Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bones for a bichon frise

• 02-05-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone reccomend what raw bones I should get for a 14 month old bichon frise? I need on that would clean his teeth as I notice some tartar on his back teeth and he won't tolerate a tooth brush at all!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rightly or wrongly, I prefer to give smaller dogs a bit of experience of chewing bones by starting them off on chicken wing tips, graduating them on to the whole wing gradually as they prove they can manage it: I have even held on to one end of the wing while they chew the other :o
    You can also use the cartilage-y triangle on the chicken breastbone as a starter-outer too.
    I have an older dog here who I don't feel manages wings as well as she used to, so I cut them into bite-sized chunks for her, which she deals with easily. Others smash the bones with a mallet, keeping the shape of the wing intact, but the bones in it smashed up a bit. I like the idea of this, but at the same time worry a bit about sharp edges and splinters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DBB wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, I prefer to give smaller dogs a bit of experience of chewing bones by starting them off on chicken wing tips, graduating them on to the whole wing gradually as they prove they can manage it: I have even held on to one end of the wing while they chew the other :o
    You can also use the cartilage-y triangle on the chicken breastbone as a starter-outer too.
    I have an older dog here who I don't feel manages wings as well as she used to, so I cut them into bite-sized chunks for her, which she deals with easily. Others smash the bones with a mallet, keeping the shape of the wing intact, but the bones in it smashed up a bit. I like the idea of this, but at the same time worry a bit about sharp edges and splinters.

chicken wings are great and yes i share the concern re sharp edges if the are artificially broken up.

an alternative might be a bigger marrowbone that they are not going to chew bits off easily but gnaw on. mine love these and guard them weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For wings I usually bash them in one or two places to break the bones (to save my knives cutting the bone lol!! :p) and then cut them up.

Advertisement