Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

We were all totally lost at some point don't worry about it.

And the street you're dying on is one of the games hardest sections so don't worry about that either.

Generally you're looking for bosses to progress, but first you want to open shortcuts around the starting area.

Can you get as far as the huge pyre with the giant wolf-thing burning on it? It's surrounded by villagers looking at it? You only have to clear that area once, so once you clear it, go left to where the fountain is, stay on the high ground and hang left, roll through the coffins and keep hanging left until you come to a house. Go straight through, and up the stairs to the left, open the gate.

That should get you off your feet. There's always only a set amount of enemies so speed or anything doesn't matter, once you kill a man he won't be replaced unless you die, so slow down and take it easy.

The hardest part of Soulsborne games is learning how they're to be played, and at the beginning that is slow and methodical until you get into the swing of combat.

If you're really struggling, use pebbles, throw them at someone to lure them out and fight them 1v1.

And getting a dodge is more important that getting a hit, if you trade blows with anyone you'll die, don't trade blows, draw an attack, dodge and counter attack.

There's always a certain amount of struggling until it clicks, but it's fantastic when it does, I'd recommend sticking with it for a while and not getting frustrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

You could always refer to a walkthrough. It won't make the game any easier per se, but it will certainly help you find your feet. Maybe try a video walkthrough so you'll also get a feel for how to attack and the general strategy that needs to be employed throughout the game. Obviously don't rely on them too much because it will spoil the experience for you, but if it helps you break into the game then it will be worthwhile.

Also, don't be afraid to put the controller down. Ideally, every time you die you want to learn something from that death. When not to attack, what area you're not strong enough for just yet, etc. Each death ought to act like a little mini-lesson. But if you're stressed-out and getting increasingly pissed off, then the chances are you're not getting the 'benefit' of being killed. So put the pad away, cool down, and try again later on.

I'm almost finished the game and while I'm confident enough at this stage, I still find it overwhelming. Even right now I'm in a 'cooling off' period. :p

That's the general area, it's literally right after the flaming wolf. It's pretty hard to describe over text, have a lookout next time you get that far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Okay thanks, so should i stay away from the two other routes I just described? Especially those rats, man I hate rats

Yeah rats is on your way to 2nd boss.. if ya saw 2 werewolfs on a bridge, 1st boss is nearby

Oh and dont take on the two wolfs, just run passed, not worth the effort, which more often than not would turn into failure.

nix wrote: »
    Yeah rats is on your way to 2nd boss.. if ya saw 2 werewolfs on a bridge, 1st boss is nearby

Oh and dont take on the two wolfs, just run passed, not worth the effort, which more often than not would turn into failure.

I think he's on about the rats on the way to the Hunter Armour, in which case you should have another go at that place as the armour set is really useful. Rats aren't too bad once you can see when they're about to attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Little tip also, run by the two wolfs, take a left nearly straight after (bloke standing at the top of the steps), go down, two blokes in here but just villagers. The wolfs will follow you down the steps but can't enter, kill them at your leisure, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Okay thanks, so should i stay away from the two other routes I just described? Especially those rats, man I hate rats

I was the exact same, BB was the first souls game I played. I got so annoyed that I couldn't even get by whatever swemed like a simple enemy I didn't play it again for a good while. Then I got Souls 3,on the last boss of that and realised it's worth persevering with. Went back to BB and while I am only on the 4th boss (haven't played too much) I'm enjoying it. But as Pickpocket says I do have to put the controller down if it's starting to annoy me. Surprised I haven't needed to buy a new one to be honest :)

Last night I rang the Small Resonant Bell in the Central Yharnam ares and I was almost immediately demolished by some of the pitchfork wielding locals. Not only were they dealing huge damage, there were actually absorbing some massive hits. I suspect I was summoned into someone's NG+? Is that possible?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Last night I rang the Small Resonant Bell in the Central Yharnam ares and I was almost immediately demolished by some of the pitchfork wielding locals. Not only were they dealing huge damage, there were actually absorbing some massive hits. I suspect I was summoned into someone's NG+? Is that possible?

Yeah, I can't remember how the BB co-op works but it's always been possible to cross NG+ barriers

Yeah, I can't remember how the BB co-op works but it's always been possible to cross NG+ barriers

Cheers.

It serves me right actually. I was acting the hero by running around that area with Ludwig's Holy Blade+8. It was a bit of a wake-up call for what lies ahead in NG+.

• Advertisement

I think he's on about the rats on the way to the Hunter Armour, in which case you should have another go at that place as the armour set is really useful. Rats aren't too bad once you can see when they're about to attack

ah yeah forgot about them being there, but in my defense i completely missed that area on my first play through.. Bloody boxes :mad:

But yeah defo get that armour :P
    Cheers.

It serves me right actually. I was acting the hero by running around that area with Ludwig's Holy Blade+8. It was a bit of a wake-up call for what lies ahead in NG+.

You would go into a loadscreen if called, you dont just appear in their zone :confused:

You can't beat the game 100% and then start the DLC, but you can get up as far as the final boss before starting it.

Digital, back in May you explained to me how the DLC works, but I just want to clarify one point that isn't clear to me.

You said I can't beat the game 100% and then start the DLC, but what if I've already started the DLC before beating the game?

I'm just about to meet Gherman now. Ideally I'd like to wrap up the main game and then return to The Old Hunters at a later date (I need a break!). So when I beat Gherman can I just continue to wander around the world as I can in Dark Souls 3?

It's just that I've read elsewhere that when Bloodborne ends it actually ends and you're forced back to the main menu (or straight into NG+).

Thanks.

No can do, if you beat Gerhman you go to NG+, and the DLC goes with you.

Where in the DLC are you caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

You can back up your save before you kill Gerhman on a usb. Then restore that save and return to the DLC later.

No can do, if you beat Gerhman you go to NG+, and the DLC goes with you.

Where in the DLC are you caught?

Crap!

I'm not stuck on the DLC, yet!. I unlocked it and had a snoop around (it looks phenomenal) but I just feel like leaving it off for a while. I'm mad to start another Souls game and I also like the thought of returning to new Bloodborne content in a few weeks because I've blasted through the main game way too quickly.

It's just annoying being so close the end and not being able to wrap it up.

Woden wrote: »
    You can back up your save before you kill Gerhman on a usb. Then restore that save and return to the DLC later.

That's a great idea. I just want the satisfaction of beating this game today!

Fcuk it I'll just get stuck in now.

Get stuck in, sure you can always take a second run at the game

Well you can beat Gernham and stay provided you have obtained enough umbilical cords, and Gern isnt the vert last boss. Moon presence is, so if you used enough cords, and when you beat Gern, use a hunters mark to leave the battle on Moon presence and come back to him after you've done the DLC, he only gives souls where Gern gives a badge if i recall and you can obtain his set and weapon. If you plan on using his weapon, thats a step you could take instead :)

Well you can beat Gernham and stay provided you have obtained enough umbilical cords, and Gern isnt the vert last boss. Moon presence is, so if you used enough cords, and when you beat Gern, use a hunters mark to leave the battle on Moon presence and come back to him after you've done the DLC, he only gives souls where Gern gives a badge if i recall and you can obtain his set and weapon. If you plan on using his weapon, thats a step you could take instead :)

Yeah I have the three cords! That's great to know, cheers. I'm actually past the first area of The Old Hunters now so I may as well just keep going and finish it out.

By the way, I was helping someone out with Vicar Amelia earlier and he looked like an alien. He didn't seem to have a weapon. Just long, alien-like hands that were casting magic.

Wtf?

• Advertisement

Yeah I have the three cords! That's great to know, cheers. I'm actually past the first area of The Old Hunters now so I may as well just keep going and finish it out.

By the way, I was helping someone out with Vicar Amelia earlier and he looked like an alien. He didn't seem to have a weapon. Just long, alien-like hands that were casting magic.

Wtf?

Yeah its DLC stuff, the head is from a new covenant, and the tentacle hands are a weapon, its an arcane build. You need to have both to unlock all abilites for it :D

Also make sure to use the cords, dont just keep them in your inventory. There only 3 of them and you only need to use 2 to ensure moon shows up after Gern.

Yeah its DLC stuff, the head is from a new covenant, and the tentacle hands are a weapon, its an arcane build. You need to have both to unlock all abilites for it :D

Ha, madness. He must have thought I was trolling him, because we're mid-battle and there's blood flying everywhere, but I'm just running after him to get a look at what gear he's rocking.
    Also make sure to use the cords, dont just keep them in your inventory. There only 3 of them and you only need to use 2 to ensure moon shows up after Gern.

Yeah I have to 'consume' them. More sick imagery from a game that just doesn't know when to quit.

Yeah I managed to run by the wolves, so now I am able to get to the first boss easily, however I die straight away. I have no idea how to approach him.

After I beat the boss will I have a new area to go to? Or even will I be able to open one of the gates earlier on in the area?

As for the rats down by the sewer, I have to admit I am terrified of going down that sewer again the rats are way too graphical for my liking. I'm fine with anything but rats!

When you beat the first boss you get to light a second lantern on the bridge, so when you die that will be your new spawn point. And from there you can explore the next area, which is the sewers.

Just concentrate on beating the first boss for now. It's a good boss fight because it illustrates exactly what you'll be doing for much of the rest of them. Lock on (or not), get in close, wait until he attacks and then strike his back legs.

This is a more comprehensive guide to the Cleric Beast from VaatiVidya.

I've been thumbing through H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories. This is an extract from the short story 'He'.

"The disillusion had been gradual. Coming for the first time upon the town, I had seen it in the sunset from a bridge, majestic above its waters, its incredible peaks and pyramids rising flower-like and delicate from pools of violet mist to play with the flaming golden clouds and the first stars of evening. Then it had lighted up window by window above the shimmering tides where lanterns nodded and glided and deep horns bayed weird harmonies, and itself become a starry firmament of dream, redolent of faery music, and one with the marvels of Carcassonne and Samarcand and El Dorado and all glorious and half-fabulous cities. Shortly afterward I was taken through those antique ways so dear to my fancy—narrow, curving alleys and passages where rows of red Georgian brick blinked with small-paned dormers above pillared doorways that had looked on gilded sedans and panelled coaches—and in the first flush of realisation of these long-wished things I thought I had indeed achieved such treasures as would make me in time a poet."

It's quite reminiscent of the opening sections of Bloodborne.

Could somebody explain to me what X and L1 do. I know it is cross action and transform weapon but I don't know what they mean or what the purpose is.

X is just the bog-standard action button for interacting with objects and people.

L1, as you've pointed out, transforms the weapon. So all of the 'trick' weapons in the game are essentially two weapons rolled into one. Get to know your weapon, its range of attack and what damage it does in both of its forms.

Could somebody explain to me what X and L1 do. I know it is cross action and transform weapon but I don't know what they mean or what the purpose is.

Aye all weapons transform, take the hunters axe for example a one handed axe and when you hit L1 you extend the handle making it a two handed axe, swings are slow but longer reach and hits harder.

Or the kirkhammer for example, normally a one handed sword, weak but very quick, hit L1 and you turn it into a giant hammer that does serious damage and pretty much flattens/halts most enemies in their tracks.

What weapon did you start with fig?

There's 4 cords and you use 3 Pickpocket

Halle Early Pennons, take a few practise runs at him where you just go in and dodge him. Get into position to hit him, but don't put up a fight, just keep dodging his attacks without wasting too many vials until you get competent at dodging him and getting into striking position. Then start taking proper runs at him.

I'd recommend that approach for any bosses you're getting cleaned by tbh, it's always going to depend on your dodging in this game so a few practise runs saves you having to farm 20 vials while you learn to dodge him, just limit yourself to 5 vials a practice run or somethif

I am using the axe. That is very cool, I'm quite surprised with that!

And btw, I finally beat my first boss, it took me hours and hours to get this far but the time was worth it as I feel comfortable killing all the weak opponents. I also discovered the entrance behind the coffins which let me open short cuts as well as enter the sewers. No more bloodborne for today, I am going to search for the second boss tomorrow night, and face my fears and try beat those rats for the armour. I also farmed blood echoes to buy the yharnam gear. I am just so happy I beat my first boss, thanks for the support!

There's no need to look for the armour if you bought the Yarnham Gear. It's the same thing except without the cape on the jacket.

The Yarnham Set is savage, it's strong enough to beat the entire game with, and looks sexy to boot!

• Advertisement

There's 4 cords and you use 3 Pickpocket

Halle Early Pennons, take a few practise runs at him where you just go in and dodge him. Get into position to hit him, but don't put up a fight, just keep dodging his attacks without wasting too many vials until you get competent at dodging him and getting into striking position. Then start taking proper runs at him.

I'd recommend that approach for any bosses you're getting cleaned by tbh, it's always going to depend on your dodging in this game so a few practise runs saves you having to farm 20 vials while you learn to dodge him, just limit yourself to 5 vials a practice run or somethif

Doh, i knew you just didnt have to use them all, my memory has gone to shit. I used to remember every single detail about games, especially ones like these that i played for months :(

But yeah the 2nd boss, is one of the hardest in the game,even starting the game again recently out of boredom he was tough to take down. Best use digitals approach, just practice dodging and learning his moves. Don't be disheartened by this boss, might take you awhile to bring him down, but it will be a few bosses before you run into anything as difficult as him :P

Also check into parrying if you havent done it yet, its when you shoot an enemy just before they land their strike to send them to their knees, then you can follow up with a visceral attack for crazy damage. This is key to making the second boss fight easier, and pretty much all of them after.

Advertisement