Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

COYVB wrote: »
    You'll get the master chief collection on PC anyway, it'll just be a bit of a wait. Frankie already said it was something they'll probably do when they have the manpower available
    343 have nothing to do with the MC Collection so it'll be completely up to MS on that one. As such, it'll be well after the XBox One collection is released since they're touting it as a big platform release. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was sorry to see no real new hardware at the E3.
    By that I mean the two VR systems.
    I expected a big push but, it seems not.
    Could Morpheus be getting held back for the TGS I wonder?
    and what about the Rift?
    Perhaps too, the brevity of the Nintendo Direct show was due to the portion dedicated to the Quality of life hardware was edited out, maybe?
    Again, being held for the TGS instead?

I just don't think you can show much regarding VR. Clearly, neither are coming out till late 2015 at the earliest. I genuinely can't believe we're still waiting on the Rift consumer version. It's feels like it's been around forever at this stage.

Think I'll go to Eurogamer expo here and hope Rift is playable again and Morpheus is playable. Would be very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Isn't the Metro just something you read for entertainment when on a bus or train, found of the seat beside you.

I never rely on it for factual information and certainly wouldn't quote it.

A lot of it's articles are taken from other sources anyways

It is but the figures were actually accurate. I remember reading it in more reputable sources at the time. It changes pretty much every day anyway so I wouldn't place much emphasis on it, especially in a games forum!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll be buying a Wii u next year so I can play new xenoblade game,new Zelda game and monster hunter 4 u :-D.

I'll be buying a Wii u next year so I can play new xenoblade game,new Zelda game and monster hunter 4 u :-D.

I thought Monster Hunter was only 3DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was sorry to see no real new hardware at the E3.
    By that I mean the two VR systems.
    I expected a big push but, it seems not.
    Could Morpheus be getting held back for the TGS I wonder?
    and what about the Rift?
    Perhaps too, the brevity of the Nintendo Direct show was due to the portion dedicated to the Quality of life hardware was edited out, maybe?
    Again, being held for the TGS instead?

Both VR systems are at E3, Sony have three games/tech demos showing on Morpheus at their booth.

CCP have the Rift at theirs, they had it behind closed doors last year at Gamescom I got to test out Valkyrie and yes it is amazing.

The problem with VR is it is pretty much impossible to show off at a presentation that will be broadcast on a 2D screen. You either end up showing one screen which looks the same as normal or you show the dual screens which is not much good either at getting across the experience.

It really is one of those things that you think might be cool. Then you get to use one and you will never want to play a game any other way ever again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The thing about VR systems is, while they seem cool, I just can't really imagine myself ever sitting on the couch with a helmet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The thing about VR systems is, while they seem cool, I just can't really imagine myself ever sitting on the couch with a helmet on.

Oh **** son, I do! I cant wait until I look like a jack ass 6 hours a day with some stuff on my face. The price of looking dumb is well worth VR.
    After trying out Oculus, I just cant wait for proper consumer version.

Deano7788 wrote: »

It is. Slap Monster Hunter 4 u on Wii U and then I am reconsidering my relationship with Nintendo and Wii U.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh **** son, I do! I cant wait until I look like a jack ass 6 hours a day with some stuff on my face. The price of looking dumb is well worth VR.

It's going to end up just like the "Better Than Life" VR helmets in Red Dwarf. We'll all be homeless Oculus junkies lying around in alley ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You can play the online mode on your Wii U.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's going to end up just like the "Better Than Life" VR helmets in Red Dwarf. We'll all be homeless Oculus junkies lying around in alley ways.

That actually really really puts me in a mood for some Red Dwarf marathon lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mickeroo wrote: »

This is the thing. I can only imagine what would happen if, instead of plopping on the couch and sticking on DayZ (or whatever) on the laptop while the missus watches TV, I went into a helmeted cocoon world where I was incommunicado for who knows how long.

I suspect I'd soon be looking to the Rift to keep me warm in bed at night, and it would be found wanting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That actually really really puts me in a mood for some Red Dwarf marathon lol!
    It's Friday; order in 10 portions of Chicken Vindaloo and stack up the beer to have a wonderful weekend :P

Xenji wrote: »
    You can play the online mode on your Wii U.

Are you sure? I know you could with 3 Ultimate but I haven't seen anything saying that for 4, just that there will be 3DS online play now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep,
    We all look dumb playing a Virtual Boy but, let me tell you, it's tons of fun.
    And makes you go blind.... maybe....

well, feck you guys. I am watching Red Dwarf now.... I find it a bit silly that UK Netflix does not have Red Dwarf, but American one does... And we know how **** american Red Dwarf Pilot was...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Are you sure? I know you could with 3 Ultimate but I haven't seen anything saying that for 4, just that there will be 3DS online play now.

Kaname Fujioka said they were hoping to implement the feature again for MH4.

• tok9 wrote: »
    I just don't think you can show much regarding VR. Clearly, neither are coming out till late 2015 at the earliest. I genuinely can't believe we're still waiting on the Rift consumer version. It's feels like it's been around forever at this stage.

Think I'll go to Eurogamer expo here and hope Rift is playable again and Morpheus is playable. Would be very happy with that.

London this year?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    London this year?

Ya it's on here every year. Looks like it's called EGX now and all the damn early bird tickets are already gone! :(

• Advertisement

• tok9 wrote: »
    Ya it's on here every year. Looks like it's called EGX now and all the damn early bird tickets are already gone! :(

Unlucky, would be class to go. Considering I may be in London at that time.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Unlucky, would be class to go. Considering I may be in London at that time.

Sorry, no idea why I said early bird. All the early morning tickets are sold. So that opens at 10 and there is less of a crowd inside queueing for things.

Most other tickets are available and I'll probably pick up the day one which opens at 11 but the queues are huge in there.

Might try and go for 2 days and take my time in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

VR is going to take a long time to develop for obvious reasons but the interview linked to in the no mans sky thread has rift talking about it themselves briefly: it's more than just a peripheral, you want the tech not to just feel like a gimmicky add on, but a new way to play the game; even integral. As such you spend so many years developing and fine tuning the hardware and then once Dev kits are unleashed it can take multiple years before enough devs have finished projects to say ok it's time to drop this in the wild. If you drop it early with no games support or not enough of it then it will be as anti climatic as leap motion controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I suspect I'd soon be looking to the Rift to keep me warm in bed at night, and it would be found wanting.

Time to fire up that "special" simulator, and hope that Facebook doesn't automatically post that you're "playing" it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Time to fire up that "special" simulator, and hope that Facebook doesn't automatically post that you're "playing" it...

Facebook relationship status will have to include "abusing self wearing VR goggles", or is that simply "it's complicated"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

One small stand was displaying what can only be described as a 360degree treadmill for use with VR goggles. I'm not sure I much liked the system, but it was interesting to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One small stand was displaying what can only be described as a 360degree treadmill for use with VR goggles. I'm not sure I much liked the system, but it was interesting to look at.

I've seen VR in malls since the 90s. Wanted to try it but I only had $10 (thats all Mom gave me to spend) and it was 10 minutes of that, or a ripcord-launch helicopter.

....ironically, the helicopter itself lasted only 10 minutes: we launched it in the mall parking lot and it crashed spectacularly on the asphalt.

But yeah the VR also had a tread mill and you think to yourself yeah, VR is only going to work seated with a control. Full body motion isn't going to work. Even when you look at cartoons/anime that go all-out trying to make realistic looking VR/Battlesuit interfaces, theres just no way to do full motion. Titans, Gundams, all driven by pedals and throttles. Yer pilot is not in there doing a 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This is what represents VR to me

Just waiting on holosuites/decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Full VR, would work in a kind of lazer tag environment. Long way off obviously but im sure in time, as long as R&D keeps invested it'll get there.

Check this blog from a developer that was at Valve's headquarters for some dev day or something. Pretty interesting... sounds amazing.

http://vimeo.com/85325118

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Surprised to hear nothing on H1Z1, didn't they say there was only be an alpha pretty soon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement