Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for lawn cut.

• 02-05-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've recently moved into a new house with a large lawn at the front and side of the house.There is a guy who came twice a month to mow it for the previous owners.It takes him about 30-40 mins on the ride on to get it all cut.He quoted me 50 euro for each mow and said would also keep the garden tidy.It still seems steep though.I would like to pay a base price for the cut and then negotiate a price for other work like tree cuting etc.Any ideas on what is a reasonable price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

That is a very reasonable price if he is a legitimate business and has adequate insurance, pays his taxes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

€50 is on the high side of ok, but ok all the same, he probably has a minimum rate for small jobs otherwise travelling etc. to small jobs can eat up a chunk of the day and limit the hours worked.

Whereabouts are you, that could influence the price too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

If it takes him 30 - 40 min on a ride on it will take you 3 hours with an ordinary one . Now is 3 hours of your time worth 50E + petrol & maintenance of the machine

Not necessarily 3 hours with walk behind they aren't that much slower, and if there are lots of turns and short runs then the walk behind will be just as quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It all depends on where you are, where he is relative to you, whether he collects and removes the cuttings, and so on.
    Tree cutting will cost significantly more if he's insured.

• Advertisement

It all depends on where you are, where he is relative to you, whether he collects and removes the cuttings, and so on.
    Tree cutting will cost significantly more if he's insured.

Pretty much the same as what I said. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not necessarily 3 hours with walk behind they aren't that much slower, and if there are lots of turns and short runs then the walk behind will be just as quick.

i would love to see you keep up with my kubota with a 5ft deck and 20x times the collector capacity cuttin grass that only gets cut every two weeks.

1600 litre grass box that's impressive.

You know what I mean, most gardens can't take a 5' cutting deck anyway and if you have to go round obstacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

That is what I pay and it takes him around the same time (maybe five mins longer). I thought it was steep at first but he has valid insurance (I check regularly), takes away the grass and comes without me chasing him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sinmari

I live in a rural area in the midlands.The guy does a few neighbours lawns in his spare time.He can come to the house on the mower.It is that close.He hasn't done any extra gardening in the last few weeks and I just handed him 100 euro for what amounts to one hour of work.Like Miaireland said I like that he is relaible but it still hurts a bit handing over the money.I would have to work over five hours for that and still be taxed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Personally I think he is way overpaid if he is a neighbour and not a professional contractor with all the related costs. Even if he is, €50 for a 40 minute job with only petrol costs is a lot. I do a bit of garden maintenance and if I was that near to the OP I would do it for €30 if the job was weekly/regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Guy does my lawn on a ride on. Usually takes him 45 minutes every two weeks. Takes grass away and strims the verges etc and does a good job. Max hes on site is one hour. It would take me at least two and a half hours to mow with self propelled mower. 25 Euro is what ive agreed with him. I think at the start he wanted about 40 Euro but too steep for me.

He'll go bust soon, won't be enough to cover his overheads.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    He'll go bust soon, won't be enough to cover his overheads.

Is it because they are using a ride on its expensive. I have a lawn that takes me an hour with a rover 20 inch self propelled push mower. how much would I expect to pay for that?

Is it because they are using a ride on its expensive. I have a lawn that takes me an hour with a rover 20 inch self propelled push mower. how much would I expect to pay for that?

€20-€40 with either self propelled or ride on.

Guys round my way charge minimum €40 for even a postage stamp sized lawn, their argument is it wouldn't be worth their bother for less.

The ride on just makes it quicker in some cases for the operator although if it isn't a square very large lawn then a walk behind would be quicker. I have lawns that the homeowner used to to take 4 hours with walk behind and I can do in 1.5-2 hours with my walk behind, equipment and efficient technique makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Not all gardens ar ethe same size. I don't know how anybody could suggest a price for a job withut seeing it , you wouldn't have a builder just picing a firgure out of the sky to build a house

solargain wrote: »
    Not all gardens ar ethe same size. I don't know how anybody could suggest a price for a job withut seeing it , you wouldn't have a builder just picing a firgure out of the sky to build a house

In all fairness €20 - €40 euro is a wide range and I was only looking for a rough idea. I understand lawns might have slopes or lots of shrubs. Mine for example has 3 different sections,

solargain wrote: »

Correct, they aren't all the same size, however, suresanders was merely asking based on a garden that takes roughly one hour roughly what the cost would be, that is why I gave a price range. Similarly if you said to a builder how much for a 2000 sq foot house they would be able to quote standard sq foot prices but obviously like anything they would need to see the plans, same as a gardener would need to see the lawn to give a final price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

In midlands also. Garden is probably 3/4 acre of grass. Charged 50 by a contractor who has to drive about 16km to get to me. I think 50 is fair in this case and he does a good job to tide me over until I get my own ride on delivered.

Friend gets his done for 25 euro by a neighbour when he is doing his own for same size garden in north roscommon which is a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

sounds about right to me, I have a similar size I should think is 1/3 of an acre and my neighbour spends the same amount of time for 25 Euros. Does not tidy up or do anythingother than cut and pileit high.

Advertisement