Metroid Prime trilogy to keep me going!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well there is the Mass Effect series that started as an Xbox exclusive but it was on PC anyway. Alan Wake and Forza is/was a better alternative racer to the GT series imo. I did enjoy the Gears series too.

I spent all of last gen on the 360, ignored the Wii after the Zelda launch game and just used the PS3 for exclusives. The 360 had a better controller and the cross platform games ran and looked better in general than the PS3 counterparts. That changed after 2012's E3 and I moved to the PS3 more and more especially with the value offered by PS+ getting better and better all of last year. Now I have sold all my 360s my Xbox One and got a WiiU to replace them and catch up on all the Wii titles I missed while there are gaps in the PS4 line up.

My only regret on not having and Xbox now is missing out on Halo.

Well there is the Mass Effect series that started as an Xbox exclusive but it was on PC anyway. Alan Wake and Forza is/was a better alternative racer to the GT series imo. I did enjoy the Gears series too.

I spent all of last gen on the 360, ignored the Wii after the Zelda launch game and just used the PS3 for exclusives. The 360 had a better controller and the cross platform games ran and looked better in general than the PS3 counterparts. That changed after 2012's E3 and I moved to the PS3 more and more especially with the value offered by PS+ getting better and better all of last year. Now I have sold all my 360s my Xbox One and got a WiiU to replace them and catch up on all the Wii titles I missed while there are gaps in the PS4 line up.

My only regret on not having and Xbox now is missing out on Halo.

You'll get the master chief collection on PC anyway, it'll just be a bit of a wait. Frankie already said it was something they'll probably do when they have the manpower available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Ah come on guys, the metro report is from January. It was true then. It's not now. Sony's market cap is $20 billion, Nintendo's is $16 billion.

Isn't the Metro just something you read for entertainment when on a bus or train, found of the seat beside you.

I never rely on it for factual information and certainly wouldn't quote it.

A lot of it's articles are taken from other sources anyways

Um... what?

Not even close.

Sony
    Nintendo

If you look to the right hand side of each of those pages on Forbes...

Sony: #80 World's Most Valuable Brands
    Nintendo: #63 World's Most Valuable Brands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was sorry to see no real new hardware at the E3.
    By that I mean the two VR systems.
    I expected a big push but, it seems not.
    Could Morpheus be getting held back for the TGS I wonder?
    and what about the Rift?
    Perhaps too, the brevity of the Nintendo Direct show was due to the portion dedicated to the Quality of life hardware was edited out, maybe?
    Again, being held for the TGS instead?

• Advertisement

If you look to the right hand side of each of those pages on Forbes...

Sony: #80 World's Most Valuable Brands
    Nintendo: #63 World's Most Valuable Brands

That is the brand value, not the value of the company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement