Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alamo scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

They tried that with me last summer, funny thing was i had rented a ford focus and they tried billing me for a chevrolet something or other with bumper and windscreen damage. After the trouble i had with them throughout the rental i sent them a hefty angry email and they never wrote back. Changed my card and cut up the old one just incase they tried to charge it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Had a very bad experience with Alamo out of SF, after being shown a row of SUVs to choose from, we asked two seperate people, and again on the way out if they were 4x4s as we were heading to Tahoe to ski.

Only when we got to Napa, did we discover that we had rented a front wheel drive pretend SUV.

Barely made it to the hotel after having to have snow chains fitted at our own expense. Alamo admitted no responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for the heads-up. I am already booked with Alamo via EconomyCarRentals.com so I won't be able to avoid them :-)

A related question, can anyone confirm that my Irish Drivers Licence is sufficient for Alamo? I don't want to spend 10/15 Euro getting an International Driving Permit if I won't need it.

Thanks.

My irish licence was grand. No need for an aditional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Manuel wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up. I am already booked with Alamo via EconomyCarRentals.com so I won't be able to avoid them :-)

A related question, can anyone confirm that my Irish Drivers Licence is sufficient for Alamo? I don't want to spend 10/15 Euro getting an International Driving Permit if I won't need it.

Thanks.

An international driving permit would be a complete waste of money in your case. All it does is translate the details of your actual license into the more commonly spoken languages, such as English. It would be a handy thing to have if (for example) you are coming from China & you going to an English speaking/writing country. In that case, the clerk at the rental desk would not be understand the letter/characters on your your license. As your license is already in English and you are going to an English speaking country, there is no need to get an international driving permit. Your Irish license will do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    An international driving permit would be a complete waste of money in your case. All it does is translate the details of your actual license into the more commonly spoken languages, such as English. It would be a handy thing to have if (for example) you are coming from China & you going to an English speaking/writing country.

The Chinese don't allow tourists to rent cars believe it or not. ;)

I hire cars a lot as I travel a lot and I'm a stickler for inspecting the car. If the car was dirty I wouldn't take it as it covers dirt.

One time I was hiring a car late from an airport and it was too dark to inspect the car so I had the rental company agree that I had until 11am the next morning to phone them with any problems.

If you are in anyway anxious about getting stung take a photo of each side of the car at time of renting and drop off. It may seem pedantic but will save hassle. I've never had any problems with any rental company as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

faceman wrote: »
    The Chinese don't allow tourists to rent cars believe it or not. ;)

Doesn't have to be Chinese. I was just using them as an example of a country whose main language would use letters and characters that the average English speaker would not be able to read or understand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

International licenses are handy for speeding tickets ;)

wish i knew that last year when i got stopped by the CHP outside mojave for going a "tad" bit over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I booked a jeep with Alamo in March in Las Vegas. I used car hire 3000. I found Alamo excellent. Jeep was new and clean and the package I purchased for an extra €50 included a free tank of fuel (worth $50) and 3 additional drivers for the week. Had no issues on return. The sat nav hire was expensive ($70 for a week) so I didn't take it. I just drove to a Walmart beside the airport and picked up a Garmin for $80 with lane assist and free maps for life. At least I will have it for another trip. They try and sell you extra insurance (personal injury and breakdown cover), as do all the rental companies but I declined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

I'm heading to Alaska in a few weeks and renting with Alamo. I will take photos before and after but is there anything else I should look out for. Am I better getting my own insurance company from here to extend my insurance to cover hire cars instead of using Alamo's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I dont think your irish company will cover you,and if you can get the alamo rep to sign a letter saying the car has been returned without any damage, ps is it too late to use another company, or at least mail alamo about your concerns.

Advertisement