Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm just jealous, I'd be doing the exact same if I had a big person job :(

Don't do it. I miss my pub job. Play Xbox all day then go to work for the evening. It was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm weak, i know. But this and Pillars of Eternity should keep me busy for a few months, and i will probably keep me out of the pub a few times. So it makes financial sense, and keeps me healthier.

That makes it a good call...right...right? :o

Sound reasoning imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I decided last night that i wasn't going to buy the PS4 for this. Just can't justify the purchase yet. Will definitely pick one up once there are more games, but for now i'll have to admire Bloodborne from a distance :(
    Argos have the PS4 with Bloodborne and The Order for €399 today....**** it, i just bought it :P

Yes!!!! That's the sh1t I'm talking about! Impulse buying is great!

Nevermind eating, you can feast on games!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Never played the Souls games and the €59.99 is really teasing me but I have just got FIFA 15 in a trade this week and still have Tomb Raider and Thief to open so I'll hold off.

If its as difficult as people are saying, second hand copies should soon be available.

I've just played through large open-world games like Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor and GTA V so I want to turn off my brain for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Lemlin wrote: »
    Never played the Souls games and the €59.99 is really teasing me but I have just got FIFA 15 in a trade this week and still have Tomb Raider and Thief to open so I'll hold off.

If its as difficult as people are saying, second hand copies should soon be available.

I've just played through large open-world games like Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor and GTA V so I want to turn off my brain for a while!

In same boat, this looks really interesting but never played the souls games either, have mostly been playing gta v and far cry this year, would this be suitable to me? For some reason bought battlefield last week (well traded in two games for it), its terrible so may trade in again towards this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

They're tough but you'll get the hang of it if you persevere. Most rewarding and addictive games if you get stuck in. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If you die a lot, do your attacks start getting weaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If you die a lot, do your attacks start getting weaker?

Not they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Slightly offbeat request if anyone has an opinion...

So I want to buy bloodborne and might do today. On the other hand I kickstarted pillars of eternity in 2012 and it released yesterday so I want to play that too. I don't want to play both at the same time as I want to dedicate my gaming time to one or the other.

I've never played a souls game before but my impression from those who've played them is that a good part of the experience is figuring out the games, the sometimes obscure mechanics, the unexpected uses for items, the different boss strategies etc.

However, I get the feeling it's kind of a collective thing. The souls games seem to spawn a community that goes through a collective journey of discovery which is fairly unique.

I'm leaning towards playing pillars of eternity now (since I've already paid for it over 2 years ago!) and getting bloodborne in a few weeks. My worry is that I'll miss out on the community aspect of bloodborne as everything will already be uncovered.

So, opinions please....
    - is my above impression accurate? Have people who played previous souls games at release found value in the community discovery?
    - I appreciate I could just play through and never consult the Internet, so I get to discover things myself. Is there much I'm game I would likely miss out on if I did this?
    - will I realistically miss out on much by not playing for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I can't imagine you'll miss out on too much. The forums will always be there and In my experience people will always be there to answer any questions you have even years after the games have released. (see my posts in the Demons soul's thread from last week for example)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are right, a large part of the Souls games is the community, helping each other with tips and telling your story of "how I f*cked up" or "how I finally beat the boss that's killed me 63 times".

You have them both now. Play Bloodborne with the rest of us. Pillars is largely a solo game. And it will still be a great solo game a week from now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Dark Souls 1 thread was very active up until Dark Souls 2 came out. Even the DS2 thread was pretty busy for a long time even though a lot didn't like it as much as the first game. By the sounds of thing Bloodborne has topped all previous Souls games so I imagine this thread will be active for quite some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

abelard wrote: »

So I want to buy bloodborne and might do today. On the other hand I kickstarted pillars of eternity in 2012 and it released yesterday so I want to play that too. I don't want to play both at the same time as I want to dedicate my gaming time to one or the other.

I've never played a souls game before but my impression from those who've played them is that a good part of the experience is figuring out the games, the sometimes obscure mechanics, the unexpected uses for items, the different boss strategies etc.

However, I get the feeling it's kind of a collective thing. The souls games seem to spawn a community that goes through a collective journey of discovery which is fairly unique.

I'm leaning towards playing pillars of eternity now (since I've already paid for it over 2 years ago!) and getting bloodborne in a few weeks. My worry is that I'll miss out on the community aspect of bloodborne as everything will already be uncovered.

So, opinions please....
    - is my above impression accurate? Have people who played previous souls games at release found value in the community discovery?
    - I appreciate I could just play through and never consult the Internet, so I get to discover things myself. Is there much I'm game I would likely miss out on if I did this?

If you really get stuck you could get the Future Press guide from Amazon, it is already a bestseller in its sales category, a friend of mine had the DS2 version and it was really well put together guide it very detailed maps and illustrations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodborne-Collectors-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427465563&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodborne+guide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I think he is more interested in interacting with the community and discussing various aspects of his playthrough compared to other peoples experience. I don't think he's looking for a guide with everything in it slapped in front of him.
    abelard wrote: »

So, opinions please....

You are 100% right with this. I'm not sure if Dark Souls 1 had a guide book but it was a huge community effort to uncover all of its secrets with me spending alot of time on the boards thread on my phone. Dark Souls 2 was a somewhat different story. The guide for that game was released with the game so there was tonnes of information on the net within the first week. But again i confined myself to the boards thread and got a similar experience as i did with Dark Souls 1.

The Bloodborne guide is released early next month so you have about 2-3 weeks of "community collaboration" before everything about the game is spread on the net. I also have Pillars of Eternity and i'm putting it on hold and playing BB for the reason above. Besides, PoE is a very very relaxing game compared to the twitch reaction, high stress level play of BB. When BB is giving you trouble on a tough boss or area PoE is the perfect stress reliever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What a ****ing opening! Managed the Chalice Beast first go, but it definitely is a massive change of pace from the Souls games. When a mob of enemies runs at you the first time... :eek:

While the gameplay is familiar yet significantly different, it's the world that stands out most in the first few hours. From have outdone themselves here, creating a truly haunting, horrific place to explore. Those who have referred to it as a horror game aren't wrong - the sights and sounds are terrifying from the off, and each step forward a very unsettling one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can't wait to play this, bought it this morning for 59.99 in Argos after spotting it for 74.99 in Gamestop!. However Im gonna leave it till nightfall to play the game, far too bright of a day of be playing such a dark, atmospheric game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some of the screams that come from enemies are terrifying alright. And loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A friend who works in Argos said it might be going up to full price on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Argos cheapest option so at 59.99 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Those who have referred to it as a horror game aren't wrong - the sights and sounds are terrifying from the off, and each step forward a very unsettling one.

Oh ya, I really should have mentioned that. The sound design is incredible in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

forgot to say that in Argos when i bought it for 59.99 they also gave me a 5 euro gift voucher which is usable until the 28th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

tok9 wrote: »
    Oh ya, I really should have mentioned that. The sound design is incredible in the game.

Spot on, I was getting my sound through the tv yesterday but last night I had to use my headphones and the smallest little sounds were amplified.

:eek:

When the enemies drag the scythe passed you on their patrol is just plain eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is just fantastic so far. I'm finding the pace of the combat to be excellent, it's very fast.

One of my favourite things is that if you get ambushed by an enemy, you can't turtle for a few seconds like the Souls games, you've got to immediately retaliate to regain health.

Am I the only one that can't even see enemies half the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Looking forward to playing this later, I'll literally have to dust off my PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Anyone had a chance to try co op yet? Is it as difficult to team up with a friend as it was in the souls games? Is it possible to play the whole game co op?

Alright, 1st off, this is a fantastic game. Looks brilliant and plays like games should, requires skill, no hand holding but not impossible. My shield days of old are well and truly over but I'm loving the dodge mechanics.

Wondered up and found myself face to face with the
    Cleric Beast
    , had him down to 1/4 health on first go, dies and retured straight to Hunters dream chatting to
    dolly and professor x

Can anyone tell me what I did to kick that off? Is it just because I reached and died at the 1st boss?

As for the sounds in the game, the missus says from the next room that 'the game sounds crazy!'. Yupp! Have to get some headphones for this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I think he is more interested in interacting with the community and discussing various aspects of his playthrough compared to other peoples experience. I don't think he's looking for a guide with everything in it slapped in front of him.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at alright. It's not as much about being able to look up a guide if I'm stuck. If that was the case I'd have no problem waiting. But the souls games seem to have that quite unique period of communal discovery and theorising that I'd like to experience

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

weiland79 wrote: »
    Anyone had a chance to try co op yet? Is it as difficult to team up with a friend as it was in the souls games? Is it possible to play the whole game co op?

I watched a vid last night where they used a password to arrange co-op.

Fu*k this game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Cleric Beast is totally ****ing me :(

Advertisement