Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

From patch notes:
    Blood Stone Chunks can now be acquired by trading Insight. (*Players must advance the story to a certain point before Blood Stone Chunks become available.)

I'm NG+1 but only a few headstones open. Where in the game do the Chunks appear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I played Bloodborne for the first time today and I packed it in after a few hours. I had the same experience with Dark Souls a few weeks ago, which I had never played before.

These games are hard and I'm not a particularly skilled gamer, but oddly enough the difficulty isn't the problem. In fact, I actually love that heart-in-mouth feeling you get with every single enemy you're up against. The sense of tension is riveting.

My issue is with having to play long stretches of the game over and over again. I find it utterly tedious. Now I realise that part of the tension of these game is due to knowing what's at stake with every death. Nonetheless, the sense of repetition totally kills the immersion for me.

Worst of all, when you keep replaying a certain section you become over-familiar with enemy placement and numbers, so you just methodically take them out until you get another chance at the guy that killed you. And so on and so forth. During those periods the spontaneity is taken out of the game. I would have loved if enemy placement varied each time just to keep it interesting. Or perhaps it does later in the game?

I wouldn't even call these criticisms, because these are the games' systems and you either take it or leave it. I'm just pissed that the first true next-gen game on PS4 isn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I played Bloodborne for the first time today and I packed it in after a few hours. I had the same experience with Dark Souls a few weeks ago, which I had never played before.

These games are hard and I'm not a particularly skilled gamer, but oddly enough the difficulty isn't the problem. In fact, I actually love that heart-in-mouth feeling you get with every single enemy you're up against. The sense of tension is riveting.

My issue is with having to play long stretches of the game over and over again. I find it utterly tedious. Now I realise that part of the tension of these game is due to knowing what's at stake with every death. Nonetheless, the sense of repetition totally kills the immersion for me.

Worst of all, when you keep replaying a certain section you become over-familiar with enemy placement and numbers, so you just methodically take them out until you get another chance at the guy that killed you. And so on and so forth. During those periods the spontaneity is taken out of the game. I would have loved if enemy placement varied each time just to keep it interesting. Or perhaps it does later in the game?

I wouldn't even call these criticisms, because these are the games' systems and you either take it or leave it. I'm just pissed that the first true next-gen game on PS4 isn't for me.

Keep at it! After the third or fourth boss you'll hit your stride and be able to clear most enemies on your first go, and only very few aside from bosses will take more than 3-4 goes.

Keep at it! After the third or fourth boss you'll hit your stride and be able to clear most enemies on your first go, and only very few aside from bosses will take more than 3-4 goes.

That's very encouraging. I actually borrowed it from a mate for the long weekend, so no doubt I'll jump back in at some stage. I just had enough of it earlier. I wasn't excited enough to have 'rage-quitted'. Is there such a thing as "bored-quitted'?

I just have a real issue when it comes to replaying areas. It reminds me of old 8-bit games where you knew all the enemies and you had to kill them over and over again because you kept falling into the same hole or missing the same jump. Of course Bloodborne's systems are way more complex, but repetition and boredom kick in nonetheless.

I can completely empathise with what you are saying. But there is a wall here - clear through it, level up, become stronger and I can guarantee it will be the best and most immersive game you will play. Im on ng+1 and I'm humiliating all bosses with the skills I learned along the way.

Stick with it... good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Finally getting back into this after being away from it all week. Managed to kill the Cleric Beast first time but Gascoigne... You prick. No problem getting him down to the werewolf stage but then he makes bits of me. And just now managed to lose the 4000 echoes that were in Gascoigne's arena by getting killed by the troll on the bridge over to him. Time to bail for the night I think.

sticker wrote: »
    I can completely empathise with what you are saying. But there is a wall here - clear through it, level up, become stronger and I can guarantee it will be the best and most immersive game you will play. Im on ng+1 and I'm humiliating all bosses with the skills I learned along the way.

Stick with it... good luck mate.

I gave it another couple of hours there and it's just not for me. I've spent two thirds of my total playtime so far replaying areas. Perhaps I'm just not very good at it, but either way the developer gives you no credit whatsoever for navigating difficult sections. One mistake and you're sent back to where you started, to slash your way through the same enemies, in the same locations. Groundhog Day. A very dull and uninspired aspect to an otherwise hugely imaginative creation. I'm glad I gave it a few hours though. Fantastic atmosphere.

Finally getting back into this after being away from it all week. Managed to kill the Cleric Beast first time but Gascoigne... You prick. No problem getting him down to the werewolf stage but then he makes bits of me. And just now managed to lose the 4000 echoes that were in Gascoigne's arena by getting killed by the troll on the bridge over to him. Time to bail for the night I think.

Gascoigne is a real tosser to get past at the early levels. There's some stat that he's singularly responsible for a large portion of players dumping the game. He is doable though so perseverve - rich rewards exist beyond him..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Gascoigne werewolf
    I lured him onto roof at break in fence while I stood above and used my whip to slowly kill him. Be careful he can still get you if you time things wrong but it worked for me, was sick to my back teeth of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I gave it another couple of hours there and it's just not for me. I've spent two thirds of my total playtime so far replaying areas. Perhaps I'm just not very good at it, but either way the developer gives you no credit whatsoever for navigating difficult sections. One mistake and you're sent back to where you started, to slash your way through the same enemies, in the same locations. Groundhog Day. A very dull and uninspired aspect to an otherwise hugely imaginative creation. I'm glad I gave it a few hours though. Fantastic atmosphere.

Not sure if this info will be relevant but there are lots of short cuts to open up that do away with that need to play through an entire area again. Like short cuts to bosses or new areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ebrietas is driving me nuts, i just can't do it. ****ing frenzy is driving me mad.

Loving the blood all over the clothes after killing Gazza. He dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Are you still at the first lantern in central Yharnam?

After a few deaths and having to grind through the early parts was fairly maddening for me too - I actually found after a few goes that you can literally run directly past all those lads at the start.

If you explore and link up the different areas in CY like the sewers, the kennels, the bridge etc. the whole place becomes a lot more navigable.

I realise you've probably decided to pack it in altogether but seriously just give it a go running past those enemies at the start that add nothing but monotony and as you begin to get into some new areas you'll rediscover your zeal for blood!

Are you still at the first lantern in central Yharnam?

After a few deaths and having to grind through the early parts was fairly maddening for me too - I actually found after a few goes that you can literally run directly past all those lads at the start.

If you explore and link up the different areas in CY like the sewers, the kennels, the bridge etc. the whole place becomes a lot more navigable.

I realise you've probably decided to pack it in altogether but seriously just give it a go running past those enemies at the start that add nothing but monotony and as you begin to get into some new areas you'll rediscover your zeal for blood!

Yeah I was still in the Central area. I opened up a few shortcuts and that made things better, but at that stage I was already fed up with it. I dropped the game back to my mate because I knew I'd end up playing it again and it would just drive me mad.

However…. I was snooping around CEX earlier and I spotted Dark Souls II. I had a go at the original game a few weeks ago and that also ended badly, but in a moment of total madness I forked out €22 for a third shot at this bastard series. There's obviously something about these games that's crept into my bones. I'm in the third area now, Forest of Fallen Giants, and I'm loving it. I'm totally sold. There's gonna be dark days and long nights ahead, but I think I can now officially call myself a Souls fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Yeah I was still in the Central area. I opened up a few shortcuts and that made things better, but at that stage I was already fed up with it. I dropped the game back to my mate because I knew I'd end up playing it again and it would just drive me mad.

However…. I was snooping around CEX earlier and I spotted Dark Souls II. I had a go at the original game a few weeks ago and that also ended badly, but in a moment of total madness I forked out €22 for a third shot at this bastard series. There's obviously something about these games that's crept into my bones. I'm in the third area now, Forest of Fallen Giants, and I'm loving it. I'm totally sold. There's gonna be dark days and long nights ahead, but I think I can now officially call myself a Souls fan.

I was in a similar boat with the first game...bought demon souls and went f that live is too short :) went back a few months later and gpt stuck in.

My love/hate affair with FROM Software started there.Broke 2 pads playing the damm series:)

Took me 3 years from sucking at Demons to beating Dark unlike 3 weeks! Once you've a feel for the games you should head back to Bloodborne ;)

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm definitely gonna keep at these games. I love the worlds they create, even when they're driving me crazy.

The whole thing is strange though. People putting themselves through such grief for a game. And getting so wrapped up in it as well. My mother rang me earlier and invited me up for a bite to eat. I told her I'd already eaten, when in fact my plan was to sit in my boxers all night eating rubbish and running around in the dark with a dagger. I mean I've got bills and responsibilities. My girlfriend and I are talking about trying for a kid. I wore a suit to work yesterday. My clients think I play golf at the weekend.

Just spent a while killing Eileen the Crow and then farming up 40000 echoes to get blades of mercy. What's the best way to get the most out of these? I've got them and a threaded cane at +4 but it seems that my cane is still stronger. I'm pretty early in the game (only play at weekends really), just at Amelia now.

The blades are awesome, forget raw power, dual wield them and look how fast you strike.

Crazy for health regen

Amelia is kicking my arse. Can get her to about a third health left but not getting much further. And I'm still not seeing the fuss with the Blades. They're quick but I constantly get hit when trying to just get stuck it and unleash a flurry.

• Advertisement

Dodge more with the blades, I found them to shine with 2 or 3 hit combos with a dodge at the end, keep lightning fast speed up instead of standing trading hits

As for Amelia, if you're badly stuck you can keep distance from her to bait her leaping attack, and then dodge right and deliver slashes to her head. Always dodge right.

And bring Molotov's if you need them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Clattered the Witches, easiest area so far to be honest.
    Now to try Amelia, don't reckon I'll do too well tbh.

Probably found that area one of the easiest too myself, only tricky enemies were the troll bastards with the axes, they wrecked me if they connected. Definitely the easiest boss so far too, even though it took me two attempts and i killed the blood starved beast in one, but that was more to do with getting to the witch with no vials left. Amelia definitely the hardest for me so far, only one i called for help with.
    And I was definitely starting to see the benefit of the blades during that area. Once you get inside and start hacking away the enemy has no chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kinda weird
    Just beat Vicar Amelia first time.
    Very odd, as I was to understand she was very very hard.
    I tried the bell to summon help first but none turned up so I gave it a lash.
    Hey ho, on we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Stole from the Gaming Humor thread - but its brilliant

Just got to the bosses in Forbidden Woods. Fook that was a stressful enough area. Very confusing, enemies that deal a fair amount of damage and just before I found the second elevator I was walking around with nearly 40000 echoes (having already lost 55000 earlier in the level). Really reminded me of DS1.

Just got to the bosses in Forbidden Woods. Fook that was a stressful enough area. Very confusing, enemies that deal a fair amount of damage and just before I found the second elevator I was walking around with nearly 40000 echoes (having already lost 55000 earlier in the level). Really reminded me of DS1.

There myself.
    Definitely felt like a throwback, it is confusing at times but the level does seem to be funnelling you towards the bosses lair.
    Certainly the break from the corrupted London of Yarnham to the dread of the cursed woods is great, everything feels like an off shoot of Lovecraft stories though, nothing wrong with that either, just a little less original than previous Soul's entries is all.

Got to Rom last night. S/he's making bits of me. First phase is grand but once the second batch of more aggressive spiders appears combined with the missiles I get my arse handed to me. Doesn't seem to be much point in calling for coop either, just seems to make the spiders waaay more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Got to Rom last night. S/he's making bits of me. First phase is grand but once the second batch of more aggressive spiders appears combined with the missiles I get my arse handed to me. Doesn't seem to be much point in calling for coop either, just seems to make the spiders waaay more aggressive.

The spiders don't really matter, kill the first batch - as Rom will have no interest in you initially. Once all the first round of spiders are gone, attack Roms body - ignore the head. Eventually Rom will teleport and more spiders appear.
    From here on, completely ignore the spiders, dont bother trying to kill them, they are just a distraction, that allow Rom to catch you with those meteors. And only one or two spiders will ever attack you at once, inflicting small amounts of damage. Just run straight through the spiders, and go straight to Rom, attack his side and run out and keep repeating until, he's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Finally got this great game and man is it addictive. Really sucks you in, find myself thinking about it all the time and constantly waiting to get back to it. Never played any of the Souls games either.

In the forbidden woods at the moment, haven't yet reached any bosses but the distance from the lamp is really starting to kill me, furthest I've got is to the dude with the cannon, the slog to try to get back and retrieve the echoes after a death is wrecking me, often never make it.
    I love the difficulty in general and I haven't been dying very much at all up to now, but this area is hitting me hard. From quick glances at some articles it seems like this isn't even close to the end of the level!

Advertisement