Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive landlord now ex landlord calls workplace

Options
  • 02-05-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Ok guys bit of a long one so please bear with me.
    Rented a house for 2 and a half years treated it like my own place was a wreck and got wooden floors new curtins,blinds the works all over the house no issue after signing the lease with the letting agent payed my rent always and so on.

So fast forward 6 months ago tried to get in contact with the letting agent and landlord about the boiler it was knackard and had being on the way out for a long time. It had never even being so much as serviced.
    So no reply from the land lord after Afew days of no heating ect and no hot water I decided to have it repaired. No issue there.

Now fast forward till 6 weeks ago landlord turns up at the door with her husband and demands I let them I I say excuse me who are you and I've never had any interdiction before with then they say who they are and straight away go on a crazy aggressive rant. Saying I missed my rent date which I was unaware of for one reason or another. Never happened in the two and a half years previous.
    So without further ado the man says I would of being over hear two weeks ago and had u ****ed out on your ear. All the while my little boy is standing at the door. So his wife starts then I'm giving u 14 days notice verbal to vacate the premises and I quote" we will be over to forcefully remove you. So without further ado we find a new place with my fiancée and begin to move the stuff. Clean the house and leave the keys in the house I never wana meet this aggrisve man again. No issues there I tough well they have my deposit so that will cover there loss.

So the kept ringing and calling and treating me over the phone so I block there number until last week I'm inwork. Get called into the highest boss where I work and there after ringing him I explained the situation and he said look you don't have to tell me it's personal it's nothing to do with me or your work. Grand as I tought.
    Last night I wasn't home door bell rings my fiancée answered the door and there they are again and claiming we owe them thousands to say I'm fuming is a understatement.
    When asked where they got the address the said off the Garda so a quick call to them clearly stated they don't give that info and any way they wouldn't have the address. So the only think I can think of is the insurance company sent a letter with me requesting my change of address to the old house meaning the ex landlord opened my post.

Guys I've rang the ptrb and threshold what can I do in the mean time I don't want him near us. I don't think it's fair he's looking for n e thing n e way PLEASE HELP ME OUT PLEASE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Why are they claiming that you owe them thousands? You seem to have improved the condition of the house while living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

housetypeb wrote: »
    Why are they claiming that you owe them thousands? You seem to have improved the condition of the house while living there.

There claiming the boiler is messed up. It was never ever serviced since day it was commissioned. Might have improved it greatly then now there trying to say they didn't evict me it was a warming and I owe them the rent. The money isn't the issue I have the answers for that. It's the ringing my work place making me sound something I'm not. Turning up at the front door being aggressive opening post

Someone must have some advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If they're harassing you, call the police.

Keep a diary with dates and times of every incident.

Start a dispute with the prtb for illegal eviction.

Make sure you don't owe them money. Check bank statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Oh and if they opened a letter and got your address from that, ring the police. They cannot open your post, much less use the information in it to harass you.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

If they are threatening you or harassing you then you could report it to the police. Make a note of what was said, day, date, time it was said and make a statement, outlining that you are afraid.
    Make sure you have your facts straight and play it by the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I don't want to doubt you but I think it would be extremely unusual for a landlord to behave like that even if you had been the tenant from hell, which I'm sure weren't. How did you pay the rent and who did you pay it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

housetypeb wrote: »

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057151716/2/#post89082646

Maybe he made a mess of the boiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

How do you pay the rent to directly? The letting agent or the landlord? If it is the letting agent I would ask them WTF is going on. Are you sure this is even the landlord? I know it sounds incredibly stupid, but I dont think any LL of sound mind would act in that manner. For the work you have done on the house. Sorry to sound so disrespectful, but so what. Its not your house and you should never change a thing in the house without the landlords permission

The PRTB will take forever to deal with. So unless you can resolve this issue with the LL now, I would start looking for a new place to live. If you are paying the rent to the letting agent. I would check that they arent keeping it from the LL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

It says no " issue there" in the opening post,so assumed he fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Call the police is the only thing. Bring a case against them in the prtb for illegal eviction due to physical threats. I would go as far as getting a restraining order

This is not a slight infraction or bending of rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Did you rent through an agency? If so contact them and tell them your story. Also could you contact the Gardai and say that these people are making you feel threaten in you home and you fear for your safety. They might have a word and tell them not to visit your home again.

Just one thing did you have their permission to make the changes to the property? I know what you did adds to the value to the property but are they using the changes as a excuse to get money out of you to "revert the place back to the way it was when you rented". I have heard of people having hassle when they did changes without the landlord's permission.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Did you rent through an agency? If so contact them and tell them your story. Also could you contact the Gardai and say that these people are making you feel threaten in you home and you fear for your safety. They might have a word and tell them not to visit your home again.

Just one thing did you have their permission to make the changes to the property? I know what you did adds to the value to the property but are they using the changes as a excuse to get money out of you to "revert the place back to the way it was when you rented". I have heard of people having hassle when they did changes without the landlord's permission.

Any changes I made was lay carpet on floors with carpet that was torn pained the walls because the land lord wouldn't do it. I even left a sofa I bought brand new there as I didn't have time to take it. Rent was lodge directly to the bank account. Next I took the letting through a agent. But the agent doesn't seem to be involved there doing this on the own back. And what about calling my work place what can I do. I've started the process with the ptrb and they had to open my post to get the new address how the else would they get it. Secondly are the wrong how they evicted me. Personally I just wanted to walk away I was willing to let them keep my deposit and all which they did but there looking for more. Should I ring them and tell them what I'm doing otherwise he's gona turn up at the door looking for cash again and I don't have it if I'm honest. I've a wedding to save for regardless the fact I lost my deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

burke027 wrote: »
    Any changes I made was lay carpet on floors with carpet that was torn pained the walls because the land lord wouldn't do it. I even left a sofa I bought brand new there as I didn't have time to take it. Rent was lodge directly to the bank account. Next I took the letting through a agent. But the agent doesn't seem to be involved there doing this on the own back. And what about calling my work place what can I do. I've started the process with the ptrb and they had to open my post to get the new address how the else would they get it. Secondly are the wrong how they evicted me. Personally I just wanted to walk away I was willing to let them keep my deposit and all which they did but there looking for more. Should I ring them and tell them what I'm doing otherwise he's gona turn up at the door looking for cash again and I don't have it if I'm honest. I've a wedding to save for regardless the fact I lost my deposit

What about the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Important question. Did you offset the costs of these improvements against the rent? As in did you take the cost of the boiler fix/carpets/sofa out of the rent owed?

I hate to say it but regardless of what state the carpet etc was in you should have got permission to replace it. The items were the belongings of the landlord and you did not have their permission to dispose of the old stuff. I am guessing this is what they are using as the bases of demanding money rather than the unpaid rent.

In regards to your work place explain to your boss the circumstances and ask could they send a letter asking them to stop using there phone number to contact their staff on matters no related to the company.

Oh and ask them to send it via the letting company as they are the ones you had the contract with day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

emeldc wrote: »
    I don't want to doubt you but I think it would be extremely unusual for a landlord to behave like that even if you had been the tenant from hell, which I'm sure weren't. How did you pay the rent and who did you pay it too.

Nothing would surprise me about Landlords in Ireland. Down over the years I've heard and seen things like this happen. No regard for the law and no knowledge of the law either it appears. (Just to be fair There are tenants out there just as bad.)

I'm just saying that we give someone the benefit of the doubt when they're coming on boards looking for advice. they've nothing to gain by exaggerating a story.

Eldarion wrote: »
    Important question. Did you offset the costs of these improvements against the rent? As in did you take the cost of the boiler fix/carpets/sofa out of the rent owed?

I didn't offset any price off the rent paid all out of my own pocket. I transformed the house I'm a tenant with the highest regard for my home

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I didn't offset any price off the rent paid all out of my own pocket. I transformed the house I'm a tenant with the highest regard for my home

Didn't mean to imply anything, you do sound like a wonderful tenant to have. Can you think of any reason why the LL would think he/she is owed thousands? I'm getting an inkling this might all be related to the boiler, but to be fair if the LL wasn't taking enough care to get it serviced yearly then it's his/her own fault.

OP, why did you agree to rent a house that was a 'wreck'. Your idea of a transformation might be the LL idea of a wreck. I'm sorry to have a go but this just doesn't sound right to me.

OP, why did you agree to rent a house that was a 'wreck'. Your idea of a transformation might be the LL idea of a wreck. I'm sorry to have a go but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry to make it clearer. The house hadn't had anything done to it in years the landlord had know intrest In the house I take pride in my house. I picked the house as it had a garage which I needed. The landlord or should I say owner hasn't ever had the boiler serviced.
    Just another point I rented the house through a letting agent has this know bearing on the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Sorry to make it clearer. The house hadn't had anything done to it in years the landlord had know intrest In the house I take pride in my house. I picked the house as it had a garage which I needed. The landlord or should I say owner hasn't ever had the boiler serviced.
    Just another point I rented the house through a letting agent has this know bearing on the situation

Thats hardly your fault they are not keeping the boiler serviced.
    Did the plumber you got to service the boiler get it working or make it worse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It might be unusual but there are as many bad landlords as bad tenants. Some landlords have absolutely no idea of the restrictions put on them by legislation. The PRTB takes fees from good landlords but do nothing about the bad ones

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

Need clarification on what permission was sought/granted to make changes (even if they were improvements) to the property. Tenants can't just replace what they perceive to be grotty goods with new ones without permission from the landlord/owner. Worst case scenario, the landlord could claim the old stuff (e.g. sofa) was a family heirloom/had sentimental value. [Not saying that's actually the case here.]

thimble wrote: »
    Need clarification on what permission was sought/granted to make changes (even if they were improvements) to the property. Tenants can't just replace what they perceive to be grotty goods with new ones without permission from the landlord/owner. Worst case scenario, the landlord could claim the old stuff (e.g. sofa) was a family heirloom/had sentimental value. [Not saying that's actually the case here.]

Clarification is that all the old and grotty stuff had being kept which made the house very cluttered was told I could paint yes. Getting the wooden floors layed I did on my own back for the highgen of the house. If u seen the carpets you would know. I suffer with my chest as do the kids. So I take responsibility for that. The issue is with what the land lord is doing harassing and calling my work so can u give help with that please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If you threw out all the stuff and ripped up the floors without permission then this is essentially criminal damage. If you pay for the damage he will stop calling you. If you don't pay him he might sue you, or there might be criminal charges for vandalism.

Clarification is that all the old and grotty stuff had being kept which made the house very cluttered was told I could paint yes. Getting the wooden floors layed I did on my own back for the highgen of the house. If u seen the carpets you would know. I suffer with my chest as do the kids. So I take responsibility for that. The issue is with what the land lord is doing harassing and calling my work so can u give help with that please

If you have done nothing wrong, the only thing you can do is call the guards. Forget the PRTB. They're a waste of space. That's it IMO.

The carpets were not yours to remove I am afraid. When you rent a house it is as in the state it is in and to make changes you need to get the owners permission.
    You might view the change of flooring as a good thing where as the house owner might see the change of flooring you paid for is destorying the carpet that in his or she's eyes is the most beautiful carpet in the world. The difference is they owned that carpet and not you.

(I do think your landlord behaviour is out of order but I think you need to see all things in this situation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I wonder is the landlord tax compliant, sneaky but him contacting your work is underhanded - plus you need to be a good citizen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

You never met the landlord in 2 years of renting the house, and when you moved in it was a kip... Man if I was you I'd have left long before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has the landlord shown you proof of ownership of the house yet? So far, it seems you rented the house from a letting agent, and thus I would like to know how you've confirmed the people harassing you are the owners. For all you know, the house was taken off them by the bank, and they're trying to pull a sly one to get free money.

Advertisement