Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive landlord now ex landlord calls workplace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd also be getting in touch with the company that sent mail to your previous address with your new address on it. I've moved house a total of 5 times as an adult and I have never, ever, EVER had post sent to a previous address with my new address on it. They send the post to my NEW address confirming they have the right one.

Why on earth would a company of any description confirm your new living arrangements by writing to your old address?

That, coupled with the fact that previous posts seem to indicate that you did not "have" the boiler repaired, rather you attempted to do it yourself. Regardless of how much knowledge you think you have, tinkering with an expensive piece of equipment like that (nomatter how little it was serviced before) was not your call to make, and the landlord/owner of the house could very well claim that it was working fine before your alterations to it. Maybe that's why he is fuming. I know if I tinkered with an item worth hundreds or even thousands of euros that didn't belong to me, I'd expect the owner of the item to be pretty pissed off, especially if it stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Are you registered to allow you touch the gas boiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Are you registered to allow you touch the gas boiler?
    I put my hand on my gas boiler earlier while filling the washing machine. Do I need to register that?

No Pants wrote: »
    I put my hand on my gas boiler earlier while filling the washing machine. Do I need to register that?

Clearly if that is all he did he has no issue. But on the thread I linked earlier he did a lot more than that. In his second post on this thread he confirms there is an issue with the boiler so it needs to be clarified as to what he did to the boiler and was he qualified under the law to carry out this action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you threw out all the stuff and ripped up the floors without permission then this is essentially criminal damage. If you pay for the damage he will stop calling you. If you don't pay him he might sue you, or there might be criminal charges for vandalism.

Criminal charges for putting down a floor? Don't be ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I get the impression the landlord class is in today. The real criminal issues here are harassment. If the boiler wasn't working then the landlord was duty bound to fix it - that's what providing a service means.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I get the impression the landlord class is in today. The real criminal issues here are harassment. If the boiler wasn't working then the landlord was duty bound to fix it - that's what providing a service means.

Guys the boilers is working now it was broke before yes I fixed it that's not the issue the fact I have is I rented the house through a letting agent. I never renewed the lease after 12 months and I was there 2 and half years. Yes I lay floors and did Afew bits but that's up to them to prove I did all that. I did it for the benifit of the house. Wen I say it was a kid when I moved in I just mean the landlord had no intrest in the house ever. So I had no contact with the letting agent or the landlords until this. I'm sorry I did the work but I like to have a nice home and guess what I'm sure landlords would live to have a tenant like me that doesn't call them for every little thing. The issue I have is the harassment and calling to my new house with behaviour that's out of line and then calling my work. I've being on to the ptrb don't know how long that will take. But I need something in place now to stop them doing what there doing ringing work is surely deformation of character would it be? And then the harassment so in a nut shell what should I do today so he knows he's outa line and to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

burke027 wrote: »
    Guys the boilers is working now it was broke before yes I fixed it that's not the issue the fact I have is I rented the house through a letting agent. I never renewed the lease after 12 months and I was there 2 and half years. Yes I lay floors and did Afew bits but that's up to them to prove I did all that. I did it for the benifit of the house. Wen I say it was a kid when I moved in I just mean the landlord had no intrest in the house ever. So I had no contact with the letting agent or the landlords until this. I'm sorry I did the work but I like to have a nice home and guess what I'm sure landlords would live to have a tenant like me that doesn't call them for every little thing. The issue I have is the harassment and calling to my new house with behaviour that's out of line and then calling my work. I've being on to the ptrb don't know how long that will take. But I need something in place now to stop them doing what there doing ringing work is surely deformation of character would it be? And then the harassment so in a nut shell what should I do today so he knows he's outa line and to stop
    Go to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont get the highlighted bit?

Really, you would need to have written confirmation its acceptable to dispose of or make changes to the property, if you didnt that could be seen as the same as having no permission, even if it was given verbally.
    If the changes were real improvements and the items removed had no value and assuming the work was done to a good standard then it may be considered acceptable, if the work was shoddy and needed to be redone to re let then I can see how they might be chasing you for money.

According to the link provided, you really should not have gone near the boiler, if that went wrong and ended up causing other problems, that could run into a lot of money for the owner landlord or worse problems. It did seem like you were urgent to repair the problem from the link and no suggestion a landlord was involved, I can understand your eagerness to carry out simple repairs but some are just not allowed and its not worth the hassle. In that case you should have gotten onto the agent or landlord to repair it and looked up your rights regarding it if they didnt. I appreciate thats not always as simple as that in reality as you need a place to live and this seems suitable for other reasons, changing is a hassle and these problems will occur from time to time is not necessarily a reason to leave. But tenants have to comply with their obligations as much as landlords.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont get the highlighted bit?

Really, you would need to have written confirmation its acceptable to dispose of or make changes to the property, if you didnt that could be seen as the same as having no permission, even if it was given verbally.
    If the changes were real improvements and the items removed had no value and assuming the work was done to a good standard then it may be considered acceptable, if the work was shoddy and needed to be redone to re let then I can see how they might be chasing you for money.

According to the link provided, you really should not have gone near the boiler, if that went wrong and ended up causing other problems, that could run into a lot of money for the owner landlord or worse problems. It did seem like you were urgent to repair the problem from the link and no suggestion a landlord was involved, I can understand your eagerness to carry out simple repairs but some are just not allowed and its not worth the hassle. In that case you should have gotten onto the agent or landlord to repair it and looked up your rights regarding it if they didnt. I appreciate thats not always as simple as that in reality as you need a place to live and this seems suitable for other reasons, changing is a hassle and these problems will occur from time to time is not necessarily a reason to leave. But tenants have to comply with their obligations as much as landlords.

The highlighted bit should read.
    When I say the place was a kip it mean the landlord just had no intrest in the property or putting money into the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

So did you ring the guards yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Guys the boilers is working now it was broke before yes I fixed it that's not the issue
    As the law is very exact on gas boilers, it could be that the LL is facing a large fine for not having a RGI installer look at the boiler. Next time the landlord (?) calls over, ask for an itemised bill, so you know exactly what they are claiming you have broken.

http://www.rgii.ie/_fileupload/castlerock.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP
    You are in trouble here. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on what you did you didn't have permission. Cheap flooring put down would make me very angry as a LL. That is with it done correctly and to good standard. It doesn't last and is costly to correct. So yes you could owe a lot of money on that alone.

You also have rendered the boiler a potential hazard which now requires investigation. Making something work doesn't mean it is now safer or that you haven't damaged it permanently requiring a full replacement.

By all means contact the guards and keep yourself safe but you could very well be liable for a considerable amount of money. It makes his anger a little more understanding but not excusable

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP
    You are in trouble here. It doesn't matter what your opinion is on what you did you didn't have permission. Cheap flooring put down would make me very angry as a LL. That is with it done correctly and to good standard. It doesn't last and is costly to correct. So yes you could owe a lot of money on that alone.

You also have rendered the boiler a potential hazard which now requires investigation. Making something work doesn't mean it is now safer or that you haven't damaged it permanently requiring a full replacement.

By all means contact the guards and keep yourself safe but you could very well be liable for a considerable amount of money. It makes his anger a little more understanding but not excusable

So by listening to my posts on boards you know I've layed cheap flooring and wrong. So there but it's expensive and was layed by a professional. After that I'm very sorry that the landlord had no intrest in spending money to update the house. But it was my family's home and I did. In my eyes and every family members eyes I transformed the house

So by listening to my posts on boards you know I've layed cheap flooring and wrong. So there but it's expensive and was layed by a professional. After that I'm very sorry that the landlord had no intrest in spending money to update the house. But it was my family's home and I did. In my eyes and every family members eyes I transformed the house

Transformed it into a potential death trap if there is an issue with the boiler

Transformed it into a potential death trap if there is an issue with the boiler

If there is I didn't do it simple. What about the landlords obligation to have it serviced that never happened. So basically I'm wrong is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Surely the first problem here (chronologically speaking) is that the landlord didn't have the boiler serviced regularly. Gas Boilers should be serviced annually. That's the landlord's responsibility under the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008. It must be done by a registered installer (RGI), who issues a certificate. No cerificate for the duration of the OP's tenancy, the landlord is firmly in the wrong. Pointing this out would be one way to respond to any future threats.

However, sympathetic as I am to the situation the OP found and finds himself in, he really should have sought permission, or at least sent notification, for making changes to the property and especially the boiler - the latter of which puts the landlord in a difficult H&S position.

This need to seek permission is one essential difference between a lease/rental and a mortgaged home, in this state at least. In this regard the OP has made a mistake, however well-intentioned.

There is however absolutely no excuse for the described behaviour from a landlord who must know he's screwed up with respect to the condition and maintenance of the property and the attention paid to what is, after all, his business. If the landlord feels he has a legitimate beef he should pursue it legally, and not by harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

..... I even left a sofa I bought brand new there as I didn't have time to take it. .... I've a wedding to save for regardless the fact I lost my deposit
    Could you not have sold the sofa instead of leaving it for the landlord to dispose of?

Even if it was new, it's still your junk

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Call the guards if the ex landlord comes near you. Simple.
    All the rest is legal issue and the only thing you can do is wait and see if you are served with legal papers.
    Unfortunately if you rent, you cannot just do the place up, even if landlord is AWOL... There is correct and due process and ways to go about it.

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    Could you not have sold the sofa instead of leaving it for the landlord to dispose of?

Even if it was new, it's still your junk

I had every intention of taking it as I said I was illigally evicted

Tordelback wrote: »
    Surely the first problem here (chronologically speaking) is that the landlord didn't have the boiler serviced regularly. Gas Boilers should be serviced annually. That's the landlord's responsibility under the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008. It must be done by a registered installer (RGI), who issues a certificate. No cerificate for the duration of the OP's tenancy, the landlord is firmly in the wrong. Pointing this out would be one way to respond to any future threats.

However, sympathetic as I am to the situation the OP found and finds himself in, he really should have sought permission, or at least sent notification, for making changes to the property and especially the boiler - the latter of which puts the landlord in a difficult H&S position.

This need to seek permission is one essential difference between a lease/rental and a mortgaged home, in this state at least. In this regard the OP has made a mistake, however well-intentioned.

There is however absolutely no excuse for the described behaviour from a landlord who must know he's screwed up with respect to the condition and maintenance of the property and the attention paid to what is, after all, his business. If the landlord feels he has a legitimate beef he should pursue it legally, and not by harassment.

This is good advice thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

dharma200 wrote: »
    Call the guards if the ex landlord comes near you. Simple.

See post # 4,6,11,12,27,42 and 51 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Criminal charges for putting down a floor? Don't be ridiculous.

Putting down the floor is fine, tearing up the previous one is the issue.. But the landlord is obviously mental! If he ****ed up something fine, but I can't think of any landlord that would go mad over you actual fixing their house for them, especially if you paid... He got a house done up and it didn't cost him a cent.. Sounds to me like he's just looking to cause hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Hi OP,

If you can you should call into Citizens Information and they can go through the rights and obligations of both you landlord and yourself. If you can't call in, phone in, they can post you out all the information and booklets you need.

Below is some basic information, your landlord should not be contacting your workplace and most definitely should not be threatening you - this is a criminal offence. You need to record and date all interactions you have so far, just in case you end up at the Private Residential Tenancies Board. A record of dates and facts are always helpful; When did it happen, date and time; Who was there; Why did they claim to be there; What happened; How did it make you feel. Stick to facts, don't make it overly emotive.

It someone is threatening you, you should phone the gardai, it is unlikely they will do very much but warn your landlord, but you will have a garda record of the event happening to present to any adjudicating body.

I think it you should look up sections 10 and 11 of the Non Fatal Offences Act 1997, it deal with harassement and payment of debt - the Gardai may charge your ex landlord with these offences if he does not heed their warning. You have to contact the Gardai every time your exlandlord harasses you, again the Gardai cant help you if you dont inform them each and every time.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

and

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html

Advertisement