Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I mixed up Allspice and Mixed Spice...

Options
  • 02-05-2014 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I am making a steak and kidney pudding for the first time, and I stupidly used a teaspoon of mixed spice instead of allspice. I have no allspice and my brain completely switched off... I KNOW they are not the same thing. Is there anything I can add to detract from the flavour? I know it isn't the end of the world, but just this once I was planning on following the recipe properly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

The good news is that there is often allspice in a mixed spice. I think you'll be fine to be honest, if it's only a teaspoon. Is there Guinness or red wine or anything in the sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Yeah, I saw that in the list of ingredients, but there is ginger, caraway, nutmeg coriander and cumin too. The actual pudding recipe has bay leaves, rosemary and nutmeg. No Guinness or wine, just stock and worcester sauce.

Honestly, I think bay, rosemary, nutmeg and worcester are going to hide any over-sweetness or out of place flavours from the mixed spice. It's much milder than plain allspice would be. Best thing to do I think would be to just go ahead, make the filling all the way to the end of the recipe and taste it before you put it into the pastry case. If it's still a little sweet, try a good dose of fresh ground black pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

With the boyfriend hanging around the kitchen, the black pepper is inevitable. He is obsessed with the stuff! Thanks for the advice. The house just smells like my ma's tea brack so I was afraid of the sweetness.

If it's still a bit sweet later, try a splash of fish sauce or extra Worcester. They're funky tasting so should hide a multitude. Kidney is a strong flavour by itself anyway, more than capable of taking on some piddling ginger :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I once made black bean burgers with my brain switched off. Grabbed the ground cloves instead of the cumin.

We got takeaway for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For most of my life i thought allspice was mixed spice.
    I use allspice quite a lot in recent years. Lovely spice.

Advertisement