Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings & Chiropractors?!

Options
  • 02-05-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Right, so I found this really ****in strange and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

So I went to a chiropractor for the first time two weeks ago to help me with some hip and knee pain I've been having for a few years in my right side. He took some x-rays, looked at my hips and all that jazz, then he started testing the strength of my arms and legs. He pushed against my arm, asked me to push back as hard as possible. I pushed will all my might and, well, it was pretty clear my strength was gone to ****. He did the same thing with my leg, and we had the same outcome. Then he started asking about my piercings. He was looking at my nose ring, and asked me do I have any other piercings, I said no (completely forgetting about the 4 in my ears but oh well..), and then he starts asking how long I've had my nose ring, and how long I've had my hip pain. I've had the nose ring about 4 years, and have only notice the hip pain in the last few years. He said "Okay, let me try something". With one hand, he put his finger on my nose ring and basically just squashed it against my nostril, while, with the other hand, he did the strength test again with my arm; only this time, maybe I was imagining it because I'm just too attached to my nose ring, but I swear to jesus he was PRETENDING TO PUSH BACK.
    Then he says "See the difference in strength that time?!"
    I honestly thought he was having a laugh, and kept waiting for him to be like "nah I'm only messing with you", but he didn't....
    Anyway, long story short.. he said that my nose ring is probably sapping all of my energy, and causing my hip and knee pain. He said that he's seen it before and nobody is really sure of the reason but it's thought to be possibly the nickel in the jewelry that just causes some people's health to deteriorate.. He kept saying "If I were you, I'd scrap it".

I tried a few days with my nose ring out, didn't feel any noticeable difference. Went to him again today, he was surprised there was no difference, but he also tested my strength today again (I had the nose ring out for this visit), and I think my strength did seem a little bit better, but again, I am wondering if I'm just imagining this.

I really don't wanna give up the nose ring yet, I feel so attached to it, it's part of me now.. He said to try a white gold one, or something made of better material (my current one is stainless steel I think).
    Anyways, I'm thinking of ordering one..
    Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar, or if my chiropractor is just a ****ing nutjob who dislikes piercings...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Suppose if the piercing was on a pressure point or something... None of my piercings made me weaker... That I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Beccadaisy wrote: »
    I really don't wanna give up the nose ring yet, I feel so attached to it, it's part of me now.. He said to try a white gold one, or something made of better material (my current one is stainless steel I think).

Maybe try a titanium ring, much better than gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

That really sounds most unusual. You should consider consulting an acupuncturist, as they will be able to tell you if the piercing is engaging a Qi line that may be affecting that side of your body.

As an aside (as someone who has used both) you may find acupuncture more effective for dealing with the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I cannot believe that you believe this guy telling you your nose piercing is causing you knee and hip pain. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beccadaisy

tfak85 wrote: »
    That really sounds most unusual. You should consider consulting an acupuncturist, as they will be able to tell you if the piercing is engaging a Qi line that may be affecting that side of your body.

As an aside (as someone who has used both) you may find acupuncture more effective for dealing with the pain.

Hadn't thought about trying that actually, I'll definitely look into it, I think acupuncture would be a bit more up my street anyway to be honest. Thank you!

• Advertisement

I cannot believe that you believe this guy telling you your nose piercing is causing you knee and hip pain. Really.

Don't think I actually said anywhere that I believed it? I posted this to find out if anyone else has been told the same thing, is all, because I find it extremely difficult to believe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Don't think I actually said anywhere that I believed it? I posted this to find out if anyone else has been told the same thing, is all, because I find it extremely difficult to believe....

And so you should. He's talking out his hole.

And so you should. He's talking out his hole.

That's what I thought, and why I won't be returning.

Gold has as much nickel in it as stainless steel so suggesting that is stupid... If the nickel was affecting you, the only metal that will help is titanium... It's complete ****e I might also say.

quote="retrogamefan;90223604"]Gold has as much nickel in it as stainless steel so suggesting that is stupid... If the nickel was affecting you, the only metal that will help is titanium... It's complete ****e I might also say.[/quote]

Well this settles it.I didn't know this. He clearly hasn't a ****ing clue what he's on about then.

• Advertisement

quote="retrogamefan;90223604"]Gold has as much nickel in it as stainless steel so suggesting that is stupid... If the nickel was affecting you, the only metal that will help is titanium... It's complete ****e I might also say.

Well this settles it.I didn't know this. He clearly hasn't a ****ing clue what he's on about then.[/quote]

Clearly... He assumes gold is more expensive therefore a better metal... He's talkin shiit like we wouldn't find out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Chiropractors are quacks. There is absolutely nothing scientific about their methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar, or if my chiropractor is just a ****ing nutjob who dislikes piercings...

All chiropractors are nut jobs (or charlatans).

Chiropractors don't accept germ theory of disease.

Go to a registered physiotherapist for an opinion that's grounded in science and anatomy and not the ravings of DD Palmer' a 19th century quack of the looniest order

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

tfak85 wrote: »

Hmmm maybe because the acupuncturist says it it might be more palatable? Perhaps a GP practising acupuncture would be even more believeable?

5uspect wrote: »
    Chiropractors are quacks. There is absolutely nothing scientific about their methods.

lol

Akrasia wrote: »
    Chiropractors don't accept germ theory of disease.

Neither do leading healthcare scientists....

We have a stray from the Aluminium Millinery Forum...

N8 wrote: »
    Hmmm maybe because the acupuncturist says it it might be more palatable? Perhaps a GP practising acupuncture would be more believable...

Nope. Horse **** for the barely literate.

placebo effect is very real. Maybe you should consult some angels/crystals/cards?

placebo effect is very real. Maybe you should consult some angels/crystals/cards?

Is that really your best reply - petulance?

Is that really your best reply - petulance?

Whether health insurance providers will pay for acupuncture (which we were not even speaking about in this thread...) is no proof that it works, and certainly no proof that chiropractors know what they are talking about.

Its called alternative medicine for a reason. its an alternative to actual medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If it was real medicine , it would just be called ............. medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My only experience with a chiropractor was...
    A. he DID cure the hip pain with a once-off manipulation
    but
    B. he kept telling me to come back in a week----then, come back in two weeks - to check for "alignment" or some such crapology - basically, to reef more money. Never again!!!

Whereas when I began to go to a highly qualified osteopath, he did none of that and gets really good results when the pain returns [which it regularly does,] (an old injury) - maybe every couple of years!

GPs aren't scientists. They do not do research. The administer their medical training based on research performed by actual medical researchers.
    The Cochrane Collaboration however performs systematic meta reviews of groups of studies to elucidate the efficacy of many treatments. These combine many studies and weights them based on their rigour.

Here is the result of a study on Combined chiropractic interventions for low-back pain:
    http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005427/combined-chiropractic-interventions-for-low-back-pain
    This ignores the other outlandish chiropractic claims, which they would rather you didn't know about.

Here is another for acupuncture:
    http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005472/acupuncture-for-insomnia

The pattern you'll observe is that when you look at all the data, rather than cherry pick the ones that agree with your view point you'll find that your quackery is in indeed quackery.

So the current Scientific consensus is that all alternative medicines are quackery. If they worked we would simply call them medicine.

katemarch wrote: »
    My only experience with a chiropractor was...
    A. he DID cure the hip pain with a once-off manipulation
    but
    B. he kept telling me to come back in a week----then, come back in two weeks - to check for "alignment" or some such crapology - basically, to reef more money. Never again!!!

Whereas when I began to go to a highly qualified osteopath, he did none of that and gets really good results when the pain returns [which it regularly does,] (an old injury) - maybe every couple of years!

Osteopaths are also quacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Dear Mod - strongly disagree with you on that! Just going by experience. This one treats rugby teams. Does a lot of deep massage as well as joints. No offense!

katemarch wrote: »
    Dear Mod - strongly disagree with you on that! Just going by experience. This one treats rugby teams. Does a lot of deep massage as well as joints. No offense!

I'm not a mod on this forum, you can talk to me like any other boardsie. :)

Back OT, you may have had good results from an osteopath but their treatments and beliefs are not based on science. They're as bat**** crazy exploitative as homoeopaths, chiropractors and acupuncture practitioners. They are usually refereed to as alternative medicines or even complimentary medicines. (I call them alternatives to medicine.)

At their most harmless they offer a placebo effect and at their most dangerous people can abandon evidence based treatments for them leading to serious, dangerous consequences.

There is very good evidence than massage etc can work very well, but not for the reasons that osteopaths claim! This distinction is important. If we claim that their methods work because magic, chi or what ever preconceived notions they dream up we have put a road block in our understanding and we cannot learn.

Science progresses by acknowledging its own ignorance. Everything is wrong but it's the least wrong idea we currently have. We will have better evidence to inform us in the future. This is troublesome in medicine as people are uncomfortable with such transitory position. Quacks exploit this with their matter of fact explanations of complex biological systems with simplistic magical thinking. "Your body is a temple", or "Your aoura is misaligned" etc.

In reality treatments are always improving. Equipment is improving. We've gtten rid of pretty much every disease that killed the majority of the human race. All that is really left is cancer and diseases and injuries due to our lifestyles. Many people who would have dies at birth can now live full lives.

The quacks have never sucessfully treated leukaemia. They have never reattached a limb. They have never performed a transplant. They prey on our aches and pains, mental health issues, those fuzzy and poorly defined problems we all suffer from - real problems - but easy problems to make a quick buck on.

GPs aren't scientists. They do not do research.

Im many cases they do.
    The administer their medical training based on research performed by actual medical researchers.

No in the main the practice of medicine is not evidence based.

Did the Cochrane Collab find in favour of statins?

Science progresses by acknowledging its own ignorance.

apparently not on this forum
    The quacks have never sucessfully treated leukaemia. They have never reattached a limb. They have never performed a transplant.

I have never seen any that claimed to ...

They prey on our aches and pains, mental health issues, those fuzzy and poorly defined problems we all suffer from - real problems - but easy problems to make a quick buck on.

Hmmmmm

Im many cases they do.

apparently not on this forum

Hmmmmm

now that's what I call petulant.

No there actually is a definition to petulant which summed up the tone and content of your reply when you had no answer other than to attack the player and not the ball.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/petulant

• Advertisement

Im many cases they do.
    The majority do not. Those that do would be attached to a university or similar.
    So your point in invalid.

Which parts? What does this have to do with chiropractors?
    Sure, knock yourself out.
    http://www.cochrane.org/search/reviews/statins

Because they know they would get called out on it.

Have a look here.
    Plenty of horror stories.

Advertisement