Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best toilet training technique/book?

Options
  • 02-05-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

My little lady is 2 and 3 months. She is showing interest in using the toilet and potty etc. We have done nothing except have had the potty lying around and she plays on it occasionally and uses it as a step to brush her teeth - it's has a lid to convert it to a step! Just wondering where we go from here - she keeps asking to go and will occasionally tell us when she poos but I'm not convinced she's ready.. And she's fiercely independent and I think she'd be upset if she had accidents. Basically just want to know if I should try her occasionally on the potty and toilet or if when I'm doing it - i should go for it and try do it in a week or what? I'm a bit confused and overwhelmed - I don't know why I haven't thought about this before!
    Is the Gina forde (not generally a fan!) or anyone else book any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Do you mean for you or for her?

I have found that having lots of story books with children going to the potty / toilet on them helped my girl.

This one is her favourite (I think she identifies with Princess Polly!)

http://www.bookdepository.com/Princess-Pollys-Potty-Ladybird-Potty-Training-Book-Andrea-Pinnington/9781409302193

and this one - it has stickers!!!!
    http://www.bookdepository.com/My-Potty-Book-for-Girls/9781405311250

Oh and this story really helps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkvdte4ZIFE

You can simply re-tell it yourself to her, or if you have an iPad she can watch it while she sits and waits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I read a goid technique for doing it. Saved it on my laptop so will paste tomorrow.

It gives an idea what signs to look for to know if your child is ready. Cant remember but will tell you tomorrow.

Then to train what she suggested was get up in the morning and go about normal routine have brekkie etc. Then at 9am. Take nappy off and put pants on. Also get favoruite teddy/doll and maybe put panys on it too.

The sit at kitchen table and go about nirmal routine doing drawing/jigsaws etc. But get child to drink alot (recommended juice or something that they dont normally get so they will drink alot). Have teddy at table drinking too and drawing. Make sure they drink a good bit.

Then at 10am teddy whispers in your ear that he needs toilet. Make a big song and dance on the way. Pull down pants then have a lil glass of water and poor into toilet/potty so child can hear it. Then maks a big fuss if teddy and celebrate.
    Then back to the table for more drink and play. 15mins later teddy whispers again then off you go again dancing singing etc making it fun. Teddy pees(you pour in water) anx celevrate.

This continues every 15mins untill 11. Then teddy whispers that child needs to go. Big sing and dance to the bathroom and sit child on and wait. ...

ill get it all for you tomorrow but i thought this sounded good. As having fun. Havent tried it as A has just turned 2 but will be the method ill try i think.
    It does have a list if signs your child is ready and i know A isnt yet.
    But for months now we sit her on the toilet some mornings but every evening while she brushes her teeth just so she is used to it and not afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

I have an e book that the manager at our creche sent me that I could email on to you Dublinlady if you'd like? its just a pdf version

Its a 3 day method, we used it with our little girl over xmas and she was dry by the third day. She trained at 21 months, same as your little girl fiercely independent and had started telling us about poos, so we said while we are all in the house over xmas we would try it, and it worked. She will only get upset if she has an accident in front of her friends at daycare, but thankfully that hasn't happened very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

bstar wrote: »
    I have an e book that the manager at our creche sent me that I could email on to you Dublinlady if you'd like? its just a pdf version

Its a 3 day method, we used it with our little girl over xmas and she was dry by the third day. She trained at 21 months, same as your little girl fiercely independent and had started telling us about poos, so we said while we are all in the house over xmas we would try it, and it worked. She will only get upset if she has an accident in front of her friends at daycare, but thankfully that hasn't happened very often.

I'd be interested in that too bstar if that's ok? I'll pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I too would be interested in this. We have a 23 months old little fella that is showing signs of wanting to be nappy free. Although he is sick at the moment so we are waiting until he is better to try to train him so it will be next week. Will PM.

• Advertisement

Ooh id also be interested. As i didnt try the other method yet. But havin her trained at 21 mnths wow. Will also send pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Me too please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Brilliant p.m'd u!
    Thanks!!

We going on hols soon so think I'll try at end may - she'll be 27 months then and I think quite keen herself, we can always retreat if it doesn't go well!! But I so need the guidance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eishaa

Bstar would you mind mailing it to me too please ? Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

I've emailed it on to everyone who Pm'd me their email. If you'd like a copy and didn't get it pm your address.

We kind of winged it on basics of the book, but I do know the person who wrote the book has a money back gaurantee (if you actually bought it and it didnt work for you). The start of the book has a few pages about signs of readiness aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Musiclovebug

Could I get a copy of this also please 😄 thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I've emailed it on to everyone who Pm'd me their email. If you'd like a copy and didn't get it pm your address.

We kind of winged it on basics of the book, but I do know the person who wrote the book has a money back gaurantee (if you actually bought it and it didnt work for you). The start of the book has a few pages about signs of readiness aswell.

I'd love a copy too. Will PM email address now. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Could I get a copy too?

I'm wondering tho am I being stupid trying now. I'm due baby no 2 in 10 weeks. too much in one go? she's 2 since April. asks to be changed after a poo and tells you when she's done a wee. She's terrified of the toilet (when you ask does she wanna sit on It her reply is I don't like that).
    She will sit on the potty but only if you read her a story and has never gone in it.

Could I get a copy too?

I'm wondering tho am I being stupid trying now. I'm due baby no 2 in 10 weeks. too much in one go? she's 2 since April. asks to be changed after a poo and tells you when she's done a wee. She's terrified of the toilet (when you ask does she wanna sit on It her reply is I don't like that).
    She will sit on the potty but only if you read her a story and has never gone in it.

Id say leave it. A tells me when she poos has all the signs and i started to try. Was about 3 weeks ago now. I have a 9 week old. Day 1 loads of accidents. Day 2 . 5 wees and a poo in the potty and only 3 accidents. That night newbor was up nearly all night. I still have spd and was bad at that time so day 3 was a disaster. Newborn was in awful form. I didnt have a chance to give toddler my full attention . After accident no 4 my back was broke. Toddler cried every time she had an accident as i had to put newborn down so he roared which made her cry. I was wrecked so by 2 pm i put a nappy on and left it at that.
    She was doing great but i just wasnt able to perservere. Will try again once newborn is much more settled. Also being stuck at home was driving me demented. .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I can only advise for toilet training boys but with our boys, waiting until they were tall enough to stand up and go to the toilet the same way as their dad worked best. They were both around 2 and a half years old when they were tall enough.
    We had a few trial attempts with a potty, but they didn't show that much interest.
    By the second day things were working well. No advice for girls though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can I have a copy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Can I have a copy of the book. MANY THANKS . I will PM now if I am able!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭calculator

Could I have a copy of the book too please? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Any chance I can get.a copy too...?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Just wanted to give up an update on how potty training went for us. My daughter is 2.5 and while I didn't follow this book to a t, I did use an adapted version of the technique and it took less than a week to train my daughter. We had lots of accidents on days 1 and 2, 2 accidents each on days 3 and 4 and 1 accident each day on days 5 and 6. She still wears a nappy at night but vert rarely wets it.
    I highly recommend this book :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

I'd love a copy too!! Will pm now. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

I'd love a copy too!! Will pm now. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of this floating about?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

could i get a copy please. i have a two and a half year old i will try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 feebee12

I would love a copy too please. Thank you

Advertisement