Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dinghy, powerboat, sailing...

• 02-05-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey all!
    I've recently moved to a coastal village and I love being by the sea :)
    I've been swimming in the sea (quick dips!) since October...
    Now I'm looking at the various options in terms of taking full advantage of living by the sea and I'm finding out about the courses my local sailing club offer...
    What would be the pros and cons in terms of doing a dinghy sailing course versus a powerboat course?
    I'm daydreaming about being able to head out and explore along the coast in a little craft by myself - is that totally insane? or is it an ambition I can work towards?
    thanks for your thoughts !
    Em

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Welcome Fitzg, Daydreaming is where we all started :D Powerboating can be quite expensive but a lot of fun sailing, well what can I say about sailing..... I'll let someone else answer that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

have a look at http://www.sailspree.ie/ its an event by irish sailing association to encourage sailing and other boating activities, it is on this weekend and some of the events require pre-booking but no harm in having a look and see can you get out on the water somewhere this weekend, some charge a nominal fee some are free. I went last year and enjoyed, for various reasons didn't get following up on getting into sailing but is still a plan of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The only way you'll find out what you like is to try it. Sailing is great fun and has many different aspects to it. It's always good to do a dinghy course because you'll get a feel for it and learn to basically sail by the seat of your pants. In terms of what to do first, I'd say unless you're going to buy a power boat immediately, give the sailing a shot. Be aware though, it takes a little bit of time and practice to get to a stage where you can go out by yourself, but the journey to being competent is as fun as the destination if you don't go into it thinking you'll be across the Atlantic within a year, if you know what I mean. Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask loads of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Thanks so much guys :)
    I had a look at Sailspree and there are events on in my local club so definitely heading there this Sunday and then on to a nearby club on Monday!!
    Can't wait! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

id go for a good little seaboat like an orkney longliner or something similar that can handle a bit of a choppy sea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement