Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not a system seller kind of game, though. Anyway, doesn't mean it's a good game (although I think it's decent when fixed/modded). Bethesda have gone really downhill, though.

If someone is on the fence about what console to buy, and Elder Scrolls or Fallout game being exclusive to either would definitely make their decision for them (obviously, assuming they like genre). Also, i'm not sure if you remember how buggy Morrowind was at launch. They've never been known for their stable releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

There better be something from Bioware on the next Mass Effect title or I will lose my junk. I am literally obsessed with Mass Effect right now. This hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager.

But...everyone who was ever obsessed with Mass Effect hates Mass Effect :pac:
    It's not a system seller kind of game, though. Anyway, doesn't mean it's a good game (although I think it's decent when fixed/modded). Bethesda have gone really downhill, though.

I'm not sure what you would class as a system seller if not Skyrim. It sold incredibly well and many people who played it kept doing so for 100+ hours. It had mountains of hype when it came out, certainly it was one of the biggest games of the year.
    funkyflea wrote: »
    Ignoring PC for a moment, wasn't morrowind only on the Xbox console? (Not exclusive, but for technical reasons) Oblivion, iirc, was a timed exclusive for the 360. And Skyrim had some timed exclusive DLC.

Getting Oblivion on consoles first was a big push for me in buying the 360, and being able to play morrowind on a console was also one of the reasons I picked up the original Xbox later in it's life.

Considering the above, it's not completely in the realm of make-believe. However, I still can't see it happening..

TES was a much smaller game series back then. Morrowind was the first big entry in the series. Oblivion was a timed exclusive for 360 though. It still wasn't as big at that time, after Skyrim's success it would be a real surprise if they went back to the way things were before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

C14N wrote: »
    But...everyone who was ever obsessed with Mass Effect hates Mass Effect :pac:

People's hate for Mass Effect is merely a symptom of their love for it. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say a WiiU bundle including the WiiU Sports Club physical release could make the console relevant.
    The golf game is superb and genuinely offers something the other consoles cannot.
    It could be, like Brain Training before it on the DS, be a pathway into the older market.
    Metroid Prime Trilogy on the 3DS though, unlikely but would be so awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm kind of rooting for Nintendo this year. Please, show us some Zelda, Xeno-whatever and other quality games, and it'll give me a proper reason to buy the WiiU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

funkyflea wrote: »
    Ignoring PC for a moment, wasn't morrowind only on the Xbox console? (Not exclusive, but for technical reasons) Oblivion, iirc, was a timed exclusive for the 360. And Skyrim had some timed exclusive DLC.

Getting Oblivion on consoles first was a big push for me in buying the 360, and being able to play morrowind on a console was also one of the reasons I picked up the original Xbox later in it's life.

Considering the above, it's not completely in the realm of make-believe. However, I still can't see it happening..
    There's a sizeable difference between timed exclusive (particularly when it comes to DLC) and a fully exclusive game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just loved Oblivion, played tons of it on the 360, when it popped up later for the PS3.... felt a bit like those re-releases on the WiiU, it's all kinda, yeah, I know there might be something extra here but why would I buy it for full price on the PS3 when I can get it for the 360 already discounted.
    But I'd agree, I don't think a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game would be a system seller, it'd affect ones choosing but I don't think it's the headline kinda title, especially if it will eventually come to PC/PS3/360 anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hasn't Zelda Williams (Robin's daughter) said she's doing something for Ninty at E3? Or have I got that totally arseways? I'd call myself "neutrally indifferent" towards Nintendo - no desire to see them be anything other than successful, but no desire to be a customer of theirs because of the kids first, old IP, dinosaur management that seems to be pervasive in their company.

What I'd like to see? Companies saying sorry for the bullsht broken releases they all inflicted and continue to inflict on us and announcements of how they're going to get their sht together and stop letting marketing decide when their software people are finished. It'll never happen though.

I'm looking forward to seeing Epic show more of UT and for them to announce some partners who will be taking on the UE4 and what sort of games we're going to see from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'm interested in the UT/UE4 stuff. Hoping we get a good bit of a demo for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

People's hate for Mass Effect is merely a symptom of their love for it. :pac:

Not entirely true either, i loved ME3, and anyone that i know irl that's played it, loved it too. Admittedly that's only like 4 people.. anyone else i know that games, has never had any interest in the ME universe.

• Advertisement

Not entirely true either, i loved ME3, and anyone that i know irl that's played it, loved it too. Admittedly that's only like 4 people.. anyone else i know that games, has never had any interest in the ME universe.

That was a lighthearted response to what I took to be a lighthearted comment. I'm with you, I loved all three ME games as did any of my own friends who played it. Oddly, four of them just like yourself. :D

There's one guy I know who only liked the first one, but he's one of those people who almost literally hates everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Agent for PS4 (if it still exists). Unlikely as R* don't usually attend E3 but would be a big win for sony. If either Sony or Microsoft could get GTA V as a timed exclusive on PS4/XO with a new story expansion like TLAD & BOGT for GTA IV it would be big news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

iMuse wrote: »
    Agent for PS4 (if it still exists). Unlikely as R* don't usually attend E3 but would be a big win for sony. If either Sony or Microsoft could get GTA V as a timed exclusive on PS4/XO with a new story expansion like TLAD & BOGT for GTA IV it would be big news

this will never happen....NEVER :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm 99% certain we'll see some form of Metroid game. No f-zero this year though.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm 99% certain we'll see some form of Metroid game. No f-zero this year though.

There's only room for one Ninty bound anti gravity racer and MK8 is it!
    Metroid though, please be true!
    But will it sell any consoles?
    Is Samus a system seller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No, metroid doesn't have the awareness( if thats the right word) or the right appeal to be a system seller in the vein of Mario Kart. Thats fine though. More Metroid for me :)

I don't think Mario Kart would be a system seller either. What I mean by that is, the people who would buy a Nintendo console to get Mario Kart are the same people who are probably leaning towards Nintendo anyway. I don't think any of the traditional Nintendo IPs are going to convert people who would previously have been PS or XBox players.

Might spur them on to buy a WiiU as well, particularly if the showing at the E3 includes a €200 price point with a game.
    And, as I said, if the game is a pleaser like WiiU Sports Club or a new Nintendoland compilation of demos of the consoles unique selling points, I'd say it might be a rosier Xmas than many would have predicted.

How many people bought the Wii cause it was a relatively cheap novelty? It was sold as a "second console" and so it achieved this admirably. I'd wager 75% of them were left gathering dust (everyone I knew who bought one for novelty had theirs gathering dust after 6 months) and maybe only occasionally brought out for parties. People aren't going to be burned like that again by Nintendo - not when their tablet or phone is already their "second" console.

Shiminay wrote: »
    How many people bought the Wii cause it was a relatively cheap novelty? It was sold as a "second console" and so it achieved this admirably. I'd wager 75% of them were left gathering dust (everyone I knew who bought one for novelty had theirs gathering dust after 6 months) and maybe only occasionally brought out for parties. People aren't going to be burned like that again by Nintendo - not when their tablet or phone is already their "second" console.

"Burned"? A little melodramatic there I think.
    It certainly wasn't anything like the Saturn and N64 price drops that caught so many people.
    I know plenty of people who bought the Wii and fun with it for years.
    And, speaking personally, the tablet/phone is not really anyone's second console, the sales of the 3ds would seem to prove that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It is true though.

The vast majority of Wii's were left unused after the first few months.

I didn't pick up a Wii until about 4-5 years into it's lifecycle (Got it the Christmas SMG2 came out) and I was delighted with it as I knew there were a tonne of great games to pick up for it now.

Problem is as has been discussed in the Wii thread the huge market are the ones who left their Wii with nothing to do and don't care about some of the great games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I got a wii in 2007 and hardly played it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dontnod (remember me ) ans Square Enix have a new title on the card , could get shown off at E3 , word is it's a download only title. I'm interested to see what they deliver, Remember Me was a decent game.

There seems to be a lot of stuff getting put out today ahead of E3 I might start a new thread in a bit with all those trailers in it etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A new fallout game

Too bad this wont be happening anyway :(

Yeah, sorry to go OT, seeing as there is already a thread devoted to the people who love games and the rest who don't like Nintendo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just Cause 3 would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ricochet 2

• Registered Users Posts: 82,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Valve-Presenting-Something-at-Sony-s-E3-2014-Press-Conference-Report-445101.shtml

Short version: Valve will be at the Sony Press Conference.

This could be any number of things. Left4Dead 3 seems to be the suggested reveal (meh.) but could also be PS4/PC receal of HL3 (Yeah no. But OMG what if) It could just as easily be DOTA2 on the PS4 or something equally

More than likely this is about the Playstation Network and Valve playing in the same sandbox, and given Sony's history in the Games Industry over the last 20 odd years* it is also possible (quite possible) they will either be launching a Sony SteamBox, a SteamBox/Playstation controller design partnership, or will otherwise announce PS4+SteamBox compatibility.

*As a refresh, Sony was the company Nintendo licensed to explore a foray into CD Media, that became the PS1. Sega also considered partnership and they even collaborated on specs for what became the PS1, but then they split and Sega launched Saturn and the two competed directly. The SNES-CD partnership dates all the way back to 1988.

Wasn't there some sort of PlayStation/Steam partnership before? They still have that "are you too PS3 to know how to computer and need help filling out the form" link on the Steam Sign-in page. I'm trying to remember what it was for - Orange Box maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement