Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making chips in the oven?

Options
  • 02-05-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I want to make home-made chips in the oven.
    I've got rooster potatoes, I've got oil and salt and lots of time.
    I want them crisp, not soggy.

Oh and I've got a Tefal Actifry but the chips don't usually taste great in that.
    Help me out people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

My personal method is to cut the roosters into chips, parboil them for five mins while the oil is getting hot in the oven (very important), drain them and let them dry off a bit, then put them in the oily tray, shake them around and put them in the oven for about a half hour. I would probably shuffle them around twice during this time so the oil coats them. When they are done, pat with kitchen towel and cover in salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What I do wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, but I essentially make chip-shaped roast potatoes.

I line a baking tray with olive oil and add two teaspoons of goose fat and heat that in the oven at 170C for about 5 mins. I sprinkle some dried rosemary and sage in the oil and then toss the chip cut potatoes in the oil to cover them all, then carefully space them out so there's a small gap between each chip and roast for about 30 mins. I take them out, flip them all and cook for another 15 minutes. I remove and toss them in some kitchen towel to remove the excess oil and serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

What I do wouldn't be to everyone's tastes, but I essentially make chip-shaped roast potatoes.

I line a baking tray with olive oil and add two teaspoons of goose fat and heat that in the oven at 170C for about 5 mins. I sprinkle some dried rosemary and sage in the oil and then toss the chip cut potatoes in the oil to cover them all, then carefully space them out so there's a small gap between each chip and roast for about 30 mins. I take them out, flip them all and cook for another 15 minutes. I remove and toss them in some kitchen towel to remove the excess oil and serve.

I do something similar but i par boil them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I made them.

I parboiled the chips, but I think I left them on a bit too long cos when I drained them, some looked mushy.
    I heated up some oil on a tray and added the chips to it.
    I shook them around now and again and although they were a lovely colour, they were all in bits and pieces. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes you probably parboiled them too much ( I just do this in the microwave for 2 minutes).

Also don't turn them until one side is crispy or they will break up, plus a good sprinkle of table salt while baking is needed to make them crispy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

If you can get Maris Piper potatoes they are so good for chips and roasting. They cook even better than roosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ranchu wrote: »
    I do something similar but i par boil them first.

I would only parboil actual roast potatoes. The chips are small enough that they cook through. If I parboiled them, I would have to cook them for less time and they wouldn't be as crunchy. Just my personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We heat the tray in a fan oven at 220 and parboil the chips in the microwave for 3 minutes, take them out, pat them dry on and kitchen roll and toss them in a small amount of oil(usually a little sesame and vegetable). We then cook them for 25/30 minutes, keeping an eye on them and turning them occasionally. Haven't had it fail yet. Now if only I could master oven sweet potato chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Deep fat fryer is your only man for chips, you are only codding yourself if you 4hink you can get same results in an oven

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Deep fat fryer is your only man for chips, you are only codding yourself if you 4hink you can get same results in an oven

I don't have a deep fat fryer which is why I asked about making oven chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

OK...

here goes... cut into thick chips... wash, until clean

Boil until nearly potato soup..... then leave to dry.... br brave and shake in the strainer...

Cooking oil ... at 180C...... immerse... allow to just go crisp, not quite golden brown... take out and allow to cool.

When ready... heat oil to 220... immerse chips until golden brown... and serve......... if you want to be really fancy...... ligtly spray with vinegar... vinegar to taste I use goof old Malt...

lovely and crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside..

If you're thinking of oven... Goose fat. in a dish... and be careful with temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I did my first 2 stage DFF the other day but the guide I followed said 160 for 6-7 minutes and 190 for a minute or so till golden brown and crispy. Turned out perfect IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I make these the same way i make 'wedges' :)

sometimes I use whites potatoes and give the skins a good scrub but leave the skins on for rustic chips...

A little sprinkle of paprika and garlic salt and into the preheated oil or goosefat like above posts.

I think the trick is to whack the heat right up for the last 5 or so mins to crisp them bad boys and they seem to be nicer if they are in a single layer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Calibos wrote: »
    I did my first 2 stage DFF the other day but the guide I followed said 160 for 6-7 minutes and 190 for a minute or so till golden brown and crispy. Turned out perfect IMHO.

Yeah that method rocks! I did up a whole batch at one stage and froze the partically cooked chips. Faster and nicer than any store bought frozen chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

squonk wrote: »
    Yeah that method rocks! I did up a whole batch at one stage and froze the partically cooked chips. Faster and nicer than any store bought frozen chips!
    It really suited us. As I mentioned in another thread I am feeding myself and 6 other adults 7 days a week 365 excluding a takeaway a week. When we're having chips with something its a 2 basket job in a 3L Deep Fat Fryer. First batch would go in the oven till the second were done. Depending on timing, the first batch would come out of the oven even limper than normal from their own steam or if left in the oven a little too long they'd come out dry. Neither ideal. Big difference between the consistency of the first and second batches.

With this method requiring some cooling between cooking stages it actually works out much handier. Second batch cooks at 160ºC while first batch cools in a tray on the counter. First batch crisps off for 1-2 minutes at 190º while second batch cools a bit. Although second batch doesn't get to cool for as long as first between stages, once the batches are mixed back together in the tray they are quite consistent.

Advertisement