Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV to OZ

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Ok im going to Oz in just over a month, ive everything booked and all that, i just have 2 quistions, firstly Im going to Brisbane first,any suggestions on how to transfer money, should i just use currency affair, its seems the best rate and the cheapest?? And also anyone have any suggestions for regional work for 2nd year visa, ill prob just do fruit picking?, ill probally just do it in queensland since thats where i will be anyway. Just if anyone can recomend anywhere and anyone know what the pay is like? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you have an irish credit card you can use that to spend money for the cheapest rate. You can put money onto your credit card so you are spending your own money. Don't use it for withdrawing cash though.

As for work, see whats in season. It may not be fruit picking either, you could be labouring on a farm, driving a tractor etc. Pay should be in around the $19 per hour mark if its somewhere decent (minimum wage is about $16-$17).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

pete4130 wrote: »
    If you have an irish credit card you can use that to spend money for the cheapest rate. You can put money onto your credit card so you are spending your own money. Don't use it for withdrawing cash though.

As for work, see whats in season. It may not be fruit picking either, you could be labouring on a farm, driving a tractor etc. Pay should be in around the $19 per hour mark if its somewhere decent (minimum wage is about $16-$17).

Nope i dont have a credit card at all so i will probally just transfer my money, would u recomend anywhere in particilar for regional work in QLD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I can't recommend anywhere really. I was lucky when I got here and got working in the oil and gas industry in the correct postcode so I was covered on two fronts (type of work & postcode). I know friends had decent farming/tractor driving work near the town of St. George in QLD.

It's hard to say where is good until you get here, what is in season, what the demand is like etc. There are rural work websites to get work and I know that farms/companies organise buses from Brisbane out to rural areas to bring backpackers out to work. Once you get here and ask around, see whats going it will become more clear where you need to go.

Look into getting a pre paid credit card perhaps? Like I said, the cheapest exchange rate to pay for things is on a credit card. It's safe, secure and if its prepaid you know exactly how much you have to spend. I use a company called worldwide currencies to transfer money home. I'm not sure how it compares to Currency Fair.

Advertisement