Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from pre pay power

Options
  • 02-05-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a pre pay power meter installed in a property we are renting, the house is split in to two and there is a meter in the other section of the property also. I have spoken to the landlord and he is happy for us to use what ever provider we want for the electricity as long as it stays as a pre pay meter. Can you tell me what the rates are on the meter? I believe that the pre pay power meter charges a double daily standing charge and this is what we are trying to avoid and any discounted rate that applies to the pre paid option.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ElKavo,

Thanks for your post.
    ElKavo wrote:
    I have spoken to the landlord and he is happy for us to use what ever provider we want for the electricity as long as it stays as a pre pay meter.

If you were to switch to Electric Ireland, your current provider would deactivate and subsequently collect your pre-pay meter. You could then apply to get a pay-as-you-go meter installed with Electric Ireland, but please bear in mind that we are unable to offer the pay-as-you-go option to all customers, as there are certain criteria that would need to be met. For example, we cannot offer this option if a customer's meter is located in a switchroom, or is on a Nightsaver tariff.
    ElKavo wrote:
    Can you tell me what the rates are on the meter? I believe that the pre pay power meter charges a double daily standing charge and this is what we are trying to avoid and any discounted rate that applies to the pre paid option.

We don't charge anything extra for installation of the meter, or for the daily standing charge. And you would be eligible for certain discounts when availing of the pay-as-you-go option. For more information, we would recommend giving our sales team a call on 1850 30 10 30, or sending us a PM with further information.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi ElKavo,

Thanks for your post.
    Originally posted by ElKavo
    I have spoken to the landlord and he is happy for us to use what ever provider we want for the electricity as long as it stays as a pre pay meter.

If you were to switch to Electric Ireland, your current provider would deactivate and subsequently collect your pre-pay meter. You could then apply to get a pay-as-you-go meter installed with Electric Ireland, but please bear in mind that we are unable to offer the pay-as-you-go option to all customers, as there are certain criteria that would need to be met. For example, we cannot offer this option if a customer's meter is located in a switchroom, or is on a Nightsaver tariff.
    Originally posted by ElKavo
    Can you tell me what the rates are on the meter? I believe that the pre pay power meter charges a double daily standing charge and this is what we are trying to avoid and any discounted rate that applies to the pre paid option.

We don't charge anything extra for installation of the meter, or for the daily standing charge. And you would be eligible for certain discounts when availing of the pay-as-you-go option. For more information, we would recommend giving our sales team a call on 1850 30 10 30, or sending us a PM with further information.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David
    Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually spoke to the sales guys on the pre pay meter. It seems that the only way to get one of electric ireland is to be in debt, seems a bit mixed up but if that's the policy that's the policy. If it were me Id rather have as many customers as possible on pre pay meters instead of offering discounts on DD and the like.

Anyway not to worry.

Cheers

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ElKavo,

Thanks for the response. In general yes, our pay-as-you-go meters for electricity are reserved for customers who are currently in arrears or experiencing financial difficulties. However, do keep an eye on our website for any future changes.

If it's of relevance to you, we do offer the option of as pay-as-you-go meter for gas customers (the Pay As You Go Choice option) so you wouldn't need to be in arrears for this. See here for further info.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement