Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a bnb

Options
  • 02-05-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I had booked a bnb for myself and boyfriend for this weekend but due to financial issues we could not go. I had cancelled it on Wednesday by e-mail and heard nothing back. When I checked my bank balance online tonight (Friday) they had taken the money out for one night. Can they do this even though I didn't even stay there? All help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Deposit? When you booked you gave your payment details for a reason. Was a deposit mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

What were the cancellation terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hmplantchick

There was no deposit given and they only had my card details to secure booking no mention of terms of booking at all through e-mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These businesses would usually have a policy of one nights charge if you cancel After a certain date. You must have known they didn't want you credit card details for fun?
    Call them and ask what their cancellations policy is and ask where you were made award of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There was no deposit given and they only had my card details to secure booking no mention of terms of booking at all through e-mails.

That was a deposit of sorts. They take a card detail for just such eventualities as cancellations. Quite standard to charge a night for a cancellation. But check with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Think of it another way...

If you turned up and they said, "sorry but we gave your room to someone else" what would your reaction have been?

Basically you entered a contract. They could very well have charged you for the entire stay as they possibly turned away other booking and or had got food in to ensure you were fed for your stay.

Even if they have no cancellation policy, then by booking, you agreed to stay for a period and pay the relevant amount. I think you did well only having to pay for one night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Op, you provided your credit cards details over email??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

There's normally terms & conditions with bookings and cancellations.

Anywhere i've ever stayed and they require 24-48 hour notice to cancel. Depends on the place.

More like they never read their emails.

Advertisement