Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which (GoG) Settlers version to go for?

Options
  • 02-05-2014 1:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Simple question really; I played the original way way back and loved the whole building up production, balance the number of soldiers, build fortress at borders to sotp invasions etc. Never really got back into it after that game (I did try Heritage of Kings but really did not like it) and I've seen release after release since so I thought I'd go and buy one on GoG to rekindle the "good old days" but there are a ton of 'em!

So which version should I get?

Comments

• Settlers 3 is my fav by far, think it was Shadowhearth who reminded me how great it is. I bought it for the missus but she hasn't played it yet :P
    Be prepared to loose a day with the game though it eats into time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Another vote for 3 - I have played 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 'only', but of these Settlers 3 was the best. Even if it isn't terribly different from the first 2.

I'd like to try the 10th anniversary version of Settlers 2, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Settlers 3 and 4 are golden. Cant go wrong with that. I would HIGHLY recommend getting Settlers 7 ( latest one ). It abandoned bull**** in 5 and 6 and gone to the roots of Settlers 3. I still dont know which one I love more 3/4 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Settlers 2 FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Another vote for 2 if you want a management game. If what you really want is an RTS, go for 3. The Settlers 3 looks prettier but it ditched some of the key management elements from the first two games, which made it more accessible but shallower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ended up going with Settler 2 10 year anniversary edition; already spent hours on the second map :P

Advertisement