Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neglected polytunnel/greenhouse.HELP

• 02-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

long story which ye don t need to hear but basically my poor garden s been neglected with last 2 years and my polytunnel/greenhouse(plastic one not glass)are seriously overgrown with all kinds of everything!now its time to re garden and not sure where to start!realistically tis too late in the season for me to attempt to grow in the tunnel but i did dig out the greenhouse tonight!!my question is...wat s the best way to clean all the green/sludge off the plastic????and how soon can i plant veg there again once cleaned??also around outside is a state too and i need to use round up to regain some control...how long shud i leave between nuking the weeds and planted in the green house....and if i nuke in the polytunnel with round up.how soon can i plant there ??tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It is not too late to start growing in either of them. It's the perfect time to get going. If you are too late with certain things from seed then buy plants in.
    There's an organic product called Citrox for cleaning tunnels and greenhouses. Or elbow grease and hot soapy water will work wonders.
    Don't like roundup so can't advise. I do know that a fork, some muscle and persistence can overcome weeds just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vonniethegreat

thanks for reply!gonna get out the washing up liquid tomorrow!! greenhouse cleared by hand......polytunnel will be a bigger job though and my back isn t able for it so gonna have to use round up!!how soon after using this product is it safe to plant veg in the soil does anyone know???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

thanks for reply!gonna get out the washing up liquid tomorrow!! greenhouse cleared by hand......polytunnel will be a bigger job though and my back isn t able for it so gonna have to use round up!!how soon after using this product is it safe to plant veg in the soil does anyone know???
    If you are eating stuff out of a polytunnel it would be in your best interest not to use any kind of weedkiller in it.
    Remember that there is no rain to wash away herbicide residues and what you put in may last a very long time.

Lay carpet over the weeds or old cardboard boxes, black plastic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vonniethegreat

..tnx..that makes sense!not planning on planting there this year anyway so gonna follow your advise and strim and cover with carpet!!!have my green house cleared out!!!...but creeping buttercup taking over all around the outside and practically growing up the outside of the walls...wud it be safe to spray there with round up and still plant veg in greenhouse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

I cleaned inside my tunnel with a soft sweeping brush, warm water and washing up liquid. It came up great. I'm a no weed killer too where food is concerned. What I did last year was cover everything in cardboard and bought loads of grow bag and planted straight into them. Aldi had them at under €3 each and they did great for tomatoes, courgettes and salads. Im lucky, I have hens and ducks and I put them in the tunnel for about 4 weeks each winter and they clear all the weeds away. Is it possible to pull up/dig out the buttercups? If spraying is the only option then mix up the solution but don't spray, instead use a small painting brush and paint it on the leaves, this way the spray wont drift anywhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement