Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is he an optional boss? His name didn't ring a bell and when I looked the fight up on YouTube I knew I didn't fight him. I've the game finished so don't know how I missed him.

Yeah hes optional, i one shotted him on my first attempt, and then had trouble in different play throughs after. i wouldnt tackle anything in the DLC without my weapon being anything less than +9. If you're juggling multiple weapons and only half assing them upgrade wise, yer gonna be hitting forever..

Have you started on the chalice dungeons yet? They are fun, great for leveling and getting gems and have some unique bosses not in the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

nix wrote: »
    Yeah hes optional, i one shotted him on my first attempt, and then had trouble in different play throughs after. i wouldnt tackle anything in the DLC without my weapon being anything less than +9. If you're juggling multiple weapons and only half assing them upgrade wise, yer gonna be hitting forever..

Have you started on the chalice dungeons yet? They are fun, great for leveling and getting gems and have some unique bosses not in the main game.

Ah right. Shame I missed him.

Ya I started the dungeons. Enjoyed it until I got to Rom who has impossible considering he was of the easier bosses in the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

About to go into Forbidden Woods tonight. HOw much of a hassle are the Shadows? Reading their tactics now, they seem like a pain in the hoop?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Depends on your own play style. I'm very evasive, will commonly go 5+ seconds of just dodging and positioning, open them up with a parry and melt the bastard.

I've seen people who are always swinging, only dodge attacks and don't play too positionally kick the ****e out of them after a few runs but got mauled after being trapped out of position.

Generally, I'd prefer to take them attrition style, they're not too hard if you've decent positioning.

They are fairly easy imo, use the giant tombstone to your advantage to kite them away from one another. one always shoots fireballs from range, anoother gets into melee range to cast a flame and the other is just aggressive melee. So wreck the aggressive melee first, then the other close range fella, then just go to town on the last fella.

If you just go tunnel vision attacking them all in close proximity of each other, you will get wrecked.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips all. I'll let you know how I get on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just bought a PS4 last week and picked up this game earlier so I'll likely be here looking for help quite a bit! I haven't done any gaming at all for around 4 years now so it'll take me a while to get good at it I suspect.

Played about an hour or so tonight and loving it so far, great atmosphere and art style and the combat is really intense, really looking forward to getting stuck into it

Just bought a PS4 last week and picked up this game earlier so I'll likely be here looking for help quite a bit! I haven't done any gaming at all for around 4 years now so it'll take me a while to get good at it I suspect.

Played about an hour or so tonight and loving it so far, great atmosphere and art style and the combat is really intense, really looking forward to getting stuck into it

Let us know how you get on with Father Gascoigne. That is your first major difficulty check for beginners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Managed Ebrietas last night. Came soo close with Logarius. Might give up on him. Also,is Laurence compulsory in DLC? Might have to either bypass for now or give up on him also. He just destroys me with those flames. I have a blood rock but don't want to put it into the only +9 weapon I have (saw cleaver). I'd rather put it into the moonlight sword or something.

I've done some chalice Dungeons. Just 2. I must be over leveled for them as they were handy enough though Phutmerian Descendant (think that his name) was fast.

Managed Ebrietas last night. Came soo close with Logarius. Might give up on him. Also,is Laurence compulsory in DLC? Might have to either bypass for now or give up on him also. He just destroys me with those flames. I have a blood rock but don't want to put it into the only +9 weapon I have (saw cleaver). I'd rather put it into the moonlight sword or something.

I've done some chalice Dungeons. Just 2. I must be over leveled for them as they were handy enough though Phutmerian Descendant (think that his name) was fast.

Saw cleaver is one of the, if not, thee best weapon in the game. No harm in making it +10. You get another bloodrock near the end of the DLC, and i think you can trade in chunks for one to at the insight vendor.

And keep going with the chalices, the first 2 or 3 are easy, they start getting more rewarding, especially when you start doing the hintertomb ones.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on with Father Gascoigne. That is your first major difficulty check for beginners

Will do! I'm finding it easy enough so far, beat the cleric beast first time and not having much trouble with enemies though the big troll things can be tough enough. I'm guessing I'm meant to go through the sewers next so I'll tackle that tonight

I was going to say Ebrietas is way easier than Logarius, bit all my memories are pre-patch.

How's your parrying? Logarius is much more manageable with parries.

Laurence is optional.

Chalice Dungeon difficulty is done by Depth. Ranges from 1-5 and can be found on the chalices when you make them.

Depth 1 is up to Fr. Gas in terms of difficulty.
    D2 up to the Shadows
    D3 up to Mergo's Wet Nurse
    D4 is harder than most of NG+
    D5, well NG+++ is the furthest I've ever gotten and it was easier than Depth 5 dungeons.

The three starting weapons are all solid choices for your Blood Rock. These aren't games where late game weapons are better than early ones, especially in Bloodborne, where pretty much every weapon is viable for casual play. If you use the cleaver a lot, and you're good with it, then I'd +10 it.

The cane is the best though.

Will do! I'm finding it easy enough so far, beat the cleric beast first time and not having much trouble with enemies though the big troll things can be tough enough. I'm guessing I'm meant to go through the sewers next so I'll tackle that tonight

The difficultly is way overhyped. They're games of reactions, awareness and decision making. If you make a poor call, you're going to get mauled, if you can keep making the right ones, you'll kick ass.

You see ****e like "almost as fun as the time I hardwired my nipples to a car battery" because some people prefer interactive stories as opposed to challenges.

There's a skill floor that's probably going to be above your head when you play your first Soulsborne game, its not that hard to master once you get out of the mindset of your character being some god of combat. Your characters just a guy, if you jump into a 5v1, you're rightly going to die without some skill.

My three recommendations are
    a) If you're getting annoyed, play something else for a bit.

b) You will lose 1,000 echo's and be heartbroken. A few bosses later, you'll lose 10,000 and be heartbroken. After finishing the chalice dungeons, you'll drop 100,000 and it won't phase you. Eventually you'll lose a crap ton of echo's, it happens.

c) Learn to parry

*Edit* and good luck with Fr. Gas, he's a wake up call.

The game features co-op if you're not aware, if you hit a wall don't be afraid to ask for a hand.

The difficultly is way overhyped. They're games of reactions, awareness and decision making. If you make a poor call, you're going to get mauled, if you can keep making the right ones, you'll kick ass.

You see ****e like "almost as fun as the time I hardwired my nipples to a car battery" because some people prefer interactive stories as opposed to challenges.

There's a skill floor that's probably going to be above your head when you play your first Soulsborne game, its not that hard to master once you get out of the mindset of your character being some god of combat. Your characters just a guy, if you jump into a 5v1, you're rightly going to die without some skill.

My three recommendations are
    a) If you're getting annoyed, play something else for a bit.

b) You will lose 1,000 echo's and be heartbroken. A few bosses later, you'll lose 10,000 and be heartbroken. After finishing the chalice dungeons, you'll drop 100,000 and it won't phase you. Eventually you'll lose a crap ton of echo's, it happens.

c) Learn to parry

*Edit* and good luck with Fr. Gas, he's a wake up call.

The game features co-op if you're not aware, if you hit a wall don't be afraid to ask for a hand.

I should have said, I clocked probably close to 200 hours on the first Dark Souls so I'm well familiar with the gameplay. It's just been a while since I've played anything so I'm really rusty.

I didn't realise I could parry though, are there shields later in the game or how does it work?

I should have said, I clocked probably close to 200 hours on the first Dark Souls so I'm well familiar with the gameplay. It's just been a while since I've played anything so I'm really rusty.

I didn't realise I could parry though, are there shields later in the game or how does it work?

You'll have to play the third one too, its excellent.

You parry using your gun! Pretty similar to Dark Souls, when the enemies weapon is in its forward momentum (moving towards you), shoot. Wait a moment for them to go down on one knee and hittem with an R1.

I was going to say Ebrietas is way easier than Logarius, bit all my memories are pre-patch.

How's your parrying? Logarius is much more manageable with parries.

Laurence is optional.

Chalice Dungeon difficulty is done by Depth. Ranges from 1-5 and can be found on the chalices when you make them.

Depth 1 is up to Fr. Gas in terms of difficulty.
    D2 up to the Shadows
    D3 up to Mergo's Wet Nurse
    D4 is harder than most of NG+
    D5, well NG+++ is the furthest I've ever gotten and it was easier than Depth 5 dungeons.

The three starting weapons are all solid choices for your Blood Rock. These aren't games where late game weapons are better than early ones, especially in Bloodborne, where pretty much every weapon is viable for casual play. If you use the cleaver a lot, and you're good with it, then I'd +10 it.

The cane is the best though.

I've managed to more or less master the art of parrying this play through (just regular starter game not NG+) . No, master is the wrong word. I can do it but sometimes I'll be off or I'll panic and shoot trice instead of following with a visceral attack. I parried my way through Gazza and Blood Starved Beast so I know I can do it. I just find Logarius too quick when he does that fly thing. Also, I've lost count of the times I almost had him only to fall off the roof. Ah I'll get him. I'm not constantly going at him though. Tried 2/3 times last night and left him.

Well that explains the chalice Dungeons. So far I've just done the Pthumeru ones and they're 1-3. I'd read they were difficult so was surprised to not die in them. I'll know all about it soon enough.

I ended up upgrading the cleaver. I couldn't get into the cane at all. First play I used the axe but overall the cleaver or saw spear are what I've used along with tonitrus tho now I use the Holy Moonlight sword a lot. Love it.

I've actually been considering getting the first Dark Souls for the 360. Reckon it's worth a punt?

ROM in a feckin dungeon!!! Game is taking the piss.

You'll have to play the third one too, its excellent.

You parry using your gun! Pretty similar to Dark Souls, when the enemies weapon is in its forward momentum (moving towards you), shoot. Wait a moment for them to go down on one knee and hittem with an R1.

Thanks, I had no idea about that, already making things easier. I just came across Gasgoine for the first time, got him down to half health so not a bad effort, I suspect it'll be the first of many tries though

ROM in a feckin dungeon!!! Game is taking the piss.

Thats not even the worst of it fella. Wait till you do the ones where
    you have half health
    :D

Haha die Martyr Logarius die!!!!! THE most satisfying kill of the game so far. I'm pumped with adrenaline.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I had no idea about that, already making things easier. I just came across Gasgoine for the first time, got him down to half health so not a bad effort, I suspect it'll be the first of many tries though

Half health is good for your first try man. When I attempted him the first time, he just looked at me and I was melted.

Look into the lore of this guy as well if you have the time. Pretty tragic stuff.

For my own part am on the snake bit of Forbidden Woods as of last night.

Snaaaaaaaaaakes!

Half health is good for your first try man. When I attempted him the first time, he just looked at me and I was melted.

Look into the lore of this guy as well if you have the time. Pretty tragic stuff.

For my own part am on the snake bit of Forbidden Woods as of last night.

Snaaaaaaaaaakes!

Oh I hated those snake piles, especially the huge ones that spit poison. My first play through with Gazza was all cheese. Wasn't until my second play that I took him on properly. Let us know how you get on with Shadows. They were the first brick wall I hit this time around. I always seem to struggle when there is more than one enemy to focus on.

Oh I hated those snake piles, especially the huge ones that spit poison. My first play through with Gazza was all cheese. Wasn't until my second play that I took him on properly. Let us know how you get on with Shadows. They were the first brick wall I hit this time around. I always seem to struggle when there is more than one enemy to focus on.

I read a few strats on him and I know the "theory" of what to do with them. You know yourself though, theory tends to go out the window when some b*stard is trying to forcibly remove your brains through your nose!

EDIT: Incidentally this has to be the biggest game area yet or am I imagining it? Its massive!

I've actually been considering getting the first Dark Souls for the 360. Reckon it's worth a punt?

Sounds like the parrying just needs refining, comes with experience obviously, fair play on the Logarius kill :)

Weirdest covenant ever ahead.

The first Dark Souls is known to many as a masterpiece, its my favourite in the series. The combat is slower than Bloodborne, sword and shield, rolling and stuff instead of the quick stepping of BB. You can get the Prepare to Die edition for about €10 fairly handy, its definitely worth trying if you enjoyed Bloodborne.

Sounds like the parrying just needs refining, comes with experience obviously, fair play on the Logarius kill :)

Weirdest covenant ever ahead.

The first Dark Souls is known to many as a masterpiece, its my favourite in the series. The combat is slower than Bloodborne, sword and shield, rolling and stuff instead of the quick stepping of BB. You can get the Prepare to Die edition for about €10 fairly handy, its definitely worth trying if you enjoyed Bloodborne.

Whereabouts is the P2D edit going for €10? Cheapest I've seen is regular version for €12 but my nearby CEX has sold it since I checked on Monday. Regular version €20 in Gamestop. I'm in no rush as have The Fire Fades edition of 3 and after picking up Yakuza 0 for a decent price but if I saw DS for a tenner I'd definitely pick it up to have for later.

Any tips for Laurence? Almost got him but he backed me into a corner at his lava stage. I only got that far as summoned Valtr but I heard that makes fight even harder. My earlier fight with him I just walked into the room and 3 swipes and I was gone. Those flames always seem to connect.

Any tips for Laurence? Almost got him but he backed me into a corner at his lava stage. I only got that far as summoned Valtr but I heard that makes fight even harder. My earlier fight with him I just walked into the room and 3 swipes and I was gone. Those flames always seem to connect.

Yeah dont let him block you in on that phase, disengage and run to drag him away from corners/walls. Stay on his left sidestepping and just chip away at him..I find thats the easiest part of his phases, up until that hes rough...

Beat Gascoigne after about 10 attempts, found him easy enough up until he changes form but just couldn't avoid his attacks after that and was dying instantly. Ended up just lobbing a few molotov at him as he was changing which made it simple, felt a bit cheap but I'll take it

Beat Gascoigne after about 10 attempts, found him easy enough up until he changes form but just couldn't avoid his attacks after that and was dying instantly. Ended up just lobbing a few molotov at him as he was changing which made it simple, felt a bit cheap but I'll take it

not cheap, the right tactic, fire damage wrecks him in beast form

• Advertisement

Well done man. I found playing the music box the moment he changed could get a few strong hits in and then dodging into his attacks rather than away from them made it easy to finish him off.

Living failures were grand but how do you solve a problem like Maria? She's fast and Deadly. Cool fight, probably my favourite so far.

Advertisement