Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetable/herb garden for a newbie!

• 02-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

BF has dug out a little section in the back garden along the fence. About 6ft x 3 ft. What vegetables are easy to grow? Herbs? Any do/don't advice? Any tips for me? (I'm not green fingered at all but willing to give this a go!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not sure about 'along the fence'. Does it get sunshine or is it shaded by the fence? Don't plant within about a foot or so of the fence anyway as there could well be a dry patch caused by the fence. If it is facing south or south-west you should be ok. Rake it well and make sure you have got any weed roots out, you may need to get a bag of manure (it will be non-smelly!) to rake in. If you do that don't plant carrots this year as they don't like newly fertilised soil.

Its quite a small plot, big enough to get started but you won't be growing any 'main crop' veg in it. Your main problem is going to be stopping slugs and snails from eating everything, so you might want to put some beer traps down.

Everyone has their own ideas of what to plant, but I think I would start some runner beans indoors, now, put a few beans into a saucer on a piece of kitchen paper with water until they show signs of splitting, then pop them into compost in small pots to develop into small plants. You can then transplant them into the soil with a wigwam of canes for them to climb up. 4 long (6ft) canes about a foot apart in a square, tied together at the top. Then tie a length of string at the bottom and wind it round the four canes, tying it to some of the canes as you go up, to give the beans something to hold on to. Start picking the beans when they are about 5 or 6 inches long and they will keep producing as long as you keep picking (up to a point!).

Scallions (spring onions) are easy and the slugs don't bother with them. Radishes the same, and very quick. You could plant some thyme, parsley, sage, oregano, all easy and best grown from plants, you only need one of each. I would not bother with lettuce in the open garden, grow some mixed salad leaves in a pot of compost, sow a tiny bit of seed at a time and add more two or three weeks later to keep the supply going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A salad leaf mix is very nice, we grow pak choi and mustad for example which is great in salads or stir fries, the mustard leafs give a nice extra kick, rocket would have similar effect too. Garlic chives are another nice easy veg to grow and taste great added to sambos and salads. Beans are great as already said, sugar snaps and mangetout would be my preferred choice as they can be eaten raw or cooked. If the spot is warm and gets a good bit of sun why not try cucumber , its vertical and thus takes up very little space.
    I'm giving some Centiflor Tomatoes[ a try this year. My old man grows them every year and gets loads from each bush so in a small patch i'd add one of those too if you can find one already started in the likes of Woodies or a garden centre (probably too late to start from seed now).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thank you very much,very helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

You can't go wrong with onions or garlic (for next season...). You could bring on some lettuce inside on your windowsill and plant out when 5" or so. Remember to harden them off first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

• Advertisement

Can most things be grown in a pot, or is it best they are in the ground? I am getting a little confused as some things need different soils and how can I manage to give one crop X and not allow Y to have it? I'm looking at lettuce, garlic, onions, herbs (I'll just keep these in a pot?) and maybe some peppers/sweetcorn and strawberries/blueberries? Is this possible? What should I keep separate in pots? Can I plant straight into the ground or do I need to start them off in a pot first & then transfer them? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

As a beginner i would start with small plants available in shops. herbs, strawberries and salad in pots. blueberries grow on a bush. you can use growbags also. you might be a little late for onions and garlic. an easy plant to grow is courgettes.sweetcorn is hit and miss in our climate.

Thanks, went to Lidl & purchased a couple of packs of seeds.
    If they don't grow this year, will they grow next year?
    Got cucumber seeds as I don't really eat courgettes.
    Also got lettuce, onions and cherry tomatoes.
    Tomorrow = planting day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Have fun with it, radishes are so quick and fun to grow. Pity you don't like couregttes as they are the most prolific food crop you can grow. DONT grow mint, it will take over the whole plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can most things be grown in a pot, or is it best they are in the ground? I am getting a little confused as some things need different soils and how can I manage to give one crop X and not allow Y to have it? I'm looking at lettuce, garlic, onions, herbs (I'll just keep these in a pot?) and maybe some peppers/sweetcorn and strawberries/blueberries? Is this possible? What should I keep separate in pots? Can I plant straight into the ground or do I need to start them off in a pot first & then transfer them? Thanks.
    Most things can be grown in pots. But you have to be more on top of watering compared to in the ground though. You can use growbags for a lot of stuff too - lettuce, herbs, strawberries on your list at least. Also blueberries are often grown in containers as they have quite specific requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't get overly fussed about soil requirements, the vast majority of things will grow in any reasonable soil. If you are feeding you need different feeds for green leaf and fruiting plants, but you can apply those locally.

Advertisement