Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Looks unreal, the art style is creepy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Must. Avoid. Videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Have time booked off work for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think they need to advertise that this is "from the souls guys!" in an effort to ship copies and consoles because no casual gamers I know have a clue what this is.....but they all know about the souls games. A bigger youtube presence would be a good start. They have a brand. They should use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will this be as tough as the souls games?

• Advertisement

Will this be as tough as the souls games?

Probably harder because no one will know how to play it. All the Souls games could be beaten by shielding and observing enemy patterns until you got them down. No shielding here it seems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love to play it, but it's not worth buying a PS4 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love to play it, but it's not worth buying a PS4 for me.

Yeah same here, I like what I see but this is the only game on PS4 I'd have much interest in that I can't get on Xbox, no way I can justify the expense :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah same here, I like what I see but this is the only game on PS4 I'd have much interest in that I can't get on Xbox, no way I can justify the expense :(

justified for me :) love the souls games, but I can't commit to it 100% just yet until its released and their are some honest reviews of it from certain youtubers I watch :) if they greenlight it I will happily buy a console for it, uncharted 4 down the line will be a bonus for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Probably harder because no one will know how to play it. All the Souls games could be beaten by shielding and observing enemy patterns until you got them down. No shielding here it seems.

I see :eek:

I sucked at dark souls,im fecked so for this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Meh, I played Dark Souls 2 and never used a shield... just dual fist weapon'd everything w/ roll... want' even that hard. And roll seems to be buffed in this game because that's all you got so i-frames ahoy.

Shields have been confirmed to be in the game, but they will not be used as a crutch anymore.
    "There are shields in the game," Yamagiwa said, but he clarified that death will come quickly to those who try to stand back and guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Did i hear right that the game can be played through fully co op?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Did i hear right that the game can be played through fully co op?

It is online co-op and not local, basically it is just an expansion of the guesting system that has been used in past Souls games, so you will not be able to play it with friends, this could change though as no new information has came out about it since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Similar in that you have to be within a certain range of soul level to play with another person ?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Similar in that you have to be within a certain range of soul level to play with another person ?

Yeah and once the area boss has been defeated or if a connection with the other player has dropped, the co-op session will end.

Have ways to join with certain people been annouched o mighty Xenji? Like the Engraved Ring but more accurate if you understand

Have ways to join with certain people been annouched o mighty Xenji? Like the Engraved Ring but more accurate if you understand

Not yet, but with IGN running a whole month on Bloodborne for February we will probably hear more about it soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    "Graphics" is a broad term. The issue is how they characters on screen move and interact. It's very 90's era. There is no fluidity to anything and the player seems to float above the house and street...not walk through it.

I really wish they would hire some new animators. The characters and enemies all move with the same spastic jankyness as weve seen from From Software for years. Compare how they move to characters in the Last of Us. Naughty Dog is a sony studio too....maybe they could lend some expertise.

I really don't know what you are expecting from the game. Not every game can have animation like what Naughty Dog do and From certainly don't have the budget for that. Most of what From do is all hand animated mostly because there's no frame of reference for the creatures they create. Naughty Dog on the other hand only have to animate people and they have a massive team just working on the animation. It's also not hand animated but some really advanced AI system that has been perfected across 4 games. It's probably the most sophisticated AI system that has been programmed so far. Nobody really has come close to Naughty Dog other than Ubisoft Montreal who are another enormous team and I think it's a bit much to expect to expect that from From considering their size budget and how much more work they would need to put in compared to a game like Last of Us.

The characters seeming to float above the ground is a problem with a lot of games and honestly the Last of Us was the only game I played where this wasn't a problem for me.

I used Last of Us and naughty dog as an example of how to do it right, but they aren't the only ones. The Batman games also have very fluid animation on their character models. There are plenty of studios who get it right.

Journey looked great in motion and it was made by a small team. Conversely, Bethesda have oodles of money and a massive team and they are horrible animators too as anybody who plays Fallout or Elder scrolls will attest to. You are using size and money as the deciding factor here and its simply not. It's talent.

You ask what I expect from the game. I don't expect anything. I'm not a needy spouse or child who expects things. I'm a consumer. And as such, I'm going to compare whats out there in the cold light of day. Their animation is poor. You can supply reasons for this and that's fine but it doesn't change that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well there's also another aspect you aren't taking into account, animation blending just isn't possible in all types of games. Something that relies on animation cancelling and/or rapid movement, something that going by the Souls games and the trailers for this is what the whole game design is based on. Something like Bayonetta/DMC would be another example. Animation blending requires a delay between action giving the game a completely different weighty feel which is something that would ruin the Souls games movement mechanics.

That's patently untrue. The movement in Batman feels sharp and responsive and it has plenty of blending.

Kirby wrote: »
    That's patently untrue. The movement in Batman feels sharp and responsive and it has plenty of blending.

It's also a game that doesn't rely on animation cancelling or rapid movements. The animation can also get pretty janky as well with the animation engine 'cheating' by moving objects in a ridiculous manner so that stuff like walls and other objects don't interfer, something that would cause uproar with a game with an actual technical combat system like the Souls games or Bayonetta. Batman just auto locks to an enemy while the games I mention require actual movement and positioning and are very different things to a game using an 'Arkham' type combat system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The animation can also get pretty janky as well with the animation engine 'cheating' by moving objects in a ridiculous manner so that stuff like walls and other objects don't interfer, something that would cause uproar with a game with an actual technical combat system like the Souls games or Bayonetta

Um....Dark souls. Backstabbing. Describes exactly what you just said. How can you be so oblivious to this?

Every game does this. When Batman does it, they don't just "snap" to position. They have blending frames.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Apparently there is a password system to join co-op. Eg. You type a password, and you can only find people using the same password

Hmm. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Some of the best co op experiences I've had in the Souls series came with random people joining my game or me joining theirs. Only two people on my friends list were hardcore souls fans and if they werent on I had to make do with randomers........so I think a lot of people will miss out on co op experiences if this is the only way to play online.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe it's an optional thing like the ring in DS2?

• Advertisement

Yeah I would assume so, similar to the ring.

Advertisement