Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

Gom died eventually :mad:

No in unseen village, real pain finding some of those bell ringers. Place looks to be the same area as Hypogean Gaol once you get to the church :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gom died eventually :mad:

No in unseen village, real pain finding some of those bell ringers. Place looks to be the same area as Hypogean Gaol once you get to the church :confused:

Yeah found that very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It is Hypogean Gaol, you will see bag men dead all over the shop, you now cant go back to the old Hypogean Gaol. Killing rom made alot of things change, might be worth revisiting some places ;)

nix wrote: »
    It is Hypogean Gaol, you will see bag men dead all over the shop, you now cant go back to the old Hypogean Gaol. Killing rom made alot of things change, might be worth revisiting some places ;)

Going to have to do some reading after i finish this think, with Dark Souls you got boss souls which had valuable insights into lore and the bosses, not seeing that in this. Wondering how Rom and the guy in the chair before the fight fit in, and why killing him altered things. Now I'm hearing a baby crying in unseen village which made me remember an umbilical chord I got much earlier, so I'm thinking I those are related.

Had a quick look at the DLC's first area, and by quick I mean left with my tail between my legs , hunters everywhere and they respawn, not going to be a cake walk I imagine. That said it's a perfect place to practice visceral / gun parry as there are 2 lone hunters right there as you begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How Rom fits in may become clearer as you progress a little.

The guy in the chair is Master Willem, leader of the Healing Church, remember touching Amelia's Skull?

A lot of the lore in this is item descriptions.

Unlike Dark Souls, Bloodborne also has a huge lore explanation book called "The Paleblood Hunt", well worth a read when you've beaten the game, I can link but its easy to find anyways.

• Advertisement

Had a quick look at the DLC's first area, and by quick I mean left with my tail between my legs , hunters everywhere and they respawn, not going to be a cake walk I imagine. That said it's a perfect place to practice visceral / gun parry as there are 2 lone hunters right there as you begin.

You got the right idea, parrying/viscerals make them alot more manageable ;)

The one reborn was a ridiculously easy fight given what came before on the way to it, and his spawning was almost like being born.... starting to see a pattern here, but all I did was stand right next to it and batter it with bolt on my axe, only half way through did I remember the chime maidens from the cutscene and think oh thats where the firebombs are coming from, and kept swinging didn't think to go and kill those :D

Picked up a key earlier and figure it's for that door I mentioned earlier on in cathedral ward at the Healing Church. So I'll go there next before I move on I think.

EDIT: Celestial Emissary down and while I was looking around I saw notes to say physical attack near a wall/window ended up in another boss fight :s Really reminded of me of Seath the Scaleless and how I beat him first time :D

Seriously though bosses overall are pretty poor in this vs the souls titles :(

Again though I'm curious as to how those bosses are tied? Also that altar i can inspect that has a "do nothing" option when i inspect it. Also the baby crying is getting on my nerves .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

You beat Ebrietas first try!? :eek: Have they nerfed her recently? She gave me a hell of a time when i first played through, hardest boss in the base game (Not including the dungeons)

You beat Ebrietas first try!? :eek: Have they nerfed her recently? She gave me a hell of a time when i first played through, hardest boss in the base game (Not including the dungeons)

Didn't even have fire or bolt left after the previous boss. Stood between the tails and hammered away, did summon the NPC but they are just useless in this . Stat wise I've my hunters axe at +9 now and got some nice gems, +18 atk, 12% vs beast. HP 20, 30 Strength, 20 Skill , 20 endurance.

Like I said tough reminded me of Seath in more than just appearance and the area, I battered him first time too in DS and then had hell with him in some future runs. So i'm calling pure luck or getting in the right place on my 1st attempt for this.

Didn't even have fire or bolt left after the previous boss. Stood between the tails and hammered away, did summon the NPC but they are just useless in this . Stat wise I've my hunters axe at +9 now and got some nice gems, +18 atk, 12% vs beast. HP 20, 30 Strength, 20 Skill , 20 endurance.

Like I said tough reminded me of Seath in more than just appearance and the area, I battered him first time too in DS and then had hell with him in some future runs. So i'm calling pure luck or getting in the right place on my 1st attempt for this.

Yeah its odd, depending on your build, or just flat out luck, some bosses can go from easy to absolute nightmare.

I would recommend starting the chalice dungeons also, you can get decent loot from them and they're highly enjoyable. They are the empty gravestones on the other side of the hunter dreams, you get a chalice after killing blood starved beast, which you can use to start them, you should rinse the first 2 or 3 of them at your level..

• Advertisement

She was absolutely crushed with the nerf hammer not long after the games release if that's when you played, easily the hardest boss in the game, bested only by the Chalice Dungeons Headless Bloodletting Beast, and then, The Orphan. He's the only Soulsborne boss I've never beaten. I'm a fraud.

*disclaimer* I've only fought him NG++ and probably only have 10-15 attempts. And yes I've beaten Laurence.

I think the more of these games you play the less amazing you find the bosses, in reality, only 4-5 bosses in any given game aren't great, but if you've played 3 or 4 of the games very few stand out. Especially when people tend to pick up Dark Souls 6 years late, are blown away by it, so play Dark Souls 2 a few weeks later, 4(?) years late and then a few weeks later play Bloodborne 3 years late. I'm not saying you have to play the games at launch or anything, but if this is the standard you've been given for the last 2-3 games you've played (so 60+ boss fights), you can see how it may get a little stale.

All my opinion obviously, it took a while before I realised why I didn't care for Dark Souls 3, it was that I didn't care for Dark Souls at that time, I was burned out, I guess maybe its something similar but restricted to being meh about bosses instead of men about games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yeah i binge played it on the day of release, had about 5 days or so off work for it with no other obligations. I played it again when the Old Hunters was released but not sure if i just skipped her and went straight for the DLC ASAP.

As for bosses becoming stale when you play more of the souls games i kinda disagree. I started with Demon's Soul's and i think Dark Souls 3 has easily some of the best fights in the series. Maybe not the hardest because through experience we get better at these games and your first game will most likely be the hardest game for you (Flamelurker you fiend). Dark Souls 3 adding phases to most of the fights really ups the hype/tension levels when fighting them. The Abyss Watchers really blew me out of the water, then Sister Friede trumped it.

But i suppose i didn't jump from one game to the other. Long periods of not playing a Souls inbetween the release of each game...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's such a satisfying game! I'm not that good but I'm willed to keep trying. I think I'm about to face a boss though. There is a door at the top of Cathedral Ward which looks ominous. Cue hours and hours of grinding. :D

I found a little walkway to the left of that door which led to the Hemwick Charnel Lane. Might explore around there for a bit before creaking open that door!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It's such a satisfying game! I'm not that good but I'm willed to keep trying. I think I'm about to face a boss though. There is a door at the top of Cathedral Ward which looks ominous. Cue hours and hours of grinding. :D

I found a little walkway to the left of that door which led to the Hemwick Charnel Lane. Might explore around there for a bit before creaking open that door!

You'll be grand this one's a kitten compared to Gascoigne at that stage of the game, just be sure to get the shortcuts open to save you having to fight your way back in the the event of a fail.

You'll be grand this one's a kitten compared to Gascoigne at that stage of the game, just be sure to get the shortcuts open to save you having to fight your way back in the the event of a fail.

Yes I was delighted to finally find some working levers!

Is there a need to change weapons throughout the game? I started with the axe and pistol and have grown fond of them.

Is there a need to change weapons throughout the game? I started with the axe and pistol and have grown fond of them.

Started with the same ones, tried the spear and cleaver for a while and changed back, played 80% of the game so far with the axe. The charge attack on the axe is great and it's range is nice too, and that charge attack can go through cover in place so use that to your advantage when ever possible.

There isn't, one of the best things about the Soulsborne games if that all the starting equipment is completely fine at the end game, you don't find better weapons and armour, just different sets.

The Hunter Set and Threaded Cane is 100% of the time my armour and second weapon

Think I'm at or very close to the end now. Does it push you to NG+ or can you play on? Think I'll back up my save anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

There isn't, one of the best things about the Soulsborne games if that all the starting equipment is completely fine at the end game, you don't find better weapons and armour, just different sets
    I'd agree that the starting sets in BB are competitive with everything else but with the range of weapons in DS some are objectively better than the starters. Anri's sword and the sunlight sword versus the standard longsword in DS3 springs to mind.

Think I'm at or very close to the end now. Does it push you to NG+ or can you play on? Think I'll back up my save anyway.
    Pushes you IIRC. If you want the plat you can cheese all 3 endings at NG difficulty by downloading a pre-final boss save from the cloud.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Pushes you IIRC. If you want the plat you can cheese all 3 endings at NG difficulty by downloading a pre-final boss save from the cloud.

Oh great to know thanks, so it's not as complex as DS3 ending requirements. I'll plough on ahead and finish and reload and do what ever I've missed.

Oh great to know thanks, so it's not as complex as DS3 ending requirements. I'll plough on ahead and finish and reload and do what ever I've missed.
    It is possible to lock yourself out of one of the endings if you didn't get
    three one-third of umbilical cord
    and you'll have to do NG+ to get that.

If you have the DLC you might want to try that before challenging the last boss

It is possible to lock yourself out of one of the endings if you didn't get
    three one-third of umbilical cord
    and you'll have to do NG+ to get that.

If you have the DLC you might want to try that before challenging the last boss

I'd 2 on me , did a quick google and found 2 more, wondered where the prostitute lady disappeared to. That combined with the lore on the item in question is huge :eek:

PREY SLAUGHTERED

That never fails to delight! :P

I caught fire today for some reason, that's the Witch of Hemwick and Vicar Amelia down. It's amazing how stripped down From's games are. The challenge is simply between you and the enemy.

In countless other games you might have control issues, camera problems, environmental obstacles etc. Almost none of that exists here; minor issues at most.

And on we go!

Quit for the night on Martyr Logarius missing something there, second phase is nearly impossible to get near and to do anything but run for cover and spam healing.

I'd agree that the starting sets in BB are competitive with everything else but with the range of weapons in DS some are objectively better than the starters. Anri's sword and the sunlight sword versus the standard longsword in DS3 springs to mind.

Yeah I'll agree there are normally good alternatives, but Longsword, Broadsword, Sorcerers Catalyst etc are all solid end game weapons, they're not the best but you're by no means gimped with starting stuff, compared to BOTW or Dragons Dogma for example, where your first ten weapons are "Crappy Rusted POS Sword/Spear/Axe"

Finally beat Martyr Logarius had him close a couple of times and got greedy and choked. The run I eventually beat him on was a much cleaner one and somewhat lucky he felt far less aggressive on the ground and took to his jump move more which I realised from watching video all you have to his step right after which he is wide open. Also figuring out why I was getting blasted with magic in second phase helped.

Had a look at the chalice dungeons too, dark souls could have had those too surely, would have been an end game of sorts. How much work am I looking at to get that trophy? I'm assuming I'll have to play them all at least once if for nothing else that mats to open the next ones and get to the final boss?

Had a look at the chalice dungeons too, dark souls could have had those too surely, would have been an end game of sorts. How much work am I looking at to get that trophy? I'm assuming I'll have to play them all at least once if for nothing else that mats to open the next ones and get to the final boss?
    If not the dungeons a boss rush mode would be perfect too. I ground out to level 152 to beat it but I wasn't very focused and can't parry. The second last boss (or the last boss of the second last dungeon, it's been a while) you have to do is by far the worst.

Finally beat Martyr Logarius had him close a couple of times and got greedy and choked. The run I eventually beat him on was a much cleaner one and somewhat lucky he felt far less aggressive on the ground and took to his jump move more which I realised from watching video all you have to his step right after which he is wide open. Also figuring out why I was getting blasted with magic in second phase helped.

I have it in my head you have to beat all the dungeons and dlc for the platinum, I've a fairly comprehensive dungeon guide (they're very straightforward) a few pages back if you have a look.

Its an easy platinum, its not hard just a bit of a timesink

• Advertisement

If not the dungeons a boss rush mode would be perfect too. I ground out to level 152 to beat it but I wasn't very focused and can't parry. The second last boss (or the last boss of the second last dungeon, it's been a while) you have to do is by far the worst.

By a mile, the most difficult boss From Soft have ever pulled. Second last boss of the last dungeon. Last boss of the second last dungeon is piss in comparison.

Advertisement