Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Netflix editing the closing credits/other stuff on some shows?

• 02-05-2014 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

So, because I jumped ship last time at Season 4, Ive decided to slowly rewatch the U.S. version of The Office over the past couple of weeks and Ive noticed Netflix seemed to have done something strange with the closing credits.

They're silent.

I dont seem to remember them been like that when they first aired?

Also, early in Season 2 when Michael buys a condo and then has a borderline panic attack, wasnt there a scene over the closing credits where he curls up into a ball and starts making noises?

Did I dream that? Was I drunk when I first watched them? :pac:

Have they done any similar chopping to TV (or even film) titles?

I seem to remember some licensing problems with The Wonder Years, and yes Wiki has just confirmed it

For many years, The Wonder Years remained unreleased on DVD as official season box sets, allegedly due to music licensing issues.[27] Because of this issue, The Wonder Years routinely appeared high on the list of TV shows in-demand for a DVD release.[28][29][30] Some episodes of the series were included in two official "best-of" DVD sets (The Best of The Wonder Years and The Christmas Wonder Years) without the original music.[29][31] Anchor Bay also released two volumes (four episodes total) on VHS in 1997.[32]

In a blog update on the Netflix website on March 30, 2011,[33] and a press release issued the next day,[34] Netflix stated that they would be adding The Wonder Years to their instant streaming service. The other three 20th Century Fox series noted as part of the deal were added to the Watch Instantly service by April 2,[35][36][37] while The Wonder Years remained unavailable. On October 1, 2011,[38] 114 full-length episodes of the series were added to Netflix streaming. The clip show from the end of Season 4, which was released on DVD, has not been included.[39]

On September 26, 2011, it was announced that Amazon Prime's streaming video service would be adding The Wonder Years, describing the series as "available on digital video for the first time",[40] although Netflix added the series ahead of Amazon's release. All 115 episodes (including the clip show) became available to Prime members starting October 6, 2011.[41]

On both digital streaming services, portions of the soundtrack have been replaced. The show's opening theme, Joe Cocker's rendition of The Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends," has been replaced on Netflix[42] and Amazon with the version of the song that played in the UK and other overseas airings. The majority of the show's soundtrack remains unchanged. Songs such as "Light My Fire" by The Doors and "Foxy Lady" by Jimi Hendrix have been replaced by generic sound-alikes with different lyrics.

Are Netflix editing the closing credits/other stuff on some shows?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The DVD version of Love/Hate season 1 replaces all the music with rubbish elevator muzak, presumably for licensing rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's likely mostly copyright issues. Music is licensed for a specific purpose, so they may have paid $X to get music for US and international television broadcast, but their rights did not include web-streaming. They could then cough up $Y - which is whatever the copyright owner decides - or they can just strip or replace the music for free/cheaply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

hardCopy wrote: »
    The DVD version of Love/Hate season 1 replaces all the music with rubbish elevator muzak, presumably for licensing rights.

Interesting! Considering that original songs play such a big part in the overall feel of the show.

Im presuming Stuart Carolan sorted out licensing rights for the rest of the DVD releases?

Happens all the time especially with shows which aired before the age of home media. Tour of Duty had an exceptional soundtrack but when released on DVD in the US all the music was replaced with generic noise. Was only when released in the UK that we got the original soundtrack back, albeit with a few songs still missing, though they did find suitable replacements. Unlike the TV show Life which just populated the home versions with music you'd find when on hold with a phone provider.

Also remember when watching on Netflix that the credits are often cut sorry when it skips to the next episode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also remember when watching on Netflix that the credits are often cut sorry when it skips to the next episode.
    But you can disable it from skipping to the next episode and then it always plays the credits in full.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    But you can disable it from skipping to the next episode and then it always plays the credits in full.

That you can but then you have to watch the opening credits to any show which starts with them. Not having to watch or skip through the credits can be a Godsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Interesting! Considering that original songs play such a big part in the overall feel of the show.

Im presuming Stuart Carolan sorted out licensing rights for the rest of the DVD releases?

Nope. They simply don't have the budget to license all the music they want to use. RTE have a blanket agreement for music used on their own programs but only for broadcast not for home rental/streaming release unfortunately.

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Nidge's wedding scene was particularly bad without the original music

Skip to 24 seconds in, this includes the original music but shows why the original music needed to be kept.

Skip to 24 seconds in, this includes the original music but shows why the original music needed to be kept.

Jesus but is that what's called music these days. Absolutely painful to listen to though I can see how the whole "1,2,3,4" bit would look even more woeful with different music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They'd be better off replacing that music. The whole scene was cringe inducing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Do you ever watch a movie on RTE?

they don't show credits at all. The just go "The End" and straight to ad's!!!

Jesus but is that what's called music these days. Absolutely painful to listen to though I can see how the whole "1,2,3,4" bit would look even more woeful with different music.

Nidge's wedding was never going to be a tasteful affair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

stevieob wrote: »
    Do you ever watch a movie on RTE?

they don't show credits at all. The just go "The End" and straight to ad's!!!

Most channels have been doing that for the past few years. Either the credits are ran at triple speed or "The End" comes up straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

To answer the original question regarding netflix treatment of end credits. I watch on PS3, media player and ipad. Since the introduction of the auto-play option the end credits are displayed in a separate window for a period of 17 odd seconds while it queues up the next episode, unless its an end of season. This could account for anything missing from the credits.

In relation to Love/hate, i watched them all on netflix and don't honestly know if i got the original music or the cheap ****e, i must look into it. Funny that the wedding clip is mentioned in this thread as the US office did a far more tasteful version (if such a thing exists) of that "dance down the aisle" internet fad.

Advertisement