Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out if my CPU is ok?

Options
  • 02-05-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

An acquaintance with more money than sense recently put an i7-3930K in an incompatible motherboard. "It blew the mobo" is as much information I could get out of him to what exactly happened.

I'm after getting the CPU off of him for next to nothing on the basis I don’t know if its ok or not.

When something like this happens is it usually just the motherboard that get fried or the CPU or is it both?

I'm really hoping to put this in a new build but I'm reluctant to buy a new motherboard until I know its ok.

Ive asked 3 shops in Cork city could they test it and they all say they dont have a Socket 2011 to try. I have an ad on adverts too

Any suggestions or ideas on how to find out it its ok?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I'm not exactly technical but I would suggest buying the cheapest board you can find that supports the CPU, second hand even, and try it in that. A faulty chip might break a board you try it in, a faulty board might break the chip...I honestly have no idea...

Buying a second hand motherboard that supports an I7 for very little money might be the safest option?

Only thing I came across is that you *can* test a CPU in a functional motherboard because it apparently doesn't POST since nothing can process it, but they don't suggest testing a board out on a functional CPU.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703885

Advertisement