Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday Monday in Dingle

Options
  • 02-05-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy.

I just found out that I will be spending Bank Holiday Monday in Dingle, acting as tour guide for some visiting family members. I have never been to the Dingle area before. Any suggestions for decent things to do, or fun events, or festivals that are bank holiday specific? The Yanks that I will have in tow, will have already done the Ring Of Kerry & Kilarney stuff, as have I. So anything that is a wee bit different from the traditional touristy stuff would be most welcome.

I've read up on the place on the interweb, but you can't beat a bit of local knowledge. Ta. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

There are plenty of the usual "touristy" things - depending on the weather, the age of your guests etc.

Féile na Bealtaine ends on Monday and you might find something to attract them there - http://feilenabealtaine.ie/home/category/2014/5th/ plus many of the exhibitions will still be open in the Blasket centre, The Lab in Dingle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cheers, thanks for that.

One more question if I may...what is the most scenic way to drive from Killarney to Dingle?

Google Maps suggests:

1. The N22 via Tralee as the quickest way to go. Sounds quite dull.

2. The N72 as far as Killorglin, the N70 as far as Tralee & then the N86 as far as Dingle.

There isn't all that much difference in the two times, so we aren't that fussed either way.

3. There is also a smaller road (the R561) that cuts across the N70 & takes a more direct route to Dingle from Castlemaine onwards. What is that road like? I have a fair bit of experience driving on narrow country roads. So unless it is a totally crap or dangerous road, I am tempted to be adventurous and take that route, especially if the views are worth it. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ProudDUB wrote: »

One more question if I may...what is the most scenic way to drive from Killarney to Dingle?

Best way - used by all locals - is via Milltown, Castlemaine and Inch. Shortest and with good views too for parts of the way.

From Killarney go towards Fossa on the N70, turn right to the R563 to Milltown, rejoin the N70, on to Castlemaine and turn left in the village to the R561. The road is fine - beware of a narrow bridge in Listry and the Main St in Milltown where you have to yield to N70 traffic as it enters from your left.
    This will avoid Annascaul village which has a fair on Monday - or pop in if you feel like it.

For the return trip you could go to Tralee via the Conor Pass and back to Killarney that way; it's not that much longer - but only if the weather is clear. Views are excellent - have a quick look at the hills in Dingle - if you can see the tops it's fine, if you can't don't bother.

That's brilliant. Thanks. The fair in Annascaul sounds great. I know that they would love to get away from the plastic Paddy shenanigans of Killarney & experience a bit of the "real" Ireland. :)

We are driving to Limerick on the Tuesday, so this will be a once off trip from Killarney to Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Slea Head Drive. Its a fairly short drive but its starts and ends in Dingle, takes maybe 2-3 hours. Its worth it!

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g194237-d498906-Reviews-Slea_Head_Drive-Dingle_Peninsula_County_Kerry.html

http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/sleahead.html

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks. As long as I am not made write an essay, about yer wan, Peig Sayers, it's gonna be a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lottpaul wrote: »
    Best way - used by all locals - is via Milltown, Castlemaine and Inch. Shortest and with good views too for parts of the way.

From Killarney go towards Fossa on the N70, turn right to the R563 to Milltown, rejoin the N70, on to Castlemaine and turn left in the village to the R561. The road is fine - beware of a narrow bridge in Listry and the Main St in Milltown where you have to yield to N70 traffic as it enters from your left.
    This will avoid Annascaul village which has a fair on Monday - or pop in if you feel like it.

For the return trip you could go to Tralee via the Conor Pass and back to Killarney that way; it's not that much longer - but only if the weather is clear. Views are excellent - have a quick look at the hills in Dingle - if you can see the tops it's fine, if you can't don't bother.

perfect! was going to say the same. if you have time for slea head drive it would be the icing on the cake. a total breathtaking glory.

Advertisement