Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Life cover

Options
  • 02-05-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

As a condition of my mortgage with BOI i have to have Life cover.

I have been sent out a renewal with ''Standalone specified Illness'' and ''Lump sum on death'' cover on the schedule.

My question- Are both types of cover necessary?  Can i just take the ''Lump sum on death'' ?

Im trying to keep cost down as much as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You don't have to take out a policy with Bank of Ireland Life. What you need to cover a mortgage is called Decreasing Term Assurance. As the sum assured falls over the term of the policy, it is cheaper than a normal policy where the sum assured stays the same or even increases over time with inflation. For the purposes of covering a mortgage (from the bank's point of view), you don't need serious illness cover.

There is nothing wrong with those other policies, but for someone looking to keep cost down to a minimum (perfectly understandable in these straitened times), DTA is the best bet in my opinion.

Disclaimer : I work in the IT end of the Life Assurance industry and  am not qualified to give financial advice, so you should talk to a broker (you can find a good many brokers and online quote engines with google) to get advice that best suits you. They should be able to find a product that is the best fit for your specific circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi rekcaks, 

Many thanks for your post. 

The best thing to do in this instance is to speak to a Mortgage Advisor in your branch who will be happy to advise of the most economical option available. You can find a full list of branch contact numbers here

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

i have likfe cover with BOI since 2004 and its 73euro a month(fair whack).
    wondering whats the effect of me cancelling it?
    i have 18K + accumlated over the last 14years.
    can i recoup this money?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

seanin4711 wrote: »
    i have likfe cover with BOI since 2004 and its 73euro a month(fair whack).
    wondering whats the effect of me cancelling it?
    i have 18K + accumlated over the last 14years.
    can i recoup this money?
    thanks

Hi Seanin4711,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

Usually a Life policy is held to pay out a lump sum or a monthly payment to your family in the event of your death within a certain period of time. We would advise you to speak with our Bank of Ireland Life team as they will be happy to discuss this with you further. Please call them on 1890 309309 and they will be happy to help you.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement