Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out - on the dole

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I lost my job last year and won an unfair dismissal case. I don't have a reference. I have been on illness benefit since. I moved back into my parents house but i need to leave them be.

I imagine landlords want working tenants so I'm not sure what to say to them.
    I can either tell the truth, or say I am working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

that depends on the area, we rent out a house in the town we live in and our current tenant is a single mum who is a stay at home mum, she is one of the best tenants we have had since the house was bought in 2001, be honest and I hope you find something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

How are you going to pay the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tax payer money will pay the rent I would guess.

Rent allowance.

Also op if you say your working which you aren't as you have said the LL will have to be asked to fill in forms for you to recieve rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Rent allowance.

Which the gentleman above would have contributed to whilst working.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Which the gentleman above would have contributed to whilst working.

Thinking like this is a huge burden on this small island.

I pay my tax and work but get no help with my rent and can honestly say with all the tax hikes, levies, new taxes and all the other cuts I and others have taken I think times have to change but thats my opinion and I fully understand people lose their jobs and run into tuff times but the op has said they have a roof over their head but want to get out but are not working so the money for rent would be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rent allowance.

Also op if you say your working which you aren't as you have said the LL will have to be asked to fill in forms for you to recieve rent allowance.

You need to be renting privately for six months to get rent allowance though?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

athtrasna wrote: »

That's correct and consider the serious lack of properties available that landlords will accept RA,particularly one beds its a tricky time to move out on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I pay my tax and work but get no help with my rent and can honestly say with all the tax hikes, levies, new taxes and all the other cuts I and others have taken I think times have to change but thats my opinion and I fully understand people lose their jobs and run into tuff times but the op has said they have a roof over their head but want to get out but are not working so the money for rent would be a problem.

He's on the dole while he looks for a job, so what if he gets rent allowance. Better than the lazy bastards who refuse to even look

I'd imagine if he had to move back with his parents he was renting beforehand

To answer some of your questions:

If you say you're working, they'll make you prove it.

Get your parents to do you a reference, worked for me first time I rented

I know you want out of your parents house, but you'd be better waiting till you had a job you'd get a much better house, how will you pay the deposit and things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd imagine if he had to move back with his parents he was renting beforehand

Doesn't count for RA applications as far as I know - if you're not currently renting (and not on the housing list either) you can't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When did the state replace families?

murphaph wrote: »
    When people started considering their independence more and how they were going to fund it less.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He's on the dole while he looks for a job, so what if he gets rent allowance. Better than the lazy bastards who refuse to even look

No he is on illness benefit and hence unable to work

• Registered Users Posts: 40 maca123

The money I received from the unfair dismissal case is going to pay the rent. I would still be paying taxes had i not being forced out of my job too.
    I'm on illness benefit, not disability allowance so it's not permanent. I'm looking to get better after what I've being though, going to college for years, getting a degree to get a job i was wrongly forced out without a reference after years of hard work. If I was entitled to rent allowance i would gladly accept it by the way just like i was happy to pay tax and help others like me now.

Thanks, though. Yeah i shouldn't lie about still being working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

You're right. I want my taxes going on government helicopters and new government departments - I don't want it wasted on anyone that needs a leg up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Maphisto wrote: »
    You're right. I want my taxes going on government helicopters and new government departments - I don't want it wasted on anyone that needs a leg up.

Id much rather they didn't spend it on either and cut my tax rate instead:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Id much rather they didn't spend it on either and cut my tax rate instead:mad:

Yeah that'll happen - just watch the budget.

maca123 wrote: »
    The money I received from the unfair dismissal case is going to pay the rent. I would still be paying taxes had i not being forced out of my job too.
    I'm on illness benefit, not disability allowance so it's not permanent. I'm looking to get better after what I've being though, going to college for years, getting a degree to get a job i was wrongly forced out without a reference after years of hard work. If I was entitled to rent allowance i would gladly accept it by the way just like i was happy to pay tax and help others like me now.

Thanks, though. Yeah i shouldn't lie about still being working.
    Since you're currently on illness benefit and moving aside from the money aspect for just a moment, are there any supports that will no longer be in place if you move out on your own?

MYOB wrote: »
    Doesn't count for RA applications as far as I know - if you're not currently renting (and not on the housing list either) you can't apply.

You can use previous tenancies to make up for the 6 months, yeah you do need to be on the housing list regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

murphaph wrote: »

Until you come back and pay taxes like me in this country you have no right to an opinion on the OP circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Chris___ wrote: »
    Until you come back and pay taxes like me in this country you have no right to an opinion on the OP circumstances.

you'd find that as a landlord he still is paying tax...

Maybe you should let Boards.ie know about your new policy for their discussion forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum- paying a lot less tax in Ireland than Philip is. Your statement is horse manure of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can use previous tenancies to make up for the 6 months, yeah you do need to be on the housing list regardless.

no it is either or...unless you live in eg cork where the cwos try to change the rules. check with citizens info site

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

Not completely correct. If you get deemed in need of social housing by your local housing authority (on housing list) you will get RA.

Op there are quite a few Landlords who are nice and understanding and don't care about your situation as long as you pay the rent and are a good tenant. Just be upfront and honest. Hope your luck turns around soon:)

Graces7 wrote: »
    no it is either or...unless you live in eg cork where the cwos try to change the rules. check with citizens info site

It's not, I have looked it up. "You must be renting for 6 months out of 12 you can use previous time as a tenant to make up the 6 months
    OR
    be assessed as in need of social housing by your local authority"

Advertisement